blue led at night

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks like practical solution wasn't presented here yet regarding strong light from blue LED. I just came across so called light tubes which are used to channel the light from leds in various electronic devices. One could use such tube in stereo equpment and place the LED directly behind the tube on the inside. The tube can be cut shorter and the LED attached with a heat shrink tubing. The effective light is nice diffused blue color without the eye blinding effect.;)

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 273
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Even though I like the blue light too, if I see it continuously, I might start to get kind of boredom. Even though one song is very good and big hit, if I listen to it continuously, I always start to get the boredom. Therefore, I am thinking of installation of three different colour LEDs: blue, red and green. So, I could switch among them, according to my current mood. It could be more exciting. O…? Extravagant…!?!?

JH

Most high intensity LEDs use the packaging to act as a lens and focus the light into a very narrow beam.

What I did to reduce the 'blindness' factor is sandpaper the outside of the housing so it has a frosted appearance. I also used the sandpaper to flatten the 'point' at the tip of the LED packaging to reduce the lens effect.

Upshot: the light from the LED is a nice diffused blue, and is much less annoying at night. With the amps off, the LEDs look like frosted glass :)

Sud

edit - HAH, i just saw how old this thread is! sorry! it showed up at the bottom of the page when I made a post, and I started reading it.....

Hey, there are entire forums of LED enthusiasts.. (candlepower forums, for one) You might have good luck finding a solution there. I'm SURE this has been done many times, and a simple schematic is out there somewhere.

I just wanted to mention something about the light from LED's. Monochromatic light doesn't make your eyes dilate. A relatively low power LED could blind you! (well, cause a small blind spot) Trust me! I used to be into LED's and lasers and stuff, and I have a few blind spots to show for it. High power LED's are actually lasers! (like, luxeon 1-5 watters come w/ laser warnings)

It IS an old thread, but it appeared in my "new posts" list, and coincidentally, I've just been working on a circuit to do this for my own DIY power amp - make the VU meter illumination and mode LEDs track room brightness.

It's slightly more complex that described by the OP, since I need the status LEDs to dim too, but be indepedantly switchable from the VU meter illumination LEDs
Here's the circuit I settled on after testing a few:

Attachments

• dimmer.gif
    dimmer.gif
    61.1 KB · Views: 66
Hi,

I think everyone who uses those newer blue leds has experienced the nice colour during the day and the somewhat high intensity at night.:cool:

Wouldn´t it be nice if it (the led) would change it´s intensity according to the available light?

Does anybody have an idea how this could be done (LDR etc.) in a simple way?

I did that. I made a current source with an intensity regulation pot, and a photo resistor in series with a pot. Very simple. One transistor and few resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.