Bipole phone speaker?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've never really torn down a modern phone but wonder if it would be possible to get better LF response out of a common phone by driving the screen and back with a bipolar voice coil. If it could be better enough to warrant the difficulty in rearranging everything..
There is no empty space inside the modern phone. Packed with electronics and batteries.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The best way to do this is... a blue tooth speaker.... or an external DAC with built in battery, an USB-OTG cable and earbuds.

There is NO room inside a modern smart phone. None.

If you could 3D a deeper back shell, then you might be able to mount something there to give you a bit more.... "bass"...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I’ll use a wire.

BreifcaseHiFi.jpeg

dave

It's never going to be hifi, and the lack of internal volume would be consequential, and if it helped at all it'd probably take too much power. But I think the magnet assembly could be used to help divide the moving mass equally front and plastic back, so only one coil needed. Also the entire screen assembly would have to be bonded solid for it to work, which I don't think is how it is usually done. Too many problems and just a curiosity.