Beyond the Ariel

Curious about the horn (if any) in front of the 12" Tannoy and what handles the range above the top of the internal HF horn of the Tannoy.

The core of it is here- I was experimenting with it - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...sful-tales-loading-large-coax-front-horn.html

the horn has been smoothed and stiffened and a new enclosure with sand and expandable foam has been built. The backwave is damped with wool and foam a bit. The HF driver in the Tannoy has no problem reaching 15K + I do feel it could use a super tweeter at times (don't all systems sound that way at times? lol) but where would I put it? The crossover is a combo 2nd order passive line level with some passive eq on the compression treble - it really was a lot of work to get the coax sound where it is now

One of the other things I do is photography. (First camera: Pentax Spotmatic, 1964; Nikon FE2, 1984; Pentax K10D, K7, 2010, and what I have now, Olympus OM-D EM-5 and EM-1.) Manufacturers of SLR's, DSLR's, and mirrorless system cameras lock the buyer into their system, and a collection of lenses isn't cheap, so it's not easy to switch from one to another. The cameras also have a different "feel" ... basically, the user interface ... which attracts some people and repels others. Manufacturers exploit this to build brand loyalty (and have done so since the beginning of the Leica and Speed Graphic systems in the Thirties). The advent of expensive digital cameras that quickly become obsolete (unlike film cameras, which were good for decades), combined with the Internet, has led to a new form of "fanboyism" in the photographic community.

Which leads to a guest post in the Ming Thein forum, written by a psychologist based on London. The intersection of creativity, technical expertise, and Internet anonymity results in these strange situations that are different than real-world encounters. Here's the most interesting part:

I believe there is actually very little jealousy involved: the value of purchases we are talking about here represents significant disposable income but would not have made a material difference to the purchasing individual vis-à-vis one system or another. Whilst the artist has a strong personal/psychological ‘investment’ in their work, the troll has a need to defend their tenuous identity and a strong financial investment in their equipment – there is no meaningful investment in art or self-improvement or education, because it requires more effort and delivers far slower returns than the instant gratification of a purchase. It is also nearly impossible to receive comparable instant peer validation through merit of output compared to that available online by appearing to be part of a club.

The manufacturers are also equally culpable. What is extremely concerning is the illusion of independence combined with extreme enthusiasm: this stimulates herd mentality in the no-so-confident, itself probably the desired outcome so long as it results in an immediate purchase. Indirectly, they are limiting their own long term business prospects by limiting or discouraging honest feedback towards making a better product and only encouraging unobjective ‘reviews’ which are advertising everything but name. We as the consumer lose out because we will not get a product we want, and they lose out because there becomes less and less motivation for an additional sale especially if previous concerns were not addressed. The nature of the internet itself has further entrenched the ‘entitlement mentality’ that has been increasingly prevalent since the beginnings of discretionary consumerism: we want it now, better, and cheaper than before. And everything online should be free – content included. The disconnect is of course that I think many who expect and feel entitled to free articles, reviews etc. online would have no problem telling somebody to take a hike if they themselves were propositioned to do the same thing in real life without compensation.

In fact, the behavior of ‘trolls’ and ‘fanboys’ differs subtly but meaningfully: the latter is unobjective but not usually hostile towards others, whereas the former is significantly more aggressive because he or she feels their identity is threatened. It is no different from the schoolyard bully, except for the reverse chronological pathology: most children grow out of such behavior as their own confidence and identity develops, however the reverse is true here: it develops with age. Perhaps it is a subtle variant on the ‘midlife crisis’ in which an individual with average to below average accomplishment feels insecure with the lack of perceived recognition from their immediate social circle and thus needs to seek it elsewhere.

