Blown Volfenhag ZX-7180 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a blown amp off ebay and had my money completely refunded, however I never had to return the amp to sender.

Its an older Volfenhag ZX-7180, very flee market looking. The amp will power on its lights and the heatsink fan but it does not create any output on the speaker channels.

I opened the amp up and I didnt see any signs of burn on the board however there are a few areas around several transistors that appear to have corrosion on the diodes and resistors leading to them.

Any ideas? Is there a good way to check if these components are what failed? I can post pictures if it helps.

It sounds like the amp got wet.

Photos would be helpful.

Clean the board with contact cleaner and a toothbrush if the corrosion is heavy.

Checking the components in the board may not tell you much unless they are shorted or open. Leaking diodes and out-of-tolerance resistors can be difficult to find unless you remove one leg from the board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.