bi amping with X-over after the amp is better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The laws of physics have not changed. Old does not mean bad.
I was just making an observation about the way they still construct the things - in fact I actually quite like the idea of a throwback to a bygone era still lurking within yards of the 56" LCD and the iPad.

Edit: not that I possess either of those things, I hasten to add!

Last edited:
liching,

The same transfer function as a stock Martin Logan Sequel can easily be created with an active crossover.

You could also perform impedance correction (if necessary) as well.

This type of "conversion" project has been done multiple times (on various commercial designs) by members of this forum. Do some searching and reading on this forum.

Your initial premise is simply incorrect.

Cheers,

Dave.
I dont say it cant, i said that a filter after the amp. Thus passive, is better.

Read carefully and conclude that not me but Coppertop wrote that Passive filters are out of date.

This is indeed what I had concluded. I am a proponent of active filters, for the reasons I stated in my first post, while it seems you dismiss them in high end home hifi. You also dismiss the opinions that do not agree with yours to the point where you criticized the responses as not being serious. This is why you are receiving less than open arms for your postings.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
liching,

Well, in Post #3 you indicated regarding passive...."The advantage is that you have the original filter and equalisation as implemented by the designer."

That "advantage" does not have to be abandoned with a line-level crossover approach. You can still have exactly the same filtering/EQ as designed originally.

Anyways, there are some excellent articles online regarding the inherent advantages of the line-level crossover approach. Here's one:

BiAmp (Bi-Amplification - Not Quite Magic, But Close) - Part 1

That might help to alleviate some of the misunderstandings you have regarding IM distortion, power concerns, etc, etc.

Cheers,

Dave.

This is indeed what I had concluded. I am a proponent of active filters, for the reasons I stated in my first post, while it seems you dismiss them in high end home hifi. You also dismiss the opinions that do not agree with yours to the point where you criticized the responses as not being serious. This is why you are receiving less than open arms for your postings.
Let me be clear, I am not looking for recoqnition but only curious about your reactions. Till now there are no serious arguments against my method.

What about Damping. The speaker is designed with that filter so the Damping stays the same. By altering Damping the bass response change. Other disadvantage of active filtering

Well that only applies to an existing speaker.

From the brochure:
...a speaker whose genius designer has effectively painted a living system in oils, blending the 'parasitics' here, bringing out an almost imperceptible trace of saturation over there, to slightly offset the 'warmth' he has conjured out of the lack of damping. As the crossover heats up it mirrors the excitement of the music, subtly changing its characteristics to enhance the mood. It demands total commitment from the amplifier, though; nothing less than 180% will do...

But for new designs, presumably a higher damping factor is a good thing?

Damping factor is not always to be high- It is a part of the design. A Planar speaker like a Quad doesnot needs a damping factor. An open baffle, a Bassreflex and a transmission line also dont need Damping. It also depents of the used driver. There are drivers that has an inbuild damping coil and doesnt needs extra damping.

What about Damping. The speaker is designed with that filter so the Damping stays the same. By altering Damping the bass response change. Other disadvantage of active filtering

Total dampening factor is a combination of the amplifier and the loudspeaker. The amplifier don't need very high dampening factor because a loudspeaker will bring it down anyway. Very high DF is done with huge amount of feedback in the amplifier, and is not necessarily a good thing. The bass response do change if you take out some resitance by removing a high resitance coil in series with a woofer, but I hope not that a speakermnufacurer with high reputation use such a coil.

Having less resistance can never be a disadvantage. If you alter bass response, you can get it back in another way. Why introduce a bad thing and call an make up a history to make it good.

Back to topic. You take out IMD of the equation, and isolate it to be the one factor that makes the filter after the amplifier the best solution over them all. Why do you find distortion to be such an important issue, when its so low anyway. It would be nice to make a amplifier with variable IMD to see how much it should change to be audible.

Let me be clear, I am not looking for recoqnition but only curious about your reactions. Till now there are no serious arguments against my method.

Your measure of "serious" seems to be "agrees with me".

Inductor core saturation, parasitics, parts cost and quality are all critical factors, and power loss matters. Just because it doesn't fit your conclusion doesn't mean it's less than serious. Most of us here don't like to introduce known problems when we're chasing the last little bit of performance in much of the gear we build.

The problem of amplifier IMD is not really addressed by the passive power level crossover, because the passive filter still passes everything that is in-band regarding what the load driver can play properly anyway. The active signal level filter, however, does band limit the signal to the amplifier, so that amplfier IMD can be reduced.

The problem of proper damping can't necessarily be guaranteed just because there is a passive power level crossover, unless very high damping voltage source amplifier is guaranteed and the crossover is designed for that. Beyond that, modifications might be necessary "in the field".

Also, I might suggest that tweeter band passive power level crossover can end up superior to active signal level when very good power amps are used, because it requires lower value parts (affordable in very high quality) and doesn't need extra signal amplfiers. But, the differences may never be more than "arguable" now that such good signal amps are available.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.