bipolar (BJT) transistor families for audio power output stages

The "Nine Plus" with such idle current - then I must have an ultimate amp after replace the operational amp ICs through AD797 or similar types. Interesting to know.
Regarded very similar topology to typical tube amps by using N-Channel MOSFETs and output transformers there are follow supplier:
Zero Feedback Transformer Audio Power Amplifier
and this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/24744-push-pull-using-only-n-channel-mosfets.html
This threads also of interest in this case (overview about topologies without solid state devices, that have reverse polarity):
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...e-ended-related-solid-state-output-stage.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...better-audio-non-complements-audio-power.html

The Zeus I'd seen. Hadn't seen the other one, but there are a few significant differences between these and what I was suggesting:

1. Both use low voltage rails. I'm talking about high voltage, like in a tube amp... say 350 to 450 volts.

2. The second amp is OTL. I'm talking about using regular tube output transformers.

3. Most classic tube designs I've seen do use some amount of global negative feedback.

transformer coupled amps can t match directly coupled devices amps..
it will always distord the signal in matter of tonal balance.
This is true only by use of bad designed transformers.
The influence of sonic transmission of well designed transformers is much more lower than the influence between e. g. low and high idle current through the output
There are some top class amps (only few SS amplifiers like EAR M100 or Susan Parker's Kits) on the marked that have output transformers inside.
The main source for H2-H3 distortion isn't the transformer - so I think.

Last edited:
The Zeus I'd seen. Hadn't seen the other one, but there are a few significant differences between these and what I was suggesting:

1. Both use low voltage rails. I'm talking about high voltage, like in a tube amp... say 350 to 450 volts.

2. The second amp is OTL. I'm talking about using regular tube output transformers.

3. Most classic tube designs I've seen do use some amount of global negative feedback.

The same consideration I have also some time ago.
But a serious problem for me is the heatsink mounting of the MOSFETs - it is very necessary for the isolated voltage special washer assembly (low Rth). Furthermore, the MOSFET is running here in the linear instead switched mode with 50 mA quiescent current at 400 V supply voltage. There are only few high voltage types for linear applications, e. g. from
http://www.ixys.com/

Are there any experience from other guy's here regarded 350-450V solid state amps??

Because the follow brands also sell their output transformers to a wide range of commercial amplifier manufacturers, I guess, the employers there can tell you more about such kind of amplifiers if should be there some models:

1) Lundahl Transformers, audio transformer and tube amplifier transformer manufacturer
2) Welcome at Amplimo BV
3) PLITRON - audio transformers - toroidal transformers - toroids - output transformers - current transformers - power transformers - medical isolation transformers - power toroids

Last edited:

For more of an example here, I have a ca. 1960 Harman Kardon A300 integrated amp... push-pull with 7408 output tubes (similar to 6V6) and 355V applied to the center taps of the output transformers. It would probably be possible to build modules based around something like a Fairchild FQP2N70 to plug in in place of the 7408's. Since it's stereo, I could actually A/B compare the amp with tube outputs to the same amp with MOSFET outputs.

This is what I'm talking about here: not making an amp whose topology looks a little bit like a tube amp, but taking a tube amp design, mostly verbatim, and swapping N-channel FETs for the tubes.

Polsol - you have 'hit the nail on the head', from what I have read, it is indeed possible to reproduce tube circuits with Mosfets and people have done this. They don't sound like tube circuits necessarily.

Usually people prefer avoiding the use of an output transformer. A good exception to this is the Zeus amp by Susan Parker (google it) which is pure Class A with VERY few components. The trouble with output transformer is that it is expensive to make one with good audio performance.

Interesting question, is 0.001% distortion already too good - what is a good figure probably depends on the listener as some people like the warm sound of an amplifier with 2nd harmonic distortion and others don't. I think I read in a paper by Nelson Pass that about 1/3 of people like a little 2nd Harmonic, another 1/3 like a little 3rd Harmonic and the rest like a combination or as low distortion as possible.

----

I just did some simulations of two bjt's set up as a simple 2-stage amplifier. With lots of feedback - low distortion. With local emitter degeneration and a little feedback I get higher distortion but nothing nasty. With very little emitter degeneration and more feedback to compensate I see lots of high order harmonics. All else being equal it appears in this simulation that emitter degeneration is less harmful than 'global' feedback.

