black gate capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Part of the fun of reading some threads here is in trying to decipher the cryptic mish-mash of words that come from non-native speakers

Funny you'd say that...I usually experience quite a lot more difficulty the other way around.:D
BTW, while I'm being cocky...I could still correct your own sentence if asked nicely. :angel:

Fedde,

Your English is fine.
Enjoy your holidays...
I'm secretely hoping we'll still be getting something more worthy of the name Summer this year...sigh. :dead:

At that moment I tried MKS4. Well, then the electrolytic really sounds warmer

That's understandable.
I don't quite agree with the reasoning behind prefering the electrolytic cap though...Let's leave that for after the holidays perhaps.

Cheers,;)

SimontY said:

That's a wee bit harsh mate!

Not everyone on DiyAudio has a perfect grasp of English grammar and syntax, nor should they!

I think Mr. DeGrove was suggesting that a prior post *implied* that the 100uF caps at issue were electrolytics. His reference to knowing how to read was in response to a post accusing that he was merely assuming the caps were electrolytics, when in fact he was quite reasonably inferring they were.

Now that I'm here... What does anyone think about the sound quality of pink Elnas? I don't know what they're called I'm afraid :xeye:

It's just I was thinking I might replace all the caps in my amp. - they're all either pink or brown Elna rated 47uF/63v. PSU is 2x6,800uF/50v Aerovox, which probably aren't easy to improve on. All the caps are naked, which was a considerable upgrade already... Much more like real music now :D

Specifically I wonder how the Black Gate sound compares to my Elna sound (the stock caps in a Roksan Caspian).

BTW, I wasn't very serious about my English comment, and I know my own grammar and punctuation can be picked at ;)

:clown: :smash:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
SimontY said:

Part of the fun of reading some threads here is in trying to decipher the cryptic mish-mash of words that come from non-native speakers :D

That is a very funny remark :) I have seen the most weird misunderstandings between native speakers, let alone the cryptic way some write their own language !

About the pink Elnas. Wasn't there a series name on the sleeve like for example RE2 ( this is an older standard series ) besides the ratings ?? Don't tell me you threw them in the bin already ;)

It seems that replacing the already special series wil not bring an enormous improvement. Elna is known for producing good quality stuff, I would not even think of replacing the Aerovox ( only when they're older than 10 years, *maybe*).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
zagisrule! said:
I'd bet Black Gate is just a normal Rubycon in a different wrapper....they are both made by Rubycon.

Does anyone have any normal Rubycons to compare to Black Gates?

-Matt

About the same comparison like for example between Porsche and Volkswagen ( that belong to one and the same company AFAIK ).

Amongst others Rubycons production lines are used to produce batches of the patented Black gate caps. So Jelmax is only using the production facilities of Rubycon and don't has to build a factory itself. Please read post #24 again that shows a letter send by Jelmax stating that the japanese "L company" will seize production of BG caps.

Comparing BG to regular Rubycon caps is like comparing apples and pears.

jean-paul said:

About the pink Elnas. Wasn't there a series name on the sleeve like for example RE2 ( this is an older standard series ) besides the ratings ?? Don't tell me you threw them in the bin already ;)

It seems that replacing the already special series wil not bring an enormous improvement. Elna is known for producing good quality stuff, I would not even think of replacing the Aerovox ( only when they're older than 10 years, *maybe*).
Hello Jean-Paul,

I don't remember there being any name on the pink ones, but I'm sure I've seen them sold as 'audio-grade' somewhere, maybe RS Components.

I believe the brown ones are standard, cheapest Elnas (they were not Silmic, which I think is also brown). I have the sleeves still, so I will study them this evening, when I get home.

Out of about 35 caps about 15 were pink and 20 brown, so presumably the shiny pink ones sit in the more important locations, and brown are just normal and in less important places.

I actually had some thoughts about replacing the BHC Aerovox, then I realised a) they are very large physically for their value, b) have a good reputation, and c) are not very cheap. Oh, and d) larger sounded crap in this amp when I paralled some 10,000uF ones in - lost all punch and mid-bass agility, and the sound became dull and velied. Deep bass was better though :) (I was warned this would happen, but I had to hear it for myself, it was a RELIEF when the added caps came out!)

It looks like I'm probably wasting my time swapping caps in this amp - I guess they're already quite good. The lack of special ability in the amp perhaps comes from design, not component quality.

cap_lineup.jpg

Any of these look familiar?

The Elna Stargets are "Wine Red" according to their catalogue.

The site I found the pic on might be of interest to some
Dare to compare!

Regards
James

analog_sa said:

In any case you seem to have developed decent listening abilities playing with the amp, which alone is worth the time and effort.
:)

My listening skills are slowly improving, I'm sure.

I improved the sound of this amp hugely by placing it on a plywood plinth. I really hardly need to improve the system now, if I'm honest.

I think it is the [shiny] Starget.

Gotta go, being beeped!

Re: Birchwood

Elso Kwak said:

Try virgin birchwood!
:clown:
Thanks for the tip, but plywood as a platform (under amp and cd player) sounds correct to my ears, compared to not having it there - the components would be sitting directly on my MDF shelves. Plywood is also cheap - the amp's piece came from an old rocking chair seat, and took my overall sound quality to a level I'd been waiting a long long time for :D

Of course, I realise you're just poking fun. But I find it surprising that in this day and age some people think materials aren't important in determining sonics. Getting those resonances right has gotta be more significant than soldering in a few Black Gate caps...!!! :innocent:

(if you want music and not just hi-fi) :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.