Bias Check As Preventive Maintenance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anatech said:
Hi AcidJazz,
The bias checking / setting procedure for Adcom involves running th e amp until the heatsinks are hot and then letting it cool. Then you check.

I'll bet your bias is high now. As a warranty service tech I did set the bias current on the low side of normal, but within range. Even with a lower bias, your distortion and sound quality shouldn't change on these unless the output transistors are not matched properly.

-Chris

Mhnnn...I have never been able to run my 535 'til it gets hot, warm yes but never hot..have seen the clipping indicator lights come on a couple times many years ago. I ran the amp for a couple hours before checking the bias and it read about 2.4mV, the heatsinks were barely warm.
I may have to use a dummy load to get the heatsinks hot. I will open it up and check again.
My amp has never needed service in 20 years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.