Book shelf speakers for SE tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx. I've switched to black instead of clear on the bezel ring... i think that is a further improvement.

Seen here on Alpair10.2

A10eN-copper.jpg

dave

What's the theory behind thinner wire? Can it really sound good? And Dave, what about that cryo wire you mentioned?

What is the gauge and how many feet of wire are in voice coil of the average 4" F/R driver? I wouldn't be surprised if it's longer than many of us are running from amps to speakers, and certainly less than inside the speaker enclosure.

Try it, you might be surprised - the "theory" is that less is more - that's called chumming the water

Yes, Dave's cryo wire is CAT5 (still plenum or teflon insulation, IINM)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What's the theory behind thinner wire? Can it really sound good? And Dave, what about that cryo wire you mentioned?

Malcolm Hawksford did a paper on the theory, although it is contested by some, Malcolm stands behind it.

Starting from there we started experimenting (we already had thick braids of CAT5... and it just kept getting better until we tried less than 2 strands (then it didn't work at all :D).

Cryo we haven't done a direct comparo, but it can't hurt -- it certainly made a difference with vacuum tubes i've tried.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Quick (stupid) question about the brace,

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess the contact with the speaker and the brace is important. (So only the cone moves forward and the speaker cannot move back, so all music information is projected)?

How much compression is put on the Alpair basket? Are we talking .5mm 1mm. ie how high above the recess does the speaker sit before being bolted down. Or is it just in touch with the brace when placed in the recess so the compression of the gasket gives the pressure?

I guess putting something soft between the brace and the basket defeats the point ie zero backward movement.

I assume Dave / Chris have a quick sure method without having to trial and error it.

Guess what piggin smileys still arn't working...LOL

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
1) No compression on the basket - yes, getting the brace to fit just firmly enough to the magnet (including compliance of gasketing) and all 4 panels is one of the more fiddly parts of the fabrication. And since it entails a lot of dry fitting with driver installed, careful handling of metal coned Alpairs and CHRs is very important - they're not as rugged as paper - so far I've managed to crease 1 each CHR70 and A7

2) mirror imaging of the off center braces would be a little OCD, don'cha think? :wink:
- I mean - probably not necessary :big grin:

yeah, where are those smilies when you need 'em?

nice work so far on the boxes

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
1) No compression on the basket - yes, getting the brace to fit just firmly enough to the magnet (including compliance of gasketing) and all 4 panels is one of the more fiddly parts of the fabrication. And since it entails a lot of dry fitting with driver installed, careful handling of metal coned Alpairs and CHRs is very important - they're not as rugged as paper - so far I've managed to crease 1 each CHR70 and A7

2) mirror imaging of the off center braces would be a little OCD, don'cha think? :wink:
- I mean - probably not necessary :big grin:

yeah, where are those smilies when you need 'em?

nice work so far on the boxes

Thank's for the help - i did mirror the braces. LOL

What are your thoughts on the foam gasket with the Alpairs. Does it make any difference? Ths seal seems quite good on the Alpairs.

The only smiley I can get - :) One of these : and one of these ) ..LOL

Regards
M. Gregg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I guess the contact with the speaker and the brace is important. (So only the cone moves forward and the speaker cannot move back, so all music information is projected)? How much compression is put on the Alpair basket?

Yes. you do not want to put any strain on the basket.

Or is it just in touch with the brace when placed in the recess so the compression of the gasket gives the pressure?

Yes

guess putting something soft between the brace and the basket defeats the point ie zero backward movement.

Depending on how compliant it is, it will act as a low pass filter on the energy being shunted away from the driver.

I assume Dave / Chris have a quick sure method without having to trial and error it.

Chris is the guy.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.