Big enclosures: is it worth it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There have been debates/discussions about sealed versus vented versus TL versus OB. Imo, horn is the best, but only when done right, and when size doesn't matter.

It took me about a year and a half to get my viechs to sound right, but wow, it is now a rewarding experience! It´s deep, but never sounds boomy, it´s only there when you need it, dry, controlled...
I was really disappointed in the beggining, the sound was too dry and analitical, but I played a lot with room positioning, fiddled around with the cabinet (added a kind of compression chamber), cleared some room around the driver and now it goes deeper than my wharfedales 8.2, small monitors I know, but with good bass response.
Regardless of any debates/discussions, IMHO it´s all about one´s personal preferences...but I´m in love with horn bass!:p

When you say when size doesn't matter, you mean big?

Yes. big enclosure is the consequense of choosing horn or OB. Not everyone wants this.

It is very difficult to get rid of enclosure sound. With OB you can get rid of the enclosure sound, but I think something is missing there, or at least not practical. Horn is the most logical for me for accurate sound, when done right.

Watt is cheap??? Who cares with the distortion at 100W when it is already bad at its first watts...?

Transistors amplifies with distortion. Horns are expected to do it better. But at low SPL and low power the signal must first be clean.

Logical mind would consider that the air has to travel to a path far longer compared to front emission ( if BLH ) so this would mean only one thing : delay

Not to talk about...distortion and ...what ?:mad:

There is a place in the borderline of cabinet types. No, I'm not talking about long pipe. Delay is one reason why I'm against TL. In the border of TL and vented we have MLTL. That's a good one. For horns, imagine a short pipe with exponential opening such as the "waveguide".

I know that I have mixed two things here. Classical horn that is used for efficiency reason, and another one that has nothing to do with efficiency, but a means to use a box (to get the low frequency) but without the boxy (bass) sound. The first one is already a clear subject. The second one is not yet clear as far as I know. You may say for example, that if the pipe is short then it has nothing to do with low frequency, but that's wrong.

Ok ,much better :) ( I'm not standing as in a teacher position ,but just reporting experience..very low :eek: )
So the right question would be : how to 'treat' the back emission of a loudspeaker .
There are some given possibilities , and all can (too ) be explained as a variation of transmission lines , from a quarter wave reinforcement ; then there are the acoustical rules guiding the positioning of the enclosure (s) in a room , which may also give the possibility to exist even to some projects that may seem to infringe the basic laws of (electro) acoustics , I'm referring to dipoles . I guessed wrongly that the OP would just questioning about the actual
state of art about sound reproduction and what is available to the average consumer ...like a pair of good speakers and a sub ( mono ? stereo ? ) to fill the lower octave .

>>> how to 'treat' the back emission...

This made me think of farts.

I love music even if it's played thru a little clock radio. But I think it sounds most realistic thru BLH and/or OB even if the frequency response isn't as 'flat' as sealed and ported designs. I think it's the way the speaker couples to the air in the room... how it excites the air. A lot of it has to do with how the music 'feels' during listening. My dad's a musician and lately we've been listening together (I'm divorcing wife and moved my 'big rig' to my parents house). Often he will say he can feel the bass, or he can feel the fingers on the strings, or he can feel the the notes being struck on the xylophone, or he can feel the vibrato in her voice... I also believe BLH and/or OB provide a larger sense of scale to the music. So when you hear the orchestra play it's recreated closer to the actual size of the performance. With sealed boxes often things sound small. Moving to BLH and OB the image is larger (to the point where it could even be considered too large to be realistic). But the other option is too small a sonic image. Once you get used to the larger imaging it's difficult going back (but not impossible).

Thinking back to when i would listen to and admire B&W and Dynaudio speakers, i realize now they sound boxy and mechanical compared to the things i've built. Many commercial speakers sound excellent but given the choice (and within what i consider a reasonable budget) i'd choose DIY every time... and BLH and/or OB since they provide more goosebumps, toe tapping and simply move me most.

I´ve recently been introducing a friend of mine into hifi, diy, and a couple of days ago, we went to audition the lovely Rega Brio R connected to some small but wonderful Rega RS3 and in his opinion... He just said that my humble Nad C316 with the big diy BLH made the Rega setup sound like something very... unspectacular! In his opinion, he still hasn´t heard anything better than my BLH, he´s totally sold!:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.