• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Black 6V6GT - originals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Forgot to mention that for melodic NOS sound in the lower analysis and bass kick league, an economic tube is the Soviet equivalent. Some may go a bit worse for noises in a batch after some play though. They did on me at least, but don't forget, I used them in a very sensitive and weird application. In power stage with large swing and gain cutting OPT maybe I would never notice. Have listened to some far more expensive, but lesser performance Western NOS.

OT. Hey mhouston, my brother in law made your GC circuit during summer. He needed heavier psu caps than in most GC assortments, for he uses it on 50lt 4 Ohm speakers, and your tunings worked for sounding balanced, when usually people go small caps, 8 Ohm speakers and tune light. Exactly your psu values and snubbers MKT. We saw it on Uriah's website, was linked in Wikipedia. He did not make the high mass thing though, but very sturdy thick copper sections, doubling as inside sinks, in two 10mm self designed aluminum boxes . Included everything down to the mains filter. P2P silver 0.5mm single strand hook up and star ground.

I've made a few GCs. Got a link to a specific one.

He made the circuit of the one you hold in your avatar.:)
The Synergy. Yes great choice. No cct. brd. and lots of heavy iron. The women I sold it to, including one of my valve preamps with orange drops, loves it to death. Clean, detailed and plenty of bottom end.

Did you say your brother still uses it?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My brother in law made a copy of the synergy cct and psu, p2p with silver wire in custom boxes he also made. Heavy copper sections bind the panels inside. Doubling as sinks. I helped him choose a cct with gutsy psu (yours since it was balanced out for heavy caps), and I also debugged it in the end for him. He made a couple of small mistakes. We used 3886, the RC mute came handy for zero power on bangs. It drives 4 Ohm 50 litres bass reflexes for some months now in his summer house in Kefalonia island. He loves it.

Attachments

• DSCF1858.JPG
    DSCF1858.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCF1855.JPG
    DSCF1855.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF1859.JPG
    DSCF1859.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 134
My brother in law made a copy of the synergy cct and psu, p2p with silver wire in custom boxes he also made. Heavy copper sections bind the panels inside. Doubling as sinks. I helped him choose a cct with gutsy psu (yours since it was balanced out for heavy caps), and I also debugged it in the end for him. He made a couple of small mistakes. We used 3886, the RC mute came handy for zero power on bangs. It drives 4 Ohm 50 litres bass reflexes for some months now in his summer house in Kefalonia island. He loves it.

Looks smashing. Greek islands I take it.

Stayed in Greece, Samos, Mykonos and over to Turkey. Loved it. Ouzo and octopus for breakfast!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Kefalonia is over the other side to the northwest. Another kind of magic.

But enough sand and Ouzo OT.:D

Have you realized that you probably got the most sought after NOS there? Octagon means RCA. Probably a relabel for Australian Mullard.

Kefalonia is over the other side to the northwest. Another kind of magic.

But enough sand and Ouzo OT.:D

Have you realized that you probably got the most sought after NOS there? Octagon means RCA. Probably a relabel for Australian Mullard.
I am only going to keep the two batched and manufacture matched pairs and maybe one other as a spare and sell the others off.

They are: Radiotron Q46, Phillips Australia, Rdaiotron Q3, 22, Miniwatt Australia 6?

You welcome to them but I have no idea what they are worth. I tested all of them and they all work. If you want them make me an offer. I will probably put them on eBay at some point. So I have four if you want them. Get straight back to me.

Attachments

• 6V6GTSmall.jpg
    6V6GTSmall.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Me I am not interested. I have Tungsol reissue that I consider sonically equal. I am not interested in the collector's value side. If they had RCA stamped on them they could fetch top dollar BTW, but they are RCA indeed. Still very desirable by many. I suggest you post your offer in the swap meet section too.

Me I am not interested. I have Tungsol reissue that I consider sonically equal. I am not interested in the collector's value side. If they had RCA stamped on them they could fetch top dollar BTW, but they are RCA indeed. Still very desirable by many. I suggest you post your offer in the swap meet section too.

Thanks for the advice. I'm listening to the Radiotrons now. I wonder why I paid so much for the El34 Black Sables. These babies **** on them!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.