• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

bias arrangements for P-P amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why not bypass the led with a small film caps. I use 0.1Uf per led and get a "less granular" sound. but I never try a lot of value, just use some remaining filmfoil caps.

anyway, it`s better than RC combo. (with cerafine caps)

I didn`t like battery bias...

You should try it.

Martin

SY said:
Looking at the slope past 8 mA, it sure looks like the 5 ohm estimate is a good one. So, if the 60Hz modulates it by 10% (which I think is a gross overestimate), that means that the array I proposed for the EL84s will bounce up and down by 0.6ohm times .08A which is about 50 mV. That could well be audible.

Bear, do you have any info on how much the LEDs' resistance actually gets modulated at typical ambient intensities? If not, it should be relatively easy to measure. And I think that the array's light output might tend to swamp the ambient energy, but....

No hard data... sorry.

But apparently it was audible in the phono or line stage for Spectral - which is how it was discovered, I seem to recall.

There are some very nice precision current and voltage sources out now that are *scary* low noise - why not use them??

I use them on the bias for WE417a as the front end of a phono stage, and they make bypassed zeners seem like "active white noise generators"... monster difference.

You could set them up as a mirror if you needed to pass more voltage/current than the device likes to handle directly, I would
expect?

:D

_-_-bear

resident said:

<snip>
At the second circuit some guys put 10R resistor and some other 33R or other values. Is this value critical or not?<snip

Since when did the symbol Omega or the term Ohm get replaced with the letter R to designate resistance value of a device?

I've never seen a resistor measure 10 R's or even a meter calibrated in R's.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: bias arrangements for P-P amps.

rcavictim said:
Since when did the symbol Omega or the term Ohm get replaced with the letter R to designate resistance value of a device?

I've seen it used quite often and have taken up the habit on my schemas. Perhaps its rise has come because it can be reliably typed in on a keyboard. Getting an " W" sign to show up in an email or on-line post relies on having symbol font installed, knowing that symbol has an omega character, and hoping it shows up on someone else's computer (ie many Windows guys type in the fractions that come as high-bit characters on the PC -- these show up as gobbledegook on any other box, so you are left guessing what the poster means)

dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
LA PIECE DE RESISTANCE.....

Hi,

Society is going down the toilet partly because it is becoming more and more acceptable to be sloppy and lazy.

No one is stopping you from "righting" Ohm, resistance or resistor(s) whenever appropriate....

Naturally you can now be expected to prefer your Single Ended Triode vacuum tube tone to be seved with slam...

I like my S.E.T. vacuum tube tone served with slam!

Society won't go down the drain by using acronyms but your point is of course well taken.

7D out here.....:hot:

Cheers,;)

Frank,

I don't get your point about S.E.T. S.E.T. is an acronym that is accepted terminology in the audio world. R is not an acronym at all anywhere nor is it an engineering symbol for resistance. It has been used to represent a decimal point in the middle of numerically printed resistance values, but not to replace the omega symbol.

Just in case your S.E.T. comment was a jab because there is a school of thought that "S.E.T." and "slam" cannot be used in the same sentence, most of the time this is of course true, but I am running big 125 watt Pd 805's in such mode on near 100 db efficient array speakers containing 24 drivers per cabinet so slam is what I get in spades. Compared to almost everything else I have listened to, ....I prefer it.

Not being as lazy as some, even I while trying to make a point by example in the temperature comment managed to screw it up, because using improper technical terms is unnatural in my engineering world. What I should have said was it is cold here today at -20T. Since there are three standard temprature scales this information is of course useless information as posted.

I'm gonna go burn this soap box now for it's BTU value.

Happy, stress free holidays. ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

R is not an acronym at all anywhere nor is it an engineering symbol for resistance.

I agree but it is printed on all kinds of resistors by the manufacturers to distinguish between full ohmic ranges and higher precision units : 33 Ohm as opposed to 33R3 as an example.

Even in the case of 33 Ohm, as a single value for instance, you'll find manufacturers printing just 33R on the body of the resistor.
Another reason for them to do it this way besides the fact that it's just shorter is that it avoid confusion between 0 and O when used inbetween numerical characters.

Point is, I think, we all understood what was meant by the R symbol in this particular context....

Either way, I don't think it's worth making an issue out of it...

Just in case your S.E.T. comment was a jab because there is a school of thought that "S.E.T." and "slam" cannot be used in the same sentence,

It wasn't. ;)

Happy, stress free holidays.

And you.

