BIB or Bruce 1.1 for AN8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a exotic wood from Africa which natives used to make knifes and arrow heads of. Also face masks were/are made of the wood.
I don't know the English name.... Anyway, it's much harder than oak and ash. M parents have a face mask and a knife made from this wood. it's nearly impossible to make a dent in it.

Cheers!

peterbrorsson said:
It's a exotic wood from Africa which natives used to make knifes and arrow heads of. Also face masks were/are made of the wood.
I don't know the English name.... Anyway, it's much harder than oak and ash. M parents have a face mask and a knife made from this wood. it's nearly impossible to make a dent in it.

Cheers!

Wow

Sounds like it may be in the "iron wood" family. Any wood you can make a knife of is extremely dense! Some iron wood types were once used to make machine gears. Yikes!

Really, all kidding aside, hickory would work well and be cheap besides.

Rick

Original BIB thread has been neglected of late.

Since I have my one BIB tamed as far as honkiness goes, I may
get up the nerve to put it in a corner for the full treatment.

While I'm getting used to the BIB I've got a line array project on the
bench.

I don't know where to put this question:

If I wanted to get a dime store cd/radio player and hook that up
to some high efficiency FE127e's what would should I get?

My goal in speaker building has always been to do the most with the
least.

I want to be able to demonstrate good sound from cheap electronics
and good careful speaker building.

loninappleton said:
Original BIB thread has been neglected of late.

Since I have my one BIB tamed as far as honkiness goes, I may
get up the nerve to put it in a corner for the full treatment.

While I'm getting used to the BIB I've got a line array project on the
bench.

I don't know where to put this question:

If I wanted to get a dime store cd/radio player and hook that up
to some high efficiency FE127e's what would should I get?

My goal in speaker building has always been to do the most with the
least.

I want to be able to demonstrate good sound from cheap electronics
and good careful speaker building.

I have my "el cheap" MCM speaker ($11/each) in a large BIB and hooked up to Kenwood receiver ($25, ebay, local pickup), and enjoy it every night. The other FE107 BIB is driven by DVD/CD/amp combo JVC EX-A1 executive microsystem (bought for $150, 1 year ago), sounds supreme...

gychang

I know there are deals around for used, but the brand stuff like GTC
Lloydds or Emerson which look like something from The Jetsons and available for $40 is what I had in mind: cd player on top, chintzy radio and 2 little speaks. Then plug in the big guys to hear the sound of tunes.

The deal is I know people who are music lovers but are shy to spend
any dough on a decent system.

Scottmoose said:
For reference, I'd use the dimensions I suggest on www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp for the FE206E. If you want to make it shorter, as this is a tall cabinet, then reduce to the aforementioned 70in, and install the driver at 28.5in down from the sealed end. Should do the job nicely & a bit more compact.

Hi Scott,

Will the reduced length of 70" and the 28.5" work for FE206/7 if I later wanted replace the AN8 with the FE206/7?

Loninappleton,

Playstations are good, but be sure to get the right model number! sph-1002 (or something). And I don't know if they are regarded as really cheap anymore. Everyone seems to have discovered their secret on E%&* I would say, check out all the walkman's etc. There are some that give really comparatively good sound and have the advantage of being battery powered. (comparatively clean powersource) but be sure to test them out! Some are truly beastly! I had a sony, that was comparable to the playstation! Until my friend relieved me of it.....

It's great fun to find the "geheimtipp" yourself! (secret tip) I love it!

I'd be interested in knowing how you stuffed your BIB's by the way.

Cheers Stroop

Bigger Is Better -a rather wry name coined by our much-missed friend Terry Cain. It's a 1/2 wavelength tuned TQWT designed for corner loading (though corners are not essential -a wall or two will suffice).

Terry's original cabinet, based on a design in the Fostex Craft Handbooks is here: http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ8.html There is now a set of pages kindly hosted by Jeff (Godzilla) dedicated to this cabinet, with suggested cabinet dimensions created & refined in Martin King's MathCad worksheets by GM & myself, plus a few diagrams etc. to aid in the construction. www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

The BIB is about as simple as it gets to be honest; the idea was patented by P.G.A.H Voigt back in 1934, but for all that, it can be astonishingly effective. Not as refined as some (it has a bit more ripple, although most is flattened out by the increase in terminus area provided by corner-loading), but it hits back in other ways, particularly in astounding bass extension, and the way it lets the driver articulate.

>>> The BIB is about as simple as it gets…

Only cabinets simpler are sealed or ported boxes. I think the BIB gives all of the sonic benefits of a complicated back horn (speed, ease of presentation, dynamics, etc) without the complex build.

I rearranged my BIBs and got one into a corner. Overall, bass is fuller. My system is now balanced, full and rich sounding with all the other BIB benefits. You can’t get this kind of sound from sealed or ported boxes! Footprint is about the same as small cabinets on stands. Beautiful design!

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-godzillabib.asp

Godzilla said:
>>> The BIB is about as simple as it gets…

I rearranged my BIBs and got one into a corner. Overall, bass is fuller. My system is now balanced, full and rich sounding with all the other BIB benefits.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-godzillabib.asp

I see u have a RS supertweeter, thinking about the same mod, alas RS doesn't have the same speaker, anything similar from RS or partsexpress?

gychang

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Godzilla said:
I think the BIB gives all of the sonic benefits of a complicated back horn (speed, ease of presentation, dynamics, etc) without the complex build.

Not all. I've only heard DaveCan's FE108eS BIB, but one could definitely hear the ripple as opposed to the Level 0 Frugel-Horn we compared it too... giving the F-H an advantage on anything with dominant mid-range content. The BIB produced bass & rock&roll kick that was beyond the F-H.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gychang said:
I see u have a RS supertweeter, thinking about the same mod, alas RS doesn't have the same speaker, anything similar from RS or partsexpress?

The RS pod tweeter is a pre-cursor to the Fostex FT17H

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=151577.23711&pid=342

FT17H.jpg

dave

planet10 said:
..... giving the F-H an advantage on anything with dominant mid-range content. The BIB produced bass & rock&roll kick that was beyond the F-H.......
was the horn truncated so severely that it was no longer a properly terminated horn?

Sticking to BIB (now that I know what it means), then it is only fair to compare the horn if it is big enough to stand a chance (not truncated), when compared to the BIB opposition.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.