BNC connectors a ggod alternate to RCA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From what I remember, BNC stands for stands for "Bayonet Neil Councilman".

Mr. Neil invented the N connector, Mr. Councilman invented the C connector, and they collaborated on the Neil Councilman connectors, which come in two types, Bayonet or Threaded. We therefore have BNC and TNC connectors. I think both these gentlemen worked at Bell Labs at the time they invented these.

J. L.

BNC Connector

Actually, BNC stands for "better new connector". It was invented at Hazeltine by Octavio Salati, my former senior year electrical engineering project advisor, before he became a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, PA (the home of ENIAC, the first large-scale digital computer). He was paid $150 by the company for the patent!

In addition to being a great electrical engineer, Dr. Saliti was a great lover of audio equipment and a wonderful mountain climber (he was my Dad's climbing partner in the mid-50's). He unfortunately died about two years ago.

BTW, my senior project was a click and pop filter for LP's. Dr. Salati told me that it was either that or to reverse engineer the Carver magnetic amplifier!

Dr. Salati's obituary from the Univ of Penn

-PaulyG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.