Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Joined 2010
Paid Member
September 2nd 2023... Petaluma..

Me: Hi, how are you?.. I'm Tony, you're Bob Cordell... jeez, that name sounds very familiar..
BC: Well, I wrote a book about amps.
Me: (pretty thick skin guy)... Duh! Of course.... Very nice to meet you.

December 29 2023

Book arrives at my door step.
Jan Didden's name appears in it.

Fun reading ahead for sure.... Happy 2024.

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your interest in my book, and Happy New Year.

I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that I have a new book coming out in April. It is titled "Designing Audio Circuits and Systems". It is now up on Amazon for preorder. It will be a tad bigger than "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers"

I originally had it in mind as a sequel to my power amplifier book when I started working on it in 2020. My original working title was "Designing Audio Preamplifiers", but decided I wanted to cover more audio topics, including pro audio topics and equipment.

Cheers,
Bob

Reactions: 14 users
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Preordered!! Thanks Bob.

+

Attachments

• bought.png
    bought.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: 2 users
Looks like it at least touches on DACs. Wondering how deep it goes?
The DAC chapter includes discussions of the analog output circuits, reconstruction filters, R2R and oversampling DAC,s. It also covers matters of effective bits vs. oversampling ratio, noise shaping, aliasing, interpolation, decimation, SPDIF conversion to I2s and clock recovery and jitter.

Cheers,
Bob

Reactions: 1 users
The DAC chapter includes discussions of the analog output circuits, reconstruction filters, R2R and oversampling DAC,s. It also covers matters of effective bits vs. oversampling ratio, noise shaping, aliasing, interpolation, decimation, SPDIF conversion to I2s and clock recovery and jitter.

Cheers,
Bob
Close-in phase noise? ASRCs? FIFO buffering? Discrete resistor DSD dacs? Powering clocks for lowest phase noise? Sigma-delta PWM?
If not such things, the forum will be ahead of your book.

Last edited:
I'll read it. Maybe you know something I don't. Maybe I know something you don't. That's all. Your last book is very good, IMHO. The new book may be a little light on a potentially complex subject. We have serious people looking at spectral line noise skirts, among other things. Signal correlated noise is also a significant thing with DSD dacs, not to mention with some pcm dac I/V opamps. I would just hope you would cover such things for beginners. PMA posted some good articles at ASR on EMI/RFI effects on opamps. KSTR posted time domain waveforms of ESS hump distortion (if one considers that as a type of unusual distortion).

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
Great to hear! Your previous books are very good.

You know what may be helpful Bob? Relating from what is textbook perfection to what actually does matter in the real world. Too many folks lose sight of the entire picture in systems and end up with compromised results if you know what I mean. This is just a message that has to get out there.

This is a very good point. I have tried to do that, but sometimes that can be a challenge with a limited word count. I hope I have done an adequate job of that in the new book.

In the second edition of my power amp book, with some of that in mind and helping people see the big picture in advance of the detail, I include the early chapter on designing and building a specific audio power amplifier, the BC-1. In this new book I have included an early chapter on designing/building an audio preamplifier with that same goal in mind.

Best regards,
Bob

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member

I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that I have a new book coming out in April. It is titled "Designing Audio Circuits and Systems". It is now up on Amazon for preorder. It will be a tad bigger than "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers"

I originally had it in mind as a sequel to my power amplifier book when I started working on it in 2020. My original working title was "Designing Audio Preamplifiers", but decided I wanted to cover more audio topics, including pro audio topics and equipment.

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks... hoping you all had a Happy New Year too.

OK, Bob, OK, you are a hard master on such... now I have to finish reading the Audio Power Amp book before April 24th!

Got my order in.

Thanks

BTW: To anyone how hasn't met Bob, he really is a nice guy and very interesting, fun to talk to. Heck, to think about it, the whole crowd at BA was really fun and educational to talk to. I might even offer to help set up next year, if only to get some free Lagunitas IPA... ;-)

Cheers,
Bob
Once again, thanks for a very much needed book in a very important and neglected area which is pro audio; PAs usually get all the attention. I pre-ordered it more than a month ago when the front cover pic wasn't even available on Amazon. I was glad to find out that you are not confined to power amps, and your book will surely be a breath of fresh air.

I wonder what Mr. Self will opine about you writing another book in an area in which, until now, he pretty much held a book monopoly, especially when it comes to pro audio. Of course that I am referring to Small Signal Audio Design, which, by the way, just came out in its 4th edition a couple days before Christmas. I still remember the back and forth between the two of you in this very same thread regarding your Audio Power Amps book. It will be interesting to read both books and compare your different approaches to other audio circuitry.

Really looking forward to reading your book.