Bliesma M74 series 3” dome midrange lineup

On the other hand, even Amir from ASR admits that his speaker measurements only correlate about 80% to perceived sound (can't find those posts now) and often says that distortion is relative

Edit: Found the post

Amir correlation.PNG

I also tried a crossover variation using the technique Joe Rassmussen employs in the Elsinore, a very low order blend, steepening up an octave below the crossover point with tweeter inverted so that as the tweeters impulse rises back up it meets the woofer. The M74P's twin resonant peaks might make this difficult in real life, or maybe not. I am interested in testing differences in vertical directivity in the next few designs I make. The six pack image also has the Horizontal ERDI, to show that it is the vertical response that causes the DI to vary.

Attachments

• M74P-TX29WG-Inv-Twt-Six-pack.png
    M74P-TX29WG-Inv-Twt-Six-pack.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 97
  • M74P-TX29WG-Inv-Twt-Step.png
    M74P-TX29WG-Inv-Twt-Step.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: 1 user
A pair of M74P drivers have found their way to me 😀
Hi @fluid , it's been a while since you have the M74P. I would like to hear you opinion on this mid driver as compare to the other version of the M74 series. I am currently using the Satori Textreme MW16TX woofer with the TW29TX tweeter, personally I find this combination sounds a bit too clean and clear to my liking, hoping to find a mid driver that can sound more "organic". I am hoping one of the M74 series can help with that.

I would like to hear you opinion on this mid driver as compare to the other version of the M74 series.
I don't yet have an opinion on the M74P and I have never heard or used the other versions so I doubt that I will ever be in a position to help decide between them based on personal experience. I do have a pair of T25B on their way to me now. Ever so slowly moving towards making an actual speaker with them :)

Reactions: 1 user
The M74S doesn't sound "soft"! There are a lot of details still with this midrange!
I had the direct half blind comparison to M74A, both corrected to 0,5dB and in their dedicated frequency range. The difference is not like night and day, with some songs you barely notice it. But over all the S version is more "friendly" and takes the edge from the source material. Good when you want to just listen to music. The A version is very honest and this gives a feeling of "truth" and a very natural reproduction. I have the feeling I can "trust" what I hear and that's important in an professoinal environment.
(be aware - I don't listen to these drivers in fullrange cause that makes no sense. When doing so you will come to totally different conclusions!)

The membrane of the S is really thin and light and not too stable - it's designed for a sound goal. ATC dome is more rigid. But the suspension probably has more losses? I would GUESS it will sit in between soundwise but also could be similar to the S.

I will try and do a comparison of the M74B and A in the next 2-3 weeks - when somebody sends me a M74P ...

Reactions: 1 users
"half blinb" comparison cause I have the midrange drivers sit next to each other horizontal in my test rig and while I didn't do the switching we can identify pretty small vertical offsets with our ears. So you know if the right or left midrange is on after switching.