Bobbo's sub build (pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe it was an illusion that it was clipping at less than before, I must have touched the signal booster somewhere in between.

Nonetheless when I say half, I mean half, yet there's also another gain in the mix. The default on the booster is 50%, at that I can turn the amp gain almost to max, with the clip leds occasionally flickering at max level. It's not hitting well enough though, now if I turn the booster to 75%, the clip leds illuminate a little past half gain on the amp.

I shall definitely research gain structure and loudness curve so I can understand this. The sweet spot sound wise is when the clip leds just start to flicker, but then I'm at the limit and can't increase anymore... unless it's just too much power to the driver between the amp/booster? All in all it's fine, the sub sounds great.

You may want to reconsider your amp if you're still in the return window. The EP2000 does about 800w RMS into 8 ohms bridged, while the inuke 3000dsp does about 1100w RMS, and the EP4000 about 1300w RMS. These are are real bench test figures from around the net. You can go over the 800w rating of the sub by a good bit, some people recommend doubling it.

You may want to reconsider your amp if you're still in the return window. The EP2000 does about 800w RMS into 8 ohms bridged, while the inuke 3000dsp does about 1100w RMS, and the EP4000 about 1300w RMS. These are are real bench test figures from around the net. You can go over the 800w rating of the sub by a good bit, some people recommend doubling it.

Ahhh, that's fine then. I was more worried that I was putting too much power to the driver, causing it to clip. If it's just at the general limits I'm ok with it. The sub hits like crazy.

Ahhh, that's fine then. I was more worried that I was putting too much power to the driver, causing it to clip. If it's just at the general limits I'm ok with it. The sub hits like crazy.

There seems to be two schools of thought on this. The pro audio guys say to double the RMS power of the driver. Limiters are set somewhere the system so the amp never goes into clipping. This keeps the amp delivering clean power, which is good for both the amp and driver, giving better long term reliability to play for long times in questionable conditions. Amateur say RMS power matching the rating of the driver is ok, and a little clipping isn't to hurt the driver in lighter use. Sounds like you should be fine.

Another interesting option to consider is the inuke 6000dsp. This is two 3000's in one chassis bridged on each channel. You would run your current sub off one channel, then have another when you're ready to add a sub. Plus a bit more headroom, dsp EQ and a crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.