Interestingly, these people tend to be quite normal in person; I have on several occasions met people at photography-related gatherings and subsequently encountered them again online, both in situations that were directly and personally hostile as well as evidenced by historical interactions with other forum members. In some cases, there is evidence of borderline schizophrenic or bipolar disorder requiring treatment. This is also one of the most fascinating behavioral changes provoked by the internet: the layer of anonymity and disconnection consistently forces individuals to do or say things they would never consider in personal face-to-face interaction; I cannot help but feel this is not a good thing for society as a whole.

This is part of the reason I don't post anonymously. (The other reason is that I first started posting on the Arpanet back in the Eighties, and anonymity was strongly discouraged by the few employers that gave access to the Arpanet.) If a poster is writing from a politically repressive country (where prison or torture is a real possibility), or writing from a work desk at company that monitors everything a worker says on the Internet (the milder capitalist/corporatist version of the above), OK, I get it.

But why otherwise? Anonymity just seems to make for more rancor and name-calling.

Last edited:
Jésus, this is Iggy : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opBcpTyG0s4

A lot of good reason not do be famous.... a really good one is it's not Arpanet anymore ! (or than my wife is behind a computer or the opposite !)

Ouarf, the book v2 or v3 should be better or vice-versa ? Too funny, the verity should have an identity card and writed by the owner : better ?! ! Here guys you are better techncians than philosophs imho ! Though you stay honnest at least !

The only verity is it is staying valid after the testings, alors ok... before we change of paradigm again ! Plank Vs Einstein : who is right ? both paradigms work in their own domain but don't mix totally !

Le reste : c'est praole et musique ! Btw beaucoup de blabla here, me the first :).... also a lot of good infos as well :) !

Last edited:
It's true that I post from the security of retirement, and don't have to answer to bosses. I can see why somebody who is an independent consultant, or working in a heavily monitored work environment, has to be conscious of their public image.

But what's political about silly things like horns vs direct-radiators, tubes vs transistors, or this or that camera brand? No employer cares about that.

The post by Dr. P.L. touches on an important point: people behave differently when they are anonymous. Traditionally, a masked ball was an opportunity for people to behave outrageously, to transgress social norms. But in something as inconsequential as a camera or audio forum?

Last edited:
Why, this is easy : what would you do if your wife likes horns (I don't know if the picture is good ?!), works at the CIA, believes you are consultant while you are pianist and like planars ? hein ?

Here we have an expression, i believe you have also in USA : "don't tell my mother I'm a white colar in IBM, she believes I'm a pianist the night in a Jazz bar"... or vice-versa I don't remember !

Some defends their name or identity/ego, more than their ideas... You should ask yourself instead : when it beginns necessary not to be Anonymous to defend an idea ? You said it yourself just above ! But this exception, is it really important ?

Last edited:
I can see the point of some people wanting to use there real whole name but these days of internet intrusions I'm not so sure I want to do that. I use a moniker that was related to my company name. I've actually had a few figure out my whole name here from something floating around on the internet out in the ether. I just don't want people calling me at home unless I give my number to them directly, not someone doing a search and calling out of the blue. I don't have anything to hide but at this point in time I would say more calls to me are robo calling marketing schemes. I have to look at the caller id and that doesn't catch the ones spoofing a number. When I put up a site and make things very public then there will be a way to directly contact me. My number is listed, not an unlisted number so I may be a bit more paranoid about this than someone else.

At the same time the excerpt from that paper was interesting and the use of the words bi-polar and borderline schizo is interesting. Social media has skewed how people who seem to think they are truly anonymous will speak to others and attack at will. Respect seems to have gone out the window between parties.

Attachments

• VintageVoltageDenver.jpg
    VintageVoltageDenver.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
It's true that I post from the security of retirement, and don't have to answer to bosses. I can see why somebody who is an independent consultant, or working in a heavily monitored work environment, has to be conscious of their public image.

But what's political about silly things like horns vs direct-radiators, tubes vs transistors, or this or that camera brand? No employer cares about that.

The post by Dr. P.L. touches on an important point: people behave differently when they are anonymous. Traditionally, a masked ball was an opportunity for people to behave outrageously, to transgress social norms. But in something as inconsequential as a camera or audio forum?

