Bogus amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sometimes it pisses me off when I see schematics like this published on the web as tested, functional circuits.(There is even a photo of the "prototype") Why makes this someone happy remains a mystery to me.... and this is not the only one, sadly. No I didn't build it (fortunately), but if someone does will wonder why it does not work.

Attachments

• 8-10-watts-class-a-mosfet-power-amplifier-1-.gif
    8-10-watts-class-a-mosfet-power-amplifier-1-.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 635
Am I really missing something? the bottom Mosfet is OK, that's a self adjusting CCS, but what on earth makes the upper Fet conducting, when both inputs and the output of the opamp is at 0V potential, therefore the Fet is shut down, lacking the necessary Ugs?

Last edited:
Am I really missing something? the bottom Mosfet is OK, that's a self adjusting CCS, but what on earth makes the upper Fet conducting, when both inputs and the output of the opamp is at 0V potential, therefore the Fet is shut down, lacking the necessary Ugs?

The DC feedback via the 15k will push up the opamp output voltage until the top FET both conducts the bottom FET's constant(ish) current and sits the output at 0v to match the +in pin. I.e the opamp output pin won't be at 0v but a few volts higher.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Looks OK to me apart from the obvious explosion risk (Lol, risk !... its a certainty) ;)

As others have explained, the opamp will bias the FET such that the voltage difference between the two opamp inputs are zero. That means the opamp output assumes whatever Vgs is required to do that.

In the meantime.... being curious about it, I knocked up the circuit on a veroboard with whatever I had in my spares box (IRF540-s, then IRFP150-s and OPA134) supplies +/- 16V, double checked everything, aaaaaand...

Nothing , no workee, opamp inputs, output at 0V, Idle current zip, this thing is dead as a dodo. Still, maybe I am doing something wrong (need other type ((non fet input)) opamp, different FET-s ??

In the meantime.... being curious about it, I knocked up the circuit on a veroboard with whatever I had in my spares box (IRF540-s, then IRFP150-s and OPA134) supplies +/- 16V, double checked everything, aaaaaand...

Nothing , no workee, opamp inputs, output at 0V, Idle current zip, this thing is dead as a dodo. Still, maybe I am doing something wrong (need other type ((non fet input)) opamp, different FET-s ??

The type (JFET, or bipolar input) of the opamp is not important. Maybe it change the offset, with few mV-s.
There must be another problem. Once Your ccs is working, the output of the opamp must be somewhere +2-4V.

Sajti

Hi Guys

dragonweed - the mosfet types make no difference to the circuit operation. The current source won't conduct if the upper mosfet is not on.

The opamp type won't matter too much as far as having functionality. Do you have power to the opamp? most schematics do not show that.

The mosfets should also have gate protection zeners. The CS only needs a single 12V with cathode to the gate and anode to the source. The upper mosfet should have back-to-back zeners. These do not effect operation but protect the gates from ES discharge.

If you pull the opamp and ground the gate of the upper mosfet, both mosfets should warm up instantly as there will be a path through both.

Have fun

Sometimes it pisses me off when I see schematics like this published on the web as tested, functional circuits.(There is even a photo of the "prototype") Why makes this someone happy remains a mystery to me.... and this is not the only one, sadly. No I didn't build it (fortunately), but if someone does will wonder why it does not work.
As others said, the circuit should work as is: it has a few minor issues, but nothing that would prevent it from singing.

Issues I noticed:
-It a SE amp, meaning huge heat loss for little result (but if you chose that kind of topology in the first place, that's something you have to be ready for :D)
-The 100K is much larger than the 15K FB, meaning some offset, in particular with the 5532.
-The 220pF looks a bit large, and if the pole it creates is lower than the one caused by the MOSFet, it could unsettle the 5532.
-The positive swing will be severely handicapped due to the threshold voltage of the MOS and the OP voltage of the opamp. With low supplies, it could become problematic

None of that should be fatal, and if the amp simply doesn't work, there must be some obvious error, like wrong pinout or similar

Last edited:
Conclusion for next time I post something stupid...... This morning I realized, that the transistor in the CCS was wired reversed :(, that was what made it not working.
Now it is OK, works as it was hoped for. Sound is OK, but not outstanding, ACA beats it by large.
Thanks for all of your valuable help and advices.

I've tried, (built ,tested, listened) a few class A amps in the past, but unfortanetly none of them came even close to the modified (dual supply) ACA I am using now... It is a shame, that -due to parts limiting factors- this thing cannot be made with much higher power. Just a few of them: Hiraga 20W, Le Monstre, several JLH-s, with bjt-s and mosfets, the MJamp, a few Nelson Pass designs.
Anyone has experience beyond these, that might be worth to try? Preferably SE types.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Nice little class A amplifier.

Check your board out dragon weed -it should work

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.