Bias Drifting Higher?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One issue with Darlingtons is the thermal stability. Their gain is almostlinearly increasing with current too - 1 mA might do 100mA or 1A...
ONe possibility is to make sure the bias compensation transistor is on the same metal as the output transistor- not just on the same heatsink but attached (via an insulator) directly on the TO3 can. Don't think Darlington transistors are the best anyway..
John

Maybe I'm missing something. Looks to me like the opamp is directly driving the outputs. I don't see how the opamp with +/-15V to 18V rails can swing the power transistors up to the power rails voltages.

Checked it with SPICE. Output can't swing more than opamp rails.

Input Sine at 0.5V and opamp output (V1-RED trace) already clip at +/- 15V. Output of amp is even less (Vout).

Attachments

• MBL8006.gif
    MBL8006.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 0V5.gif
    0V5.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 199
Circuit is all wrong. Looks like they were attempting a Qsc-usa400 (below 1) but did not get it right. :eek:

Even the QSC is a cheap , economic design method. (Below 2) is the LYNX , it has a real MJE340/350 voltage stage buffering the OP- amp's output ... in my opinion , the better way to do it. OP-amp IPS/VAS "contraptions" are quite prone to instability , very "picky" about IC choice - decoupling (read the lynx amp thread). Discrete is rock solid. :)

OS

Attachments

• QSC_usa400.jpg
    QSC_usa400.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 197
  • realOPamp VAS.gif
    realOPamp VAS.gif
    52.9 KB · Views: 202
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Checked it with SPICE. Output can't swing more than opamp rails.

Input Sine at 0.5V and opamp output (V1-RED trace) already clip at +/- 15V. Output of amp is even less (Vout).

Your circuit you have simulated is totally different in the way the outputs are driven...

Look at OS's post above and at the LYNX amplifier. That too doesn't drive the outputs as simple followers hung on the end of an opamp. Its a totally different concept.

Your circuit you have simulated is totally different in the way the outputs are driven...

Look at OS's post above and at the LYNX amplifier. That too doesn't drive the outputs as simple followers hung on the end of an opamp. Its a totally different concept.

How is it different. Look at post #1 schematic carefully. The opamp output is connected to the center of two Vbe multipliers which in turn are connected to T5 and T3. This is replicated in my schematic except for simplicity, the two Vbe are replaced by resistors as are some other components. Don't get distracted by those differences.

The important point to note is with nothing driving the bases of T5 and T3, the signal cannot be amplified beyond the opamp rails. Whereas the QSC and Lynx, the opamp is driving the bases of the VAS transistors. That's why their output can swing to the PSU rails.

Hi Mooly

Did a few more Spice. This time I added in the voltage regulators T1 and T6. Opamp supply is now at +/- 31.7V instead of +/- 15V. As in the schematic, T1 and T6 bases are tied to the amp's output.

With an input of 1.3V, the opamp output is already into heavy clipping at about +/-38V. Output of amp hard clips at about +/-22V.

What we have is an amplifier running on +/- 48V rails with an output swing of only +/-22V. I don't understand the rationale behind this design but this is what Spice comes out with.

Attachments

• MBL8v2a.gif
    MBL8v2a.gif
    33.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Vin_1V3.gif
    Vin_1V3.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 158
just for the fun of it ... the above schmatic is a working schematic from a comercial product .... i cloned it in the past and actually works quite welll given the simplicity of the circuit ....

in the original design where drive and output boards was apart cables here and there there was no bias servo and i think that many units failed fron instability ( my opinion messy wiring and no bias servo )

Later models had a thermistor to secure bias stabilty and after that dont know what hapened

even though i had boards made i skiped the design for safety reasons

Hi sakis

The Chameleon circuit has the same problem. The output cannot swing higher than the opamp rails. I will need the original schematic to sim further.

Below is a fully symmetrical circuit which uses an opamp front end. Instead of two differentials, the opamp drives the bases of two transistors which in turn drive the VAS. This circuit can swing all the way to the supply rails as in conventional designs.

Attachments

• mod1.gif
    mod1.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 1Vin.gif
    1Vin.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 129
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.