BIII with Broskie Unbalancer vs. EE Minimax Plus - My experience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you chaps running the Unbalancer directly into a power amp?
I'm using K40Y-9 PIO caps @ 0.68uF to a 6V6 push pull amp, 100K input impedance - the sound is absolutely stunning - i/v resistors are MK132 (AD1865 DAC) as are all the key resistors on the Unbalancer, never had such a relaxed, yet lucid & detailed sound.

Broskie's circuits really are marvellous, switching the filament voltage is so simple & having the 0.1uF caps to ground the centre tap makes changing from the 12BH7 to a E288CC a 15 second job! He's about as close to an audio genius as we have in this world....

Hi
I use the Unbalancer also for a DAC with 4xPCM1704 with great result. For the first stage I use ECC83 (RFT made) and for the second stage ECC82 Tungsram.
For the I/V resistor I use 50ohmi 0.1% two 100ohm in parallel, at the output I have 2Vrms
The other parts are good quality components like 0.1u Vishay and 10u Solen capacitors
In the photo is the previous diagram, only simulation
In the final version only the input resistors have been changed from 10 to 50ohm.
Best regards

Attachments

• I-V vacuum tube.jpg
    I-V vacuum tube.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 996
Blitz: How did the weekend projects turn out?

And by the way has anyone recived a releasedate for the "Unballancer" ?
I have been waiting for three months and my sent questions about it
seem to have been lost in the spamfilter or ........I don't know.

He got a large shippment of pcb's in the end of November and it seems
a bit strange that it's taking so long. Just hoping that he's alright at least.

Last edited:
ok...I was a little less stupid than I thought...it was only a broken i2s cable, the dac is fine...

I did a short listening between the wirewound neoohm and the new antimagnetic 2watt Audionote tantalum resistor which is not burned in yet at all.

Well...this will become a serious candidate. Currently very fluid, very fast and in a martin logan electrostatic way transaprent...but as well it makes stuff sound unnatural big, like martin logan do. the dimensions are wrong currently. may because it is the 2 watt version which is really big monster resistor. maybe missing burn in. lets wait. but it is serious stuff, which plays a bit more natural and musical thatn the wirewound neoohms. those are more presice though...at the moment...not more transaperent, but deeper space and sharper edges.

ok, I will give the audio note resistors another week of burn in in 24h duty, but at the end I have the impression right now the do not have the same level of speed, clarity, intensiveness, vibration of the Neoohm wire wound. The are masking the signal with a good sound, warm, but it is a layer of its own and takes away realismn.

I ordered a set of mundorf supreme wirewounds and I am thiking about Duelunds as i/v as well...

I used the texas components as grid-stoppers, by now use the neoohm as well as cathode resisor for thefollower, use tantalum for the current source and kiwame forthe anode.

I will build my own duelund resistors from carbon leads and silver wire...120 pounds for four resistors is too much. I ordered allen bradleys which should give a fair impression in which direction carbon composite go. I would not use carbon film though.

Hope this helps. The duelund caps are a must. they need a good time of breaking in though....

I used mundorf tube caps for psu, not electrlytics in any psu, not even in the power amp. and mundorf gold silver wire.

Always not easy when you did not used it yourself in a circuit...I would avoid classical metal films. the shimkohs have a sound, but it might be different as grid stoppers than i/v...the arcol are not as quiet as the neoohm ww, Currently i would advise you to used the neoohm as an alternative to the zfoil. very high resultion, neutral and quiet...but not sure if the whole thing becomes too neutral in the end, that is why some shinkoh and kiwame and carbon comp could make some sense here and there...I am not yet at the stage to tell you in position xyz only carbon or zfoil works...except the i/v-position. there the neoohm ww are the thing currently. But have your fun with some experimenting and share your findings, looking forward...too many possibilties to play around here...

Thanks for the time and effort you are putting in :) It's much appreciated.
Metalfilm was never a choise anyway so.....
This will take some time since it seems that all of my current projects are
coming together at the same time.
That's a dsp crossover, a pair of SE 300b xls amps, two unballancers and
the final (?) touches to the speakers.

The unballancer pdb's are still not available as well so...

Did you revisit the tubeselection any after the Duelund update ?

I started this yesterday...but I want to build in a switch for 6v/12v for the first section, so that I can plug in as well 6cg7/6sn7...sofar no NOS has convinced me yet, but let's wait and see. It becomes clear that the system is so transparent that any change in resistors or tubes create immediately effects which need to be balanced against each other...this weekend nevertheless I was busy with finding the mistake in the DAC (one channel was down), and with improving the PSU of my poweramps to get any hum out of the system as otherwise you cant move on. Plus the new duelund-parts in the speaker cross-over need to burn in (as well as the new Jantzen WAX inductors)...

Now it is dead quiet, absolute silence and you have now new room for improvements as everything sounds now so clear and obvious.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.