BII+Legato vs BB PCM1704+D1 I/V NP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, we better leave it at that. I thought you had some evidence that this kit had any problems, but the "proofs" against it are a matter of opinion really. It would be a pointless discussion.

Your arguments about multiple regulators do not carry much water. I would really like to see what TI/BB did say about using multiple regulators, to see in what context it was stated. If "there is nothing much to be gained", then there might something to be gained, however small.

But your comment that about regulators being noisy, it's like stating the obvious. Though that noise does not add-up because you use separate ones, in fact it's the opposite, because you can filter them with capacitors that are smaller and will behave better. You avoid one regulator to be affected by excessive load.

On a DAC you should implement separate regulators for: digital receivers (1), other digital chips (1), DACs (4), analog stages (4). That's ten regulators, which apparently is the number of regulators on this board. That you can do it with less? Certainly. Would you risk it? I think you shouldn't.

How do you know I will not modify the regulators to improve on their capabilities, like filtering the adj legs on the 3X7 parts, or changing the regulators bypass capacitors?

I'm quite aware of regulators options around, so it's quite likely that I will try better types on specific positions. That is something we DIYers always do and it's where the fun is.

OK, you doubt this kit would beat the BII, and you're certainly entitled to that opinion.

My question about the split ground plane was as an example for what you called fancy work on the ground-plane design.

Look, stating an opinion on something is one thing and I warmingly accept it. That's what I do many times. But I believe you should begin some of your statements with "I think that...".

Last edited:
Yes, my comment about the dac in the link you posted is merely opinion and I will leave it at that.

FWIW, if you look very closely at the picture of the dac in the link, it shows PCM58 dac chips, CS8412 receiver and NPC5813 digital filter - the photo of the goods being offered is wrong I think. It is not a 1704 based dac capable of 24bit-96khz operation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.