Binding posts Brass vs Copper : does really makes differences ?

it's hopeless... you need earbuds and an iphone, ur done.

chasing the holy grail of high-end hifi is pointless, you can only get so far, because everything is an approximation and compromise. It's also virtually impossible to know if you happen to get any segment or unit in a system objectively "right". There is only the final subjective result that *you* experience. All the measurements and science in the world will never predict your experience of what you hear. No two people (apparently) have very similar experiences of the same system, at the same time or different times. Pretending otherwise is fantasy.

In the end what everyone is seeking in practical reality is a series of compromises that for *them* has the greatest number of those factors that they prefer and the minimum number of factors that they dislike. The listener may or may not be consciously aware of any or all of these factors, only what they perceive.

This series is *different* for everyone - although there may be many similarities in that list between people.

Also acts of omission (by the system) are difficult to identify - things that don't make sound or don't appear. That's something else to consider. Acts of commission are usually the ones that get the most attention, naturally.

Think about it...

you mean like .... 'no binding posts' :D

-that's exactly what I suggested to the OP's first "binding post" thread..

Seems he want's to have a "pimp'in" silver look, want's a higher quality post (than the decent ones he already has from Dayton), but doesn't want to pay WBT prices.. and never mind the fact that no matter what the result will be inferior to no binding posts. :eek:

bear, while I certainly get your angle and feel your frustration, even if I dont agree fully with all of it (certainly I do large chunks of it) I think you missed an important factor. The same person that is having that very different ear->brain response due to slightly different brain wiring, different life experience, different taste etc.

the reproduced experience, for many of us is judged by how close it is to our experience of 'live' sounds experienced through that same subjective matrix. there is a yard post; of course some lay-people may like sound that is not at all accurate and some modern music simply does not exist in the real world, but not everyone and that number would be less here I would think/hope.

plus, headphones and an ipod plus portable dac and headphone amp, can be pretty ******* awesome, similar to nearfield studio monitors. not ibuds though, those be rubbish.

qusp, you get the idea. what you say is fine, imo.

to amplify on your point, classically trained musicians have a difficult time listening to "hifi" especially to pieces that they know or know how to play. They are not hearing what a non-pro musician (lay person) hears at all.

but they tend to have little to say on the issue of binding posts...

:D

Holy cow! 146 posts.
I then should give a hand also.

... with this nice upgrade @polk
Goodbye Binding Post Cup. 1.2tl's - Page 2

Notice @vox olympian the space to maneuver around the binding posts with your finger tips. Good design and a lot to be said...
The vertical +/- they are too close to each other for my taste, tough. After all they look nice also (important because usually they are in the back, some in the front, and from here you almost know what is going inside, dynaco's apart...)
(vox olympian pic)

Attachments

• VOX OLYMPIAN.jpg
    VOX OLYMPIAN.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Crossover trick: I cut up about 50 positions out of the euro-blocks. I use them for prototyping crossovers. I found my bundle of EZ-clip jumpers did not always give a reliable enough connection and made measurements erratic.

I guess the difference there between me and you is that my finished xover would still have the euroblock terminals joining everything together. Mostly because I'm lazy. :)

(But on the back of the speaker, always a Speakon. If for no other reason except that our cleaning person can detach it, vacuum behind the speaker, and reattach it, without the slightest chance of flipping polarity, joining two poles together, etc.)

No, I don't think so. What do you mean?

It's just a binding post, that's what I mean. It may be styled slightly differently from other commodity parts that do the same thing in the same way, with the plastic cap, but design requires a bit more than minor physical differences. It's like the difference between a 1955 Citroën DS-19 and a 1955 Chevy. The former is designed from top to bottom. The latter is merely styled so as to look different from the previous year's model.

Yeah, OK, whatever. Go make your own binding posts from scratch, pick an alloy, come up with a new grip shape and a logo to put on them and then tell the world how you "styled" them. I would say you designed them.

None of that is industrial design, really. Except for the "grip shape," arguably.

But even that is more "styling" with a dollop "marketing" than "design."

Maybe it's a language thing?

Perhaps. Are you a non-native English speaker?

Last edited:
Pallas: it seems you are drawing lines where there are none, these relate to your own personal opinions/prejudice and have nothing to do with the definition of words.

It does seem that you are not understanding English correctly (this is being generous). Even if it were 99.9% styling and 0.1% engineering, it would be 100% designing.

Last edited:
Inductor,
I would assume from looking just at the picture above of the binding post that they are spaced for standard banana plug distances. I know most people here would not think of using a banana plug but people still do that, it is convenient if you are disconnecting the connections for some particular reason often enough. That is why you see the small diameter hole in the center of the center portion. Just try and attach some of the ridiculous terminal ends on many of the so called audiophile cables, all the room in the world won't help with many of them.

Pano,
I always space my binding posts for banana plugs. If someone wants to use them then they can without problems. I have never found that the spacing is to close to attach a cable to them if they are good enough to work and allow the binding post to tighten down on them. I have used some extremely costly cable ends that are a major pain in the rear, I won't name names but they would take a vise grip to tighten up on them..... I use banana plugs also when I am just doing a quick setup, so much more convenient. What I have heard but have not confirmed is that in the EU you can not use the correct spacing for an American dual banana plug standard as there are countries using ac power connectors with the same spacing. Anyone know about this fact or was that just a proposal?

yes, that's right, banana plugs (single or dual) are forbidden for audio use, as the overcautious european bureaucracy fears that someone (kids?) might plug them into a mains outlet. But: you may not sell them for audio use, but privately, in their own homes, everybody uses them.

Last edited: