Big Boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What about this for a party box?

Get those Fostex full range speakers in the 4 to 5 inch size since they are very efficient--no tweeters (unless you want a super tweeter) and they are much louder than typical mids. Run them off a "T-amp" into their 93dB of sensitivity--20 watts will give you 106dB and the larger T-amps should give you peaks of 110 dB at 50 watts. They are rated "45 watts of music power" so if crossed at 100Hz to a sub, they should not have any power issues.

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_241_309&products_id=8821

Tuned to 61Hz, the ported box size is 10.5 liters--is that about the size you want?

If you want 4 ohms, stuff two per side in MTM alignment and cross a screaming tweeter in there since efficiency goes up to 96dB. The Pioneer horn runs $13, has 100dB of sensitivity, 8 ohms so should match the dual Fostex output and you could shave it down to get it 3" wide. Throw a 24dB/Oct filter on the horn and cross at 2.5 KHz?

Pioneer AHE60-51F 3-1/2" Horn Tweeter

Always wondered if you used four of them per side and stuffed a really loud tweeter in the center--sort of like the 4 speaker boxes they used with guitars--would it give lobing problems if the center to center distance was correct? 100dB of sensitivity from four Fostex 4" full ranges and a pro sound tweet would be a seriously loud boom box from a T-amp.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What about this for a party box?

Get those Fostex full range speakers in the 4 to 5 inch size... FE126En...
Tuned to 61Hz, the ported box size is 10.5 liters--is that about the size you want?

The last half dozen FE126En measured over 94 dB.

And i don't know why people insist of trying to stuff these into vented boxes that just do not work. For a satelitte the 10.5 litre box is not as effective as sealed. You can get about 110 Hz out of these in a vented box (better than i expected)

dave

Attachments

• FE126En-vented.gif
    FE126En-vented.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 235
Sorry about that Dave,

The technical paper that is posted with the Fostex states a 10.5 liter ported box. The 4 liter sealed version would work very well considering it will be used with a subwoofer in the table radio design.

Now to get a subwoofer to get close to the efficiency of the Fostex 4" FR would be interesting to get it to fit. Shame those 4 channel T-amp Shure boards don't come with a crossover/high pass filter option. :(

4L vented box is quite small,

Say 8L for a MTM with horn tweet at 4 ohms for 97dB sensitivity and a T-amp would hit 110dB at 20 watts :eek: The trick is to get the bass to match but it can be the table to hold up the radio. That Topping 15 watt T-amp with USB DAC sure would make a nice computer speaker setup.

The weekend is coming and Cal has a pile of parts and a bag of ideas--this should be interesting.

Can't believe how hard this is to get everything to fit the way I want. I may have to rethink the drivers, amps and box shape. Right now there's lot's of sketches in the wastebasket. Will report back when I have something to work with.

It's not as easy an endeavour to build a boombox that fulfills all the desired parameters as it might seem. It took me years to design the Boominator with early projects and tests that were much like your own.

Finding the right compromise between sensitivity to keep power consumption down so that you can get acceptable battery times for your amp, compact size, aesthetically pleasing and relatively easy to build design, acceptable sound quality across the board including bass performance, that is really hard.

Getting closer.

I can fit 2 Adire Extremis 6.8 woofers running off an Energy 125 watt plate amp.
2 Wharfedale 5.25" mid basses and 2 LG 3" extended range drivers off a Tascam 30 wpc PA amp.

I can fit it into a divided box (6 chambers) measuring approx:
32" (81 cm) wide
13" (33 cm) deep
12" (30 cm) high

from 3/4" material. Holy crap that's a big boom box!

Mind you it will pack a decent punch, that's for sure.

Getting closer.

I can fit 2 Adire Extremis 6.8 woofers running off an Energy 125 watt plate amp.
2 Wharfedale 5.25" mid basses and 2 LG 3" extended range drivers off a Tascam 30 wpc PA amp.

I can fit it into a divided box (6 chambers) measuring approx:
32" (81 cm) wide
13" (33 cm) deep
12" (30 cm) high

from 3/4" material. Holy crap that's a big boom box!

Mind you it will pack a decent punch, that's for sure.

That's almost the size of the Boominator which is 12x12x36"/300x300x900mm!!! And I can guarentee that packs a much bigger punch even on a tiny t-amp.

How's 3 something in the afternoon? :)

1) Pieces cut
2) Assembly except the top and sides so I can do some hole cutting and prewiring. The top shelf is for the Tascam amp that will run the mids and tweets, it will face forward and be the master volume.
3) From the rear/side with the chambers for the mids and tweets. On the rear is where the plate amp will go, back to back with the woofer but divided.

Attachments

• IMG_7314.jpg
    IMG_7314.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_7315.jpg
    IMG_7315.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_7316.jpg
    IMG_7316.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 164
Well...sometimes life throws you curve balls. Speaking of which, while I was putting the sides on I noticed something was a litte cockeyed. Since I hadn't had any beer and the sides measured good, I decided to run my eye down the length of the box. It seems my Belle of the Ball has become a twisted sister. :bawling:

Oh well, out comes the belt sander with the large grit and off to work I go. So now I am covered in dust thicker than a desert sand storm and noticing how much lighter the box is. Can't get rid of the twist but I did manage to get the pieces to look a little better.

I am in the process of reprogramming my iPod for songs like Rock Around the Clock, Rock a Bye Baby and Rocking Chair Blues.

Hmmph! (word used in place of what I said earlier)

Ah well, take what life gives you and deal with it I guess. Oh and this is after the other "changes" I had to make because I'm not smart enough to do it right in the first place. Good thing this is an addiction or I'd be tempted to give up on it. Alas, you don't walk out on a friend when they are in need do you?

Thanks pico, I needed that.

Well another day has dawned and while I was waiting for sleep to take over last night I thought now that I have an industrial looking box why not take the next step. Off to Home depot I went and bought some hinges, latches and a can of red paint.

I am making a tool box. :D Paint is drying. If there's time later I'll pop the drivers back in.

I have a JVC Kaboom Box with 3" FRs and dual powered 6.5 inch woofers

My wife likes the thing and suggests putting in my man cave (garage) Then Cal rolls out his project and... maybe time to modify the Kaboom with some Fostex FRs?

For the record, my wife hates you Cal!

Must
Quit
Reading
DIY
Audio...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.