Blocking cap for subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not recommending series caps but if you have to...

If high currents are involved the only really safe way (for the cap) to use back to back electrolytic caps is to jump across the caps individually with high current, low forward voltage Shottkey diodes that conduct the current when it is flowing in the direction opposite to that which the electrolytic cap is labelled.
I have used this to tune out the inductance of large moving magnet linear motors, but it is still a non ideal method to accomplish this as motor run caps are much "sturdier" and bipolar caps are getting larger in value every year.

Dave

Ping. Best approach now-a-days to driver protection?

How about this little Velleman kit or equivalent home-brew boards? Any dangers to this approach? Limitations?

https://www.parts-express.com/velleman-k4700u-2-channel-loudspeaker-protection-kit--320-264

Historic note: in days of yore, a major concern was systems that produced high frequency harmonic distortion notes, esp, high up frequencies that fried tweeters.

Ben
motional feedback, the final frontier

that was 30 some years ago on the preamp transient - the culprit besides myself forgetting was a Citation IV feeding a Citation 12. Tell me how to juggle the heater, power supply and internal constants so it can't happen without any relay protection. The line stage was a 12ax7 cascade pair with cap coupled NFB from 2nd plate to 1st stage cathode. Medium mu anode followers make nice buffers but I've not built for ~20yr. I paid about $9 each for 600vdc 600uF polypropylene

So.... what's the latest thinking on protecting drivers? (BTW, since I am going back to motional feedback experiments, I sure need protection for my drivers having destroyed an expensive woofer last time I experimented.)
Ben,

The D-Fend is probably the most robust and adjustable driver protection technology available:

D-fend? Loudspeaker Protection Technology | Eminence Speaker

It can handle (dissipate) 300 volts (more than enough to protect against "Flame Linear" PSU rail voltage ;^) and still sound musical as it clamps down.
Peak and RMS voltage and hold times can be adjusted individually at different frequencies to make virtually any loudspeaker "bulletproof", assuming they are set conservatively enough.

I have a never used earlier version of the unit I'd sell for a bit over the shipping cost, PM if interested.

Art

" I'm not looking to switch expensive amps, just to add protection. Likely true of OP too."

It can all be done externally as well.

I've been thinking about a crowbar circuit that could attach right at the speaker leads.

I change the filter in either the EQ or the crossover, or the amp, whatever is the easiest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.