bohlender graebener rd50 dipole eq ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We need to know where you're located. Your profile only says United States.

I'm sure if anyone on here is close to you and is running some RD, they'd be more than willing to let you have a listen for free. I run dual Neo10 as mids and would certainly have you stop by if you're near enough.

Greg

Colorado but I travel a lot and will go where ever needed.

Damn I need a good reason for my company to send me to Orlando so i can hear studiotech's system. I saw the pics and can i say - yep makes the top 5 list for sure!

You are too kind! But, it would be a two-for-one listening visit. We can go to the studio and listen to those monitors we made too now that the dual 15" Rythmik subs per side are finished. They sound fantastic, but then again, I'm highly biased.

I really need to stop taking cell phone picts too and get some nice glamour shots out in the sun with the whole shebang finished.

:D

Greg

Phat Planet Recording Studios - Orlando Florida - Audiophile Quality Recording, Mixing, Mastering, Production

Colorado but I travel a lot and will go where ever needed.

I go to Denver often, but that doesn't help does it? The open baffles are not fitting in the overhead compartment! ;)

Thomas W. over at HTGuide Mission Possible is in Denver and has a ridiculous system based on RD-75, but I haven't seen him post in a very long time there even though he is a mod. You might stop over for a visit and fire off a PM to him. He is a nice fellow and was very accommodating when I requested a visit for a listen several years ago.

Greg

I go to Denver often, but that doesn't help does it? The open baffles are not fitting in the overhead compartment! ;)

Thomas W. over at HTGuide Mission Possible is in Denver and has a ridiculous system based on RD-75, but I haven't seen him post in a very long time there even though he is a mod. You might stop over for a visit and fire off a PM to him. He is a nice fellow and was very accommodating when I requested a visit for a listen several years ago.

Greg

Tom got back to me. We will meet up when he gets back from a trip.

Well if its really a big deal, I hope I dont use unacceptable language in shock.:D Seriously though, we were just meeting up. I didnt have any invites for a demo in his house yet. I'd settle for his opinion on what I have at mine.

No demos scheduled?!?! What? Sheeeet man, that's like a date with Tera Patrick and not planning on getting some...

But seriously, you gotta try to get to his place. I was just in Colorado Springs last month to visit the Broadmoor and then 7 Falls. You are in Central Florida when exactly? I will make sure to let you hear the studio monitors as well as my set-up. That might require dinner AND dessert!

Greg

No demos scheduled?!?! What? Sheeeet man, that's like a date with Tera Patrick and not planning on getting some...

But seriously, you gotta try to get to his place. I was just in Colorado Springs last month to visit the Broadmoor and then 7 Falls. You are in Central Florida when exactly? I will make sure to let you hear the studio monitors as well as my set-up. That might require dinner AND dessert!

Greg

Dinner/dessert is a done deal.

Um, do you actually know Tera? She can come too.

The peak is at ~5.5 kHz.

400 Hz 4th order surely is ok. I run my own RD-75's down to 180 Hz with 4th order XO.

Are you using the RD75 without any baffles as dipole ? In this case have you boosted the low end for the RD75 to keep the low frequency roll off flat and still are able to use it down to 180 hz with 4th order cut off without much excursion limitations ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Yes, I use the RD-75 as a dipole with a very minimal baffle, in fact just some foam tube to round off the edges.

The low end response depends very much on the listening distance. For large distances (several meters) there will be a slow roll-off starting at approx 1 kHz. This is because the RD-75 is line-source above 1 kHz only, and will gradually shift from 3 dB loss per doubling of distance, into 6 dB loss at lower frequencies.

I listen at very short distance, where there will be little or no low-end roll-off.

Wow Great thread. I first saw the RD75 while surfing the web 3 years ago for ultimate speakers and was mesmerized. My life has evolved around these speakers since. Wanting the ultimate 2 channel and great HT, I new I would need to multi amp. This had to be done on a budget.Having enjoyed my Nikko Alpha 220 power amp for years I have been scooping up Alpha's of the net for the past 3 years.Current count is 9. 1X440, 1X450, 4X220, 2X130 and 1X230. Fortunately they all showed up in great cosmetic (Sharpie marker works wonders) and functional condition. Scored a mint Anthem AVM20 of of CAM for $500 though if Emotiva ever releases their new processor I would be interested. Picked up 48 Peerless 630875 drivers on sale at PE 2 weeks ago as well as 12 Peavey ribbons (read Fountek NeoCd2.0) also. System plan is to have a line array of 12 Peerless, 1 RD75 @ 2 Fountek's in each main speaker. Center and 4 surrounds will be based on a modified Elsinore design (Google it, 1 forum has 160+ pages!) 4 Peerless and a Fountek in each. Crossovers, mike and stand just ordered this past weekend. 1 X DBX Drive Rack 260 for main L+R. 3X DBX Drive Rack for center and surrounds. Just waiting for PE to have a 10-20% off sale and get the RD75's and then the sawdust will fly. While I am comfortable working with wood and have a fully equipped shop doing 2 baffle's with 15 cutouts(12 truncated) is intimidating. May have got lucky as I found a shop in 2hrs away that does CNC cutting on a 1 off basis. In their pics they have done a few speaker projects.

Using the Founteks to enhance near field highs in my mains as my listening space is small. Had to take out a wall to get a 12 X20 room. LOL Eventually there will be a proper room for these bad boys and their friends.

Hate to inform the guy that cut his blown RD50's apart but BG will service them.

Stig hate to say but I am leaning on using BG's recommendation of a closed enclosure.

Cheers
Derek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.