Bi-wiring: quote from "Loudspeakers For Music Recording And Reproduction"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
No they are NOT

I agree with you in the case of the ideal voltage source, like you alluded to. The amps I build often have a higher output impedance than the cable, so in those cases, I am with SY.

2.) it can't be tested with my current setup because I am running active.

It should be possible. You could probe the difference between the cable ends to see what gets picked up along the way. You may even exaggerate the effect using a series resistor. In particular you might expect to see linear distortion in the form of a voltage drop that resembles the inverse of the speakers impedance plot.

Excuse me for interrupting.

I don't understand why people get so emotional about bi-wiring. This is not the first thread about the subject which has dragged on and included some posts with a condescending tone. Fans of vacuum tubes and and solid-state people have learned not to argue, as have the analog vs. digital source people (mostly). Why haven't fans of bi-wiring vs. people who think it is nonsense learned the same?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I agree, SY, and anyway the breakup is behind a large inductor with a DCR higher than the cable impedance. I think for me, SETs are significant because they showed me the downside to high source impedance. My subjective conclusion is that the only significant perceptible distortions produced are linear distortions.

Excuse me for interrupting.

I don't understand why people get so emotional about bi-wiring. This is not the first thread about the subject which has dragged on and included some posts with a condescending tone. Fans of vacuum tubes and and solid-state people have learned not to argue, as have the analog vs. digital source people (mostly). Why haven't fans of bi-wiring vs. people who think it is nonsense learned the same?

There is NOTHING new to learn. If you want to believe in a difference you are going to believe in search for a difference. I think its a stupid waste of time when considering everything else that actually effects the soundwave.

In then end this thread (like all other highly subjective topics) will go into the dumpster. Ask them to put up $$$ in any bet to prove the audible differences in a controlled listening test.

Just read all the spin to avoid such a test ;)

Content is subjective. Audio setups is 100% science, no need to have "believes" or subjectivity ;)

Perhaps not for you. But for someone who has never run the numbers and looked at the basic physics, there may be. It helps to quantify things and place them in the proper perspective rather than just make assertions (which may or may not be true, but don't enlighten).

Very true!!

I guess Im a big "search" and "google" guy. There is an incredible number of threads any audio site on this topic alone. So when I posted "Nothing new" I meant 1000+ threads on the topic has covered everything ;)

I do have an open $1000 offering if someone can prove there are tangible audible improvements in using bi-wiring. Obviously all conditions require discussion :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.