Not everyone goes online, or waits for the ball.

ON Wednesday morning I took Pensioner No 1, (who is near death's door and looks like it), to the lab for tests and afterwords we went to nearby McD's for coffee.

We were animatedly discussing local politics, (I think the mayor's a "commie" and he was trying to get me to take a more nuanced view, and we'd digressed a bit onto the unfortunate outcome of an important infra-structure project), when...

Pensioner No2, (not at all near death's door, and has muscle mass), came past with coffee in one hand and a half full black garbage bag in the other, and said, in comment about what P. No1, was saying:

"Yeah, it's a joke." Sits at a table near us.

P. No1: "Who asked you? Nobody cares what you think."

P. 2: "People get filled in talking like that."

P. 1: "Follow that and you'll be talking to the boyz in blue. And ... nobody cares what you think, you're a nothing."

P. 2 is steaming. More escalating dialogue of similar edifying nature ensues.

And the McD's clean up lady, who is older than our combined ages, catches on and say's loudly, very loudly, "That's enough! I'm talking to the manager."

I'm helpless with the giggle fits even though I'm the one who'll have to stand up between these idiots. And I'm thinking, no good turn goes unpunished.:rolleyes:

Who needs the internet, chat rooms, masked balls? There's always McD's.:D

Lynn - good post. I don't post anonymously either. I don't trust people who do.
Sorry but that is a completely unacceptable and anti humanitarian point of view.

The universal and appropriate advice given to anybody who is about to establish themselves a presence on the Internet, is to do so anonymously.

Reasons include identity theft, stalking and bullying, personal threats to safety, and having one's career compromised by the many, many employers who make it their business to Google their employees and have no compunction about treating them with prejudice for simple things such as the choice of Hobbies and interests outside of work.

Not trusting people who make the right choices for their own safety and for their families, is ridiculous. If you have just been lucky, then don't use that luck as a weapon to make judgements against the character of other people. I resent it.

Sorry but that is a completely unacceptable and anti humanitarian point of view.

I'm sure I'll catch sh!t for this, but I think its an age-based mentality (..in general, with I'm sure - plenty of exceptions).

Older-aged people: seem to have this bias about personal names equating to being "forthright". They don't really see a "down-side" as it pertains to them and therefor there should be little downside for those they interact with. Blase hubris :yawn: - "power walking with scissors".

Middle-aged people: are far more conscious of just what could happen - and often will do a little bit more to protect their personal security. Usually not nearly enough, but something. Attempted development :shhh: - "condom users that are well aware that Aids is a real "thing" even if unlikely".

Younger people: know the risks - and as a group often better than those above, but with rare exception, really don't care. The "upside" is worth it more than the "down-side" - which is largely related to friends/clicks/interests and dating. NSA approved :wave2: - "sure, there's a perv stalking my Facebook page, but Stacy's not going to be interested in me if I don't "like" her".

Last edited:

Perhaps my post was a little over the top, but my point was that posting anonymously allows people to be impolite and untruthful as there is no accountability. When you post in a manner that connects you directly you have to be honest and try not to make too many enemies. I think the later is more the way the internet should go, not the former.

Earl,
I somewhat understand your position on using your real name here, you are in fact marketing your products in a certain way by your communications. At the same time I think you would be mighty disturbed if someone unannounced showed up at your home and said they knew you from this site and wanted to see your speakers. There has to be a line where you don't want people to cross.

On the other hand what makes you comfortable having communications with others? Do you have to know there last name, is a first name basis enough? I have discussions with others that as long as they aren't rude or condescending that are very productive. Yes much of that goes through PM or personal email or even on the phone. When it calls for it I have no problem using my full name, just not on a website where the majority of the viewers are not registered on the site and could be anyone anywhere looking for god knows what.

