Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Received mine today in another far-away place. From a quick skim through, I'm impressed how many complete amp schematics you've managed to squeeze in there:)

Thanks Abraxalito,

I love to look at schematics, so I naturally erred on the side of putting a lot in (despite the hard labor of drawing them all in VISIO). When I read a technical book, I like to see an average of one illustration every other page (in other words, open the book to any page and you will usually see an illustration somewhere). I also owe a debt of gratitude to McGraw-Hill for allowing me the space for so many illustrations and in a size that is not overly small.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Brian,

Given the many other far-away places where people have received books, it is a bit mystifying that it hasn't made it to the United Kingdom. I very much doubt you will have to wait until December.

Cheers,
Bob

amazon.co.uk still states "This title has not yet been released" and confirms December 1st. I'm a little bit disappointed in them. I'm growing impatient.

For those who ordered the book at amazon.co.uk and can't wait until December:
I just canceled my order at amazon.co.uk and put a new order at amazon.com.
Guess what?! I got an email stating my order has been shipped, the very same day!

Cheers,
E.

edit: And it's even cheaper: 37.76 instead of 41.47 EUR :D

Hi Edmond - I've not received mine from amazon.co.uk either. I was thinking about doing as you suggest, but I think I would have to pay import duty and VAT plus a handling fee before customs would release the book! Are Dutch customs similar?

Hi Ihan,

In our country, the following rules apply: For goods less than 22€ no duty and VAT at all.
Between 22€ and 150€ still no import duty, though VAT will be levied. For books 6%.
As for the latter, not that it really matters, as amazon.co.uk will also deduct VAT (£2.07=6%).
But in case of only one book, most of the time the customs don't bother to levy VAT.

Cheers,
E.

Last edited:
Thanks Abraxalito,

I love to look at schematics, so I naturally erred on the side of putting a lot in (despite the hard labor of drawing them all in VISIO). When I read a technical book, I like to see an average of one illustration every other page (in other words, open the book to any page and you will usually see an illustration somewhere). I also owe a debt of gratitude to McGraw-Hill for allowing me the space for so many illustrations and in a size that is not overly small.

Cheers,
Bob

hi Bob,
VISIO is a great tool, but i find LTSpice a better tool for schematic drawing.

hi Bob,
VISIO is a great tool, but i find LTSpice a better tool for schematic drawing.

It is certainly easier to draw schematics with LTspice, and I did use LTspice-drawn schematics for a number of the circuits, but in general I felt that the visual quality of the VISIO schematics was a bit better. For example, more control over line widths and font size was helpful.

Cheers,
Bob

It is certainly easier to draw schematics with LTspice, and I did use LTspice-drawn schematics for a number of the circuits, but in general I felt that the visual quality of the VISIO schematics was a bit better.

Certainly your VISIO drawn schematics are a thing of beauty in this book, especially when compared to the LTSpice ones (see fig 19.1 for an example). The square wire junction nodes give that a somewhat clunky feel. Overall I really appreciate the visual (rather than mathematical) feel of this book. Its reminiscent of that other great 'bible' in electronics, Horowitz and Hill.

I have a suggestion for adding to your website Bob. I'm guessing the VISIO schematics don't produce LTSpice compatible netlist output, so why not maintain a cache of LTSpice versions of the schematics shown in your book on your website? I don't suggest you spend time inputting the schematics again, but how about inviting readers to upload their own or send them to you by email? This way you'll facilitate experimentation with your circuit examples and potentially have some worthwhile reader contributions to the 2nd edition ;)