Bipolar Power Amp With Single Ended Input Stage Inpired by Mooly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Then how can a maximum of 20mA VAS current drive the drivers and the output transistors to full saturation when the IPS is a LTP ?

The VAS transistors dont even get warm, but LTspice suggest they should be dissipating around 3 watts with the current resistor values.

I did a quick test, i hooked a MJE15030 to a MJL4281, givig the base of the MJE15030 direct 42V rail voltage results in a 2mA base current with a two ohm load on the MJL4281 which is actually less than what LTspice shows.

This was withj my DMM set to the 20mA scale and wired in series between the base of the driver transistor and a pot, so i think Lazy Cat's comment about the IPS fits better than VAS beeing unable to provice the current to drive the drivers.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Using a trible deep EF actually did cure the distortion issue, my DMM must be broken.

A video of "Mooly the SE IPS amp" rockin out: Mooly the SE IPS Amplifier - YouTube

It's good to see a working amp. And another big advantage of the single ended input, it's very stable even in a lash up with less than perfect grounding and layout. Try doing that with an LTP and you might run into trouble.

Seriously though folks, don't you think a spin off thread might be a good idea if you want to work on and develop a bjt version ?

Don't bother.

I'm deciding to pull the plug on this project, had too many stability issues and i dont feel willing to put any more time on it... for now.

Implementing the DC servo just ended up in spiking toward the negative rail with any kinda signal input.

I also ended up frying my 2x30VAC ~200VA test psu transformer.

I'm deciding to pull the plug on this project, had too many stability issues and i dont feel willing to put any more time on it... for now.

Implementing the DC servo just ended up in spiking toward the negative rail with any kinda signal input.

I also ended up frying my 2x30VAC ~200VA test psu transformer.

Adding one more driver and quadrupole output stage would definitely solve the problem. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Tekko I think youre trying to build it too fast and making mistakes, its very difficult going wrong with this design. It does distort more than blameless but its not such a huge difference. If you a a Jfet available I can supply you a schematic of my own design that is sold comercially and is very well regarded, people think there is a mega complicated amp in there. :D:D:D
Its as complicated as Moolys amp, except for use of triple outputstage, nothing more needed for very good sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.