I guess I've been around computers and the internet long enough now to understand the security risks and the crazy stuff people will do and have done. If the government and many of the largest companies in the world can get hacked why would I think it couldn't happen to me. It isn't always possible to keep everything we work on on an isolated computer not connected to the web. I do at times have to send and receive technical information and it only takes that one second of being online to be hit with someone looking to do something nefarious. I've had Chinese magnet manufacturers visit me here in the States, at the time I had to write a letter to the government to get them into the country. I gladly met them and had them in my home, even took them to Disney Land, but they did not step one foot into my manufacturing facility, that was not going to happen. Theft of IP is just part of that interaction, you do need to protect what you've worked so hard to create. I don't think you would be to thrilled if someone in China started to sell exact copies of your speakers in Asia and say they are authentic. have fun putting a stop to that.

Security, both personal and professional is ours to consider, if you don't and think you are not vulnerable then that is your choice.

Kindhornman (or whatever your real name is) - I am not a security nut, I am not paranoid and I do not believe the government is out to get me. I do find that anonymous posters are often the most aggressive and impolite. I fear that hiding behind a false name gives them a sense of security that promotes irresponsible behavior.

I have only once (in some 20 years) had an undesirable contact from a wako, but it was singular and harmless and it was "anonymous".

Well Earl we have communicated by PM so I do know if you still have your messages I used my full name there, so that was rather rudely said. I don't think you would survive as a network administrator with your consideration of security. I would say you have been very lucky. Perhaps you didn't have kids, I've seen what mine were capable of, it is scary what they can do with a computer, and do it anonymously or even worse as spoofing someone else! Kids will be kids and don't normally intend real damage but some of those kids grow up to become even worse. Paranoia is not the problem, real bad guys are.

ps. I don't worry about the government, I don't do criminal activity. At the same time I know they have today and have for many years gathered information on all of us, that I guess we must say is part of their job. That doesn't concern me in the least, just another loss of our real freedom to do as we please in our lives without someone watching.

Last edited:
Kind - I should use smiley faces :( - that was a joke :)

I get a lot of E-mails.

I have two kids, but I am not a helicopter dad. I learned my way the hard way and they will too. I don't believe that you must protect your kids from life. They have to learn things for themselves. Of course I watch that they don't just do stupid things, but using your real name on the web is just not that dangerous. Basically I trust my kids quite a bit and as yet have not had the need to believe otherwise.

Mom is different - a true Tiger-Mom in every sense. I try and keep things on a more rational playing field.

Kindhornman (or whatever your real name is) - I am not a security nut, I am not paranoid and I do not believe the government is out to get me. I do find that anonymous posters are often the most aggressive and impolite. I fear that hiding behind a false name gives them a sense of security that promotes irresponsible behavior.

I have only once (in some 20 years) had an undesirable contact from a wako, but it was singular and harmless and it was "anonymous".

It's not about only Gvt and paranoia ! The writes stay, not the speechs (vocal I mean) ! Most of us have Nothing to defend (business, reputation but maybe Professional, etc...). There are also people who catch the identity of others, etc !

Problems nowadays are that all you write can be outputed of its original context, and your own ideas can change also ! Big data, data mindings : all those stuffs can paint of you Something untrue ! When you look at a job, in 5 minutes someone can trust anything, etc !

Are we really someone when we have 4 000 friends, Facebook, etc ! You want to be or want to be seen ! I don't trust people who have too much "friends" and what is writed in the Who's Who : it's marketing ! It's like today : politics take decision for the mass by watching the media while the true things are around hidden people ! It's not a plot, it's how it's works from the prehistoric time !

Though I believe you are in the relativ honnest personns here, you are defending a paradigm seriously.

An umpolite personn can be Anonymous... or not ! Here I know one or two whith their post with their real name whom are unpolite and thieves ! So... :Pawprint:... And when I say unpolite : without any humor (though relativ to each) and dyshonnest : just want their Facebook to be lurk for their boss, wife, neighboors.... I vomit !)

two cents