"Bonsai" decorative Ipod system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
^I have that same table saw! That thing is the BEST! 100% even fence, 100% of the time!

Unfortunately it's not mine, but I get to use it whenever I want and I didn't have to pay $400. The girlfriend's dad had lent it out once or something and I noticed that nothing would cut right afterward. I figured out how to get the rack/pinion set right (one side was off by a tooth) and it was great. Wish I has the dust hood though.

Glue joints in MDF...:eek:! Spudfrog, you have all my prayers (which won´t help much).

I've had good results sofar with the paint I've used even with joint lines showing up. On this project, however, I'll be using a bit of overkill with the bondo this time. As of right now, the only exposed joint on the pods is the one on the roundover. The buildup on the middle of the pods is about a mm or so thick, so I should be able to lay some down around the edge (going to use a soft plastic binder insert to wipe so that I can match the contour of the roundover) and feather it about a cm into the roundover.

I may also be using a matte finish on the mdf parts, which will at least hide joints from a distance (although I plan on there being none). :)

Well now that spring is back I'll be out working on this project a bit more, probably aiming to finish it up (completely) by May.

I've laid down 3 2 pretty heavy bondo layers and knocked everything down until it was just about level all the way around both pods. I mixed up a few small batches today to get small spots and holes, and I wound up losing 3/4 of a small batch because of the heat and the fact that the direct sunlight made my mix look lighter than it was.

These pics are from after sanding the second wipe. I clamped my orbital sander at 90* and ran the pods along that to cut down most of it, but it left a few grooves that I had to come back and clean up afterwards. It's much more effective for cutting down bulging layers on a translam. I may just mess around with different grits and surfaces under the paper (right now the sand has a pretty soft base).

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.