Bob Cordell Interview: Power Supplies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Ahh, those anecdotes 'but it sounds better'. Never can win there. Never learn anything there either ;)

jd

So, in comparison, how valuable are your own anecdotes about how your PAX amplifier sounds more like a class A amplifier than a class AB amplifier, along with the insinuation that this is perhaps because there is something magical about HEC over plain old conventional global NFB?
Enter the overly humble club of the masters of feedback!

Last edited:
So, in comparison, how valuable are your own anecdotes about how your PAX amplifier sounds more like a class A amplifier than a class AB amplifier, along with the insinuation that this is perhaps because there is something magical about HEC over plain old conventional global NFB?

Ok, point taken. Now, go back to those glowing things with pure conventional NFB and let everybody know how sweet they sound.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Because a soft supply can never perform like a stiff one, you will always battle to get the electrons to flow. :D

Why did Walt and you design a superreg if soft supplies are better?

OK, I agree that power supplies are important to quality sound, but the comparison was with soft. higher-voltage supplies leading to dynamic headroom, and stiff supplies with zero headroom, all other things being equal.
Maybe that is not a realistic proposal.
But on the other hand you can make a supply with for instance a capacitance multiplier that has pretty much the same performance whether it is fed by a stiff or a soft supply.
The point I wanted to make is that good dynamic headroom in itself is definitely going to sound better because it leads to less clipping. But I agree with you that if it leads to worse sound overall it should not be used.

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Enter the overly humble club of the masters of feedback!

Like all anecdotes; there may be something to it, or maybe not. You know how I think about anecdotes, right?
Also, I admit that if people tell me repeatedly how fantastic my amp sounds, I tend to agree with them. I'm a sissy at heart ;)

jd

But there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that there is. Is this just a mystery of life in audio, or is there a mechanism to explain this?

Bob

I think a lot of people are fooled by their ears.
I hear this all time about people changing speaker leads or PSU capacitors and suddenly the amp is wonderful.

While there is huge amounts of evidence as yet I havent heard much in the way of theory for why things sound so much better.
I can understand minor differences that only a scope or spectrum analyser might pick up but vast changes I really dont believe.

The point I wanted to make is that good dynamic headroom in itself is definitely going to sound better because
this is where we disagree.
it leads to less clipping. But I agree with you that if it leads to worse sound overall it should not be used.
to avoid clipping I use 100W to 170W amplifiers into 89dB to 93dB speakers, usually at an average level below half a watt.
I don't go and buy a high dynamic headroom amplifier that kids us all (nearly all) on that it is better when to me at least it is clearly not better at delivering high current transients.

But on the other hand you can make a supply with for instance a capacitance multiplier that has pretty much the same performance whether it is fed by a stiff or a soft supply.

The supply voltage will drop just as fast with a capacitance multiplier unless the transients are very short. Never tried it so I have no idea what its effect would be on SQ.

The point I wanted to make is that good dynamic headroom in itself is definitely going to sound better because it leads to less clipping. But I agree with you that if it leads to worse sound overall it should not be used.
jd

I believe if you have a problem with clipping, you need a higher wattage amplifier. To me a good indication of an amplifier's abilities is to see if it can come close to doubling its power into half the load. I hear the differences between PSU's at listening levels way below clipping, don't know why, perhaps the current transients into speakers are much more important for SQ than realised.

................. better at delivering high current transients.

............. I hear the differences between PSU's at listening levels way below clipping, don't know why, perhaps the current transients into speakers are much more important for SQ than realised.
A lot of us forget about current. We tend to major on voltage.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Ok, point taken. Now, go back to those glowing things with pure conventional NFB and let everybody know how sweet they sound.

You’d have a hard time finding any post of mine waxing lyrically over any alleged magical sonic properties of vacuum tubes.

Like all anecdotes; there may be something to it, or maybe not. You know how I think about anecdotes, right?

Well it seems to be that it’s fine to relate your own anecdotes to support a technically tenuous position, but highly annoying for someone else to do so (and worth complaining about). :dead:

Dynamic Headroom/Clipping

Hi All,

Janneman - you said that you thought an amplifier with a basic power supply would sound better at 100watts than an amplifier with a regulated supply due to the fact that the latter would clip.

You also said that most of the time you would be unlikely to listen at power levels above 10 watts - that being the case which would be better, the regualted or unregulated supply (assuming the regulated supply would be capable of suplpying all the peaks ever demanded of the amplifier when being driven at 10 watts).

If the amplifier is Class A and draws constant current (which is i believe the case with my Aleph-X) then what difference is there if there are no peaks?

I believe that regulators can affect the sound but what can be done to mitigate the effects? (i have lots of capacitance after the regulator, is there anything else that might be better?)

Getting more vaoltage

Sorry for this question, but i don't understand so i'll ask;

non-regulated supplies are supposed to give more headroom because they will allow the rails to rise a little if there is more power demanded - my understanding was that with a simple transformer, bridge and reservoir capacitor arrangement the rails were more likely to sag as more current is pulled?

Where do these extra volts come from? and how?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]Well it seems to be that it’s fine to relate your own anecdotes to support a technically tenuous position, but highly annoying for someone else to do so (and worth complaining about). :dead:

Not at all. It's only if anecdotes are presented as hard, scientific facts, it's annoying. You should really read more carefully here. ;)

best

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sorry for this question, but i don't understand so i'll ask;

non-regulated supplies are supposed to give more headroom because they will allow the rails to rise a little if there is more power demanded - my understanding was that with a simple transformer, bridge and reservoir capacitor arrangement the rails were more likely to sag as more current is pulled?

Where do these extra volts come from? and how?

They will rise a little is LOW average power is asked, so when a peak comes along, the higher voltage is there to reproduce the peak at a higher level and not clip (yet).

jd

A lot of us forget about current. We tend to major on voltage.

Current works great on driving low impedance drivers where voltage is suited better at driving high impedance drivers.

Either way it should be balanced at what ever your application is.
I would start with at least 750-1000VA for 2 channels if driving full range and half of that if driving mid/highs as voltage becomes more important in the upper frequency ranges where as for bass there more current than voltage required.

Also lets not forget the limitations of our output devices for both current and voltage break down while maintaining them in SOA.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.