Binding posts from ebay?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A whole page of replies while i composed my post.

The long PEs suffer from the same issues as the Janzen.

The page Mara posted has a few good choices, no inexpensive ones. The WBT nextgen are more affordable than expected.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And they have the cable pods.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And for even more money they have the really bad WBTs

2 other notes:

Industry standard spacing is 3/4" (you should hear me swear when someone brings an amp or speaker by with non-standard spacing), and air post from here to you would be $10, the post a consideration if getting anything from overseas.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
For exactly what reason is it important to have them removable?

Because when you go to replace the cable you can not get at the inside solder terminal of the post. And if you do use them and don't install them & the wire before you put the last panel on, you won't install them at all.

What's a good way of making them removable?

A terminal cup of some sort. As simple as 2 holes for the minimalist posts Zia linked to, a 2" hole for the cups we use, or an aluminum or thin wooden plate to mount freestanding terminals on. Chris & i struggled with this for a couple years, avoiding the plstic terminal cup because they looked cheap. But in the end we realized that anything else added at least a $100 retail of labour to anything we tried, and then searched out the least offensive cup we could find... the 2" diameter cutout makes it a pain to get your fingers in to loosen or tighten the posts, but with the smallest hole to impact the panel strength. And in most cases, because we swap speakers a lot, dual pomonas just plug in.

We buy prepackaged red & black pairs from Mouser, but other colours are available.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Even the cheap round cups we use look good rebated into the back panel, If you want to add some bling fabricate some aluminum (or solid wood) panels and get a pair of the Connexx posts (if you look you will often find them on $5k+ amplifiers). Be warned that one of our criteria for posts is that they not stick out (far too easy for them to be damaged), so we'd mount connexx or Nex gens or cablepods into the cups for an upgrade.

Once you know what things like the Janzens or the eBay ones sound like they start looking pretty ugly. I have some of those eBay ones or similar i'll give away for free, but only with a warning. If you have to add shipping on top of the free they start getting to be not so good value.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.