Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Hi Bob,
I would really appreciate your opinion about this type of compensation, in some way unique (as much as I know). OITPC - Output inclusive TPC (not TMC)
I used this kind of compensation in all my amps last few years, it is quite robust, not critical in components tolerances and easy to get between 70 to 80 dB of the Loop Gain at 20 kHz.

Have you included Current Feedback Amplifiers in your second edition book? I have first edition and waiting for second one.

best wishes, Damir

Hi Bob,
I would really appreciate your opinion about this type of compensation, in some way unique (as much as I know). OITPC - Output inclusive TPC (not TMC)
I used this kind of compensation in all my amps last few years, it is quite robust, not critical in components tolerances and easy to get between 70 to 80 dB of the Loop Gain at 20 kHz.

Have you included Current Feedback Amplifiers in your second edition book? I have first edition and waiting for second one.

best wishes, Damir

Hi Damir,

I'll have to look at your schematic in detail, and I'll get back to you. In general, output inclusive schemes, if they have unity feedback from the output to the input of the VAS, like Cherry compensation, at high frequencies, may not be stable, depending on details. I'll get back to you on this after I have taken a look at it.

Cheers,
Bob

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Bob.

That's great news that the manuscript has been submitted.

Lets all hope that they are able to process and publish the second edition soon.

May I ask, who are you going with for the publisher for this section edition?
That is the plan and the expectation. The manuscript has been submitted, but the turn-around by the publisher can be quite variable. I'll probably know better in a few weeks.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Damir,

I'll have to look at your schematic in detail, and I'll get back to you. In general, output inclusive schemes, if they have unity feedback from the output to the input of the VAS, like Cherry compensation, at high frequencies, may not be stable, depending on details. I'll get back to you on this after I have taken a look at it.

Cheers,
Bob

Thank you Bob. This amp built for Richard Marsh is 200W version of my CFA and using the same OITPC compensation. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/243481-200w-mosfet-cfa-amp-129.html#post5475488
Best wishes, Damir

Joined 2016
Paid Member
That is the plan and the expectation. The manuscript has been submitted, but the turn-around by the publisher can be quite variable. I'll probably know better in a few weeks.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,
Bob
Hi Bob.

I hope you are well and enjoying your time after completing your book. If possible can you give us all an update as to when we may expect to be able to purchase a copy.

I hope that the publisher prints enough copies so no one misses out as the must be a lot of people eagerly waiting for the opportunity to read your second edition.

Hi Stuart,

That is my fondest hope. It did not escape my mind that it might be a good Christmas present to some :). The completed manuscript went to the publisher about 6 weeks ago. It is quite difficult to predict how long a publisher takes to get it into print, since there can be a queue of books ahead and the amount of time to do the copy-editing and composition can be a bit unpredictable. I believe that there will be some information on it at AES and it may go up on Amazon before it is actually in print. I'll be at AES NY in a week or two and will probably learn there. Sometimes pre-orders are taken on Amazon, so that might work for Christmas presents even if publication in print misses Christmas a little bit. Getting it into print before Christmas would certainly be the biggest Christmas present to me :). I'll keep you posted.

At RMAF now, and it has been a great show, with some fabulous-sounding rooms.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Damir,

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,
As your new book went to the publisher, probably you could find a time to look at the OITPC compensation. I would like to know if this kind (as a whole) of compensation was used before. I know what Cherry suggested, but in my knowledge it was never used as I described it in the thread.
Best Wishes
Damir

Hi All, I was going to purchase some 2N5401 from digikey and I noticed that they are now marked as obsolete.

Can someone please recommend a suitable replacement for the 2N5401 and presumably 2N5551

Thank you.

Mouser are stocking parts from Central Semiconductor - anyone here used any?

You can also get them in surface-mount packages from a variety of manufacturers e.g. the DZT5401/5551 from Diodes Inc.