In my simple world emitter degeneration can be thought of as other than local feedback. It can be thought of as input attenuation - the input signal across Vbe is reduced when the emitter is 'lifted off ground' (using ground as the signal reference) with a degeneration resistor and so the transistor simply 'sees' a lower input signal. Yes, I've gone mad - it's late and I'm going to sleep soon.

Interestingly, I think there are some perhaps poorly understood advantages to output transformers, beyond just the convenience of having taps to allow the same power output into different impedances. Just a suspicion on my part based on my experience building a tube amp. I note that McIntosh for a long time built solid state amps with output transformers, I think. Not and expert here.

Cheers,
Bob

They did and still do. The main benefit they quote is that, if your solid state output stage blows up, with an output transformer it won't be trying to feed 80V DC into your woofer's voice coil.

Of course, besides the impedance matching benefit, the output transformers give McIntosh a big advantage in the old "the best amp is the heaviest one" test. ;-)

Indeed. I forgot the existence of electrostatic speakers shortly after I heard a pair of Quads in 1982. This X10 is really scary - 5000V bias? Good for Hollywood action scenes where the villain is thrown head-first into the speaker and is instantly electrocuted. Presumably not recommended for bathrooms, kitchens and pool-sides.

Here's an interesting article on audio transformers: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/Audio Transformers Chapter.pdf
And here are some from Piltron: PLITRON - audio transformers - toroidal transformers - toroids - output transformers - current transformers - power transformers - medical isolation transformers - power toroids
And here's a DIYaudio thread all about it: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/157920-choosing-output-transformer.html#post2034780
I've no experience of audio transformers but it appears that they have plenty of bandwidth (25Hz-100kHz -3dB) and probably less THD than the speaker they'll be driving. Insanely expensive for "audiophile" quality by the look of it.

Last edited:
If you really like transformers you can use them alone as your amplifier - it's what they did before tubes were invented.

Here's a link to an example of a simple non-audio demonstration - oh and if you really like this link, go see the guys home made triode oscillator.

Homemade Magnetic Amplifiers.

Gareth,
embarassingly slow ? - the power BJTs we are using today have cut off frequencies that are way up there. Small signal BJTs can operate significantly faster than that.
Let me put it this way:
from a wider perspective, some problems may emerge, crawling up latently, intermittently much bigger than previously visualized under the influence of simulated laboratory model at random trip regime, having strategical focus on statistically predicting the past. In a somewhat deeper sense of analogy, it can be nothing else than a veiled virtual framework for generating mythic ruminations on a vaguely discernible formalistic phenomenon, refined to a high degree through superficial perseverance. Likewise, contemplating the general formula of parochial stationary opinion, which pragmatically examines various ostensible computational issues with unerring precision, including the fictional reminiscent characterization of abstract intersubjective field behavior, in a weakly ordered setting. Of course, it not just provides detailed quantitative insight into the classical sequential equidistance segmentation during arrangement exceptions, but also highlights standard difficulties involved, with the conceptual intent to neutralize the tactical influence of hypothetical pseudo-composite samples with a single cut. Now, to question the answers rather than to answer the questions, one being intimately associated with the other, more or less one in the other, we discover that due to irregular amorphous structural affinities in power BJTs, an empirical correction coefficient calibration is symbolistically invaluable. More theoretically, along with the studies that emphasize facilitating as well as integrating the concept of aspect as such, where a specific convulsive load is executed (twice), while contextualizing an autonomous code infiltration of foundational cross-genre representation on a significant scale, despite persistent determination, almost certainly loses its footing at cut off frequencies. In other words, at a certain level of ungoverned intensity, as a result of systematically growing coalescence rates, fluctuating conformers and other participating elements bring marked formation of sporadic turbulence into being, striking the laterally interior portion of the vertically peripheral zone, manifesting themselves as smoke particles, distinguishing core-criteria from academic affectation. Having said that, these legendary indicators reflect a chaotic non-equilibrium state of emergency, widely regarded as a disgrace, yet most indispensable to a truthful appreciation of semi-existent juxtapositional profile values. In the final analysis, given the fact that it is indeed a distinct variant with rather subtle dispersive impact, no effort should be spared to complement the results with additional evidence accumulated in the compliance agreement, strictly enforcing the possibilistic minimum sustainable increment method to closely fit the deconvolution calculations in accord with the error variance.