Blackgate F series 680uF 65v!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Almost 100% of BlackGates on ebay are fake these days, real NOS parts got used up years ago

Authentic BG PK and STD are/were available at fairly low prices until a year or two ago. All the EBay PK and STD are very likely to be genuine NOS resales. Similarly, all the Fs with the 8 vent - that's the old Rubycon pattern. They may have dried out considerably, but they're authentic BGs. The 680/65 F from Indonesia is very likely genuine, but probably a bit dried out and hence not as desirable as later FKs and STDs.

If in doubt and are willing to sacrifice a BG, just cut open one. If the material between the foils looks like finely-ground black pepper, it's most likely an authentic BG.

The only EBay BGs I'd be wary about are the high-voltage FKZ, WKZ, etc., because of the high price - the loss due to a single fraud can be considerable.

Panasonic FC, FM, etc., are nowhere close to any BG on sonics. They're just generic low-ESR computer-grade caps with magnetic leads, and can have harsh LC resonances if carelessly laid out. BGs are generally moderately high ESR, but very linear, non-magnetic and completely free from LC resonances - there's never any need to bypass a BG with a small-value ceramic or film cap to clobber ringing, and moderately long trace lengths are perfectly fine - it does not easily create a high-Q LC tank circuit with a BG.

Thanks Linuxguru very much for your comments. The
person I purchased the caps mentions that the caps are
checked and in good working condition, so I have a ray of
hope. Also I will try to revive them in the way Jesper
suggested...I took a chance before BG evaporates from us.
Thanks again.

Regards
Roushon.

The person I purchased the caps mentions that the caps are checked and in good working condition, so I have a ray of
hope.

Relax, you can search the web about the caps and you will come up to several DIYers using exactly the same caps, and they have no complaints about the caps (they are my friends actually).

I still have some stock that I regularly take out to build new amps. They are fine.

May be Linuxguru was right that the "lack of quality" (compared to my other BGs) could be caused by dried electrolyte.

I just assume that they need some time to "break in".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.