Cheers,;)

Bear, I looked at voltage fluctuations across some cheap red LEDs driven by a rough current source at 8 mA and 20 mA (a 15K power resistor attached to a regulated variable bench supply) with a fluorescent bulb just a few inches away. My scope isn't too reliable below 1 mV, but I couldn't see any 60 or 120 Hz action at that level. That's about 60dB down from the input signal. Add the common mode rejection at the PP output stage cathodes, and I think it's safe to forget about.

No doubt in non-differential stages handling microvolts (e.g., MC inputs), this could still be a factor, but not in a tens-of-volts situation.

pedroskova said:
We have far greater things to be worrying about than using "r" as a shorthand for "ohm".

I would start with George Dubya.
Good greif, I don't get how anal some people R.

I've been an EE for a long time, and none of those I know have any difficulty discerning that R (in context) means ohms. Dave explained it longhand above so I won't bother reiterating.

As for W, well, I'll leave political discussions for elsewhere.
SY said:
Bear, I looked at voltage fluctuations across some cheap red LEDs driven by a rough current source at 8 mA and 20 mA (a 15K power resistor attached to a regulated variable bench supply) with a fluorescent bulb just a few inches away. My scope isn't too reliable below 1 mV, but I couldn't see any 60 or 120 Hz action at that level. That's about 60dB down from the input signal. Add the common mode rejection at the PP output stage cathodes, and I think it's safe to forget about.

No doubt in non-differential stages handling microvolts (e.g., MC inputs), this could still be a factor, but not in a tens-of-volts situation.
Especially inside a solid (not clear plastic) box.

@SY

Glad you brought up the idea of using a LED (acronym!) string for bias on a pair of PP EL84/6BQ5's. I've been thinking of that for years... As for as the self generated noise of the LED's, I'd assume if the string was common to the pair, it would cancel out if the pair were well matched. PP EL84 for my brother's PC, that's the idea! So keep us informed! Gotta get the younger generation hooked on tubes, hehe! :D
-0.3 deg F here this morning! :cannotbe:

Wayne

Dear North Americans,

The use of the "R" to spec a resistor is European.

(where the heck do I find an "omega" on a mucrosoft Qwerty keyboard anyhow?? What's the secret key combination?? Grrr)

Don't be quite so isolated and parochial. Read some Euro electronics/audio mags - they're fun! Even in Italian, French and German! I can't read two of those worth a damn, and for one of them I have a 1st grade vocabulary... yippee!! :D

Sy,

Go for it.

You won't have any overload problems in a mirror, where the current setting device is isolated... but the LEDs ought to be ok I guess.

Myself, if possible I like to look at the noise floor and get it as low as possible in general... in tube amps that may not be so much of an issue as it might in soylent state. ymmv, as always!
;)

_-_-bear

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Bear,

Just for info:

The asci key combination is ALT + 234 to get an Omega symbol.
I'll type it but I'm sure the forum software will make gibberish out of it:

Ù

One that does show properly is the mu symbol as used for microfarad for instance, the sequence ro type is ALT + 230

µ

Myself, if possible I like to look at the noise floor and get it as low as possible in general... in tube amps that may not be so much of an issue as it might in soylent state. ymmv, as always!

It's the same thing really. You'd want as low a noise floor as possible with tubes as well.

Cheers, ;)

What is the consensus here on other, more “modern” methods for biasing?

I am talking about using arrangement such as network with variable resistors or VR Chips for a continuously maintained bias. At least on paper they appear nice, but how do they stack-up sonically compared to the more traditional methods.

I know about one high-end audio company in India, which employs Chip controlled automatic bias for their EL34 PP amp ostensibly to allow uses of unmatched tubes.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bear said:
(where the heck do I find an "omega" on a mucrosoft Qwerty keyboard anyhow?? What's the secret key combination?? Grrr)

The proper way to do it is to type in W in symbol font (symbol font is installed here & on any standard Mac, or Windoz install.

W

fdegrove said:
The asci key combination is ALT + 234 to get an Omega symbol.
I'll type it but I'm sure the forum software will make gibberish out of it:

Ù

One that does show properly is the mu symbol as used for microfarad for instance, the sequence ro type is ALT + 230

µ

Use of any character with an ASCII value larger than 127 means you have a very good chance of it not showing up since those are the values that are defined differently on each platform... Franks omega shows up as a U with an umlat above it, the mu shows up. ''µ" option-m on my keyboard... it is just an m in symbol

m

dave

I haven't yet experimented with LEDs to replace cathode bias ohmic references but I have read a bit on the subject. On the issue of noise it appears that not all LEDs are born equal in this regard. IIRC the blue ones are reportedly much lower noise, and some of the worst are the very earliest red ones from back in the 70's.

Very cold. -27T when I packed it in late last night.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.