BluWave USB-to-SPDIF bridge, "a miniature beauty"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I forgot to say that I might add that small routine into the firmware but since I have no BluWaves left to play with it can be considered that I'm "playing blindly".

I'm speaking about adding that time delay to allow for external clocks to change their base frequencies. Since I'm fully aware that anything more than a certain time limit will cause BSoD on host, I'll simply copy they XMOS solution over BluWave's existing firmware.

Anyway, if there's anyone interested to upload this new firmware into his board on my behalf then I might come with a solution today or tomorrow. I put some instructions on a small .pdf document and I can link it if needed! I also recommend Windows as a base for firmware changes since I have no other good alternatives (so far). Driver will be kept at 3.34 since it's the sole one I have with DFU firmware reverse functionality.

Just let me know,
L

Noted, thank you both!
I didn't forget about firmware, I just really want to finish the new PCB for BluWave and give it a go. I'm already preparing all the technical stuff needed for PCB manufacturer hoping it will be done in this evening.
For all those interested, the 3D picture (TOP side) of the new BluWave is attached to this post.

Kind regards,
L

Attachments

• BluWave_Rev1.1_TOP.jpg
    BluWave_Rev1.1_TOP.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 274
Hello Carsten,
as it can be seen in my early post, I made a couple of small improvements to this board but nothing "special" or "mandatory" which your board should have.
The main reason for this small HW change was to add that relay which simply makes my life easier when it comes to testing boards. Not to mention that it will (hopefully) solve the startup problem when the SPDIF side is not powered and you are plugging in your BluWave into USB port... as been reported occasionally.

The rest of changes are rather minimal:
* one USB filter on data lines (since I put my eyes on it and wanted to do it for some time now)
* couple of additional resistors for LEDs on the board, including the 4-th green LED on the SPDIF side (to see if it's properly powered)
* small stability improvement for the XMOS processor (also I wanted to be there).
* and I have remove a couple of parts from the SPDIF output side which didn't worked as expected.

I'm sure that most of above changes can be implemented in your HW as well! For example, you can add your own LED on SPDIF power if you feel to do so. In addition, that USB filter might exist or not on your setup. If your BW can work without it then just ignore that filter.
If you want, for the relay I'll give you a small schematic which you can use to implement on your own board. Sadly you have to solder a couple of wires + parts off the board (due to limited PCB space on BluWave).

Just let me know,
L

Finally have some spare time to handle that firmware customization. :rolleyes:
Sorry about the delay!
But before that I would like to test out my latest driver from Thesycon (v4.11.0) which I have here since it will be used later on with firmware updates (if this driver does work properly). I finally managed to take that dfucons file needed to revert the firmware to "defaults" so now I consider it has what it needs to be fully used / tested!

I'll need some feedbacks form you before releasing it "on air" so anyone interested will get a copy, just ask!

FIY, it does work with BluWave and WaveIO as well... and since I have no BluWave boards left to play with I'll test it on one of my WaveIOs. :eek:

Get back in a couple of minutes with my first impressions,
L

ah, yeah.... I didn't get back in a "couple of minutes" due to one obvious reason: dfucons.exe on 4.11.0 does not work. :smash:
I did test this driver only on playback (and is doing fine here!) but never had the chance to do more until today.... when i saw it doesn't work properly. Anyway, I already contacted Thesycon so I expect tomorrow to have a breifly answer from them.

I'll get back as soon as I'll have some news,
Lucian

Last edited:
@ Carsten: I told you that you should have no worries with your BluWave! :p
ah, yeah.... I didn't get back in a "couple of minutes" due to one obvious reason: dfucons.exe on 4.11.0 does not work.
jDKSau9OOvNIegPEHzgIgZjSQACipLc2bowA9y3Nwd7agKDYDBnQ+1mNaBwOYCdjC5Bkkl1univKXWZvEpfCuVNOCYXs7TVUNlkNxsi0rO85Tq6I3f9PcnpmWIYf0NDGXo4ZoZ7NYKHjBo4RAsJADs=

I didn't lie when I said that Thesycon is responsive! :D I got a message from them this morning explaining why dfucons.exe doesn't work on my side. It seems that in their rush to release the latest driver, related user manuals were.. left over or not updated properly. Anyway, I took their advices and now dfucons is working as it should be. The procedure is a bit clumsy compared to what I knew to be the "old" dfucons but taking into account latest driver changes it's understandable for me.

I'll try to put together a small firmware update manual to help anyone in their endeavor to change firmwares on BluWave and equally on WaveIO.
Be back as soon,
L

@ doctormord: all is made with Draftsman => print screen => jpg.
@ Northernwind: I'll send you a PM with the changed firmware for BluWave. I managed to add 500ms delay but I can go higher (tested with 1 second too).
Anyway, I ran the initial test on one of my spare WaveIOs but BluWave is slight different! On WaveIO, the 1s delay seemed to be too much so I've split it in half.
Please check the firmware on your side and report the result!

As for the rest: since I don't have a BluWave + adding the fact that changing firmware blindly - as I'm doing right now - does come with some risks, I do prefer to test this new firmware on only one board and after I'll see that it's okay, I'll release it to the rest of you!

Thank you for understanding,
L

With Pavel's help (thank you very much!) we managed to build and test a new firmware for BluWave which will add 1 second delay when MCLK clocks are changed. With this new firmware, he said the problem listed here and here is gone but further tests are needed, hence this post!
@ audionootje and Fabrice (?): if I recall correctly, you had some problems too when switching MCLK freqs so, if you like/wish, please upload your BluWave board with this new firmware too and report back for any changes on your side.

Thank you,
L

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.