Beyond the Ariel

and the same without any horn, 10 cm distance to mic.

Attachments

• 475Be sote.jpg
    475Be sote.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 707
I guess a wide band horn CD tweeter would have the same function that the RAAL ribbon tweeter does in Lynn's design. The above plots are a good illustration of the roll off you get with any mid range CD driver / horn, that requires either EQ or a wide band transducer above. I wonder what the optimum Le Cleac'h flare rate would be? A 1200Hz horn would be about 60mm long and 120mm mouth dia. Might go well with the 425 horns - a nice little project for some TD2001 I have. But is there any actual advantage over using say a 500Hz horn? Perhaps directivity would be better (narrower) with the 500Hz flare? I have often wondered what the design objective of the low flare rate short horn stub on old WE tweeters was (WE597).

Truetone,
That driver would work perfect on the horn I show. It is a 1.5khz horn but will work down to about 1.2khz. The advantage is a much wider dispersion pattern in the highs if that is what you are looking for. A longer horn that size will have a very narrow dispersion at high frequency, that is just something you have to decide when you chose a horn for each application.

Wouldn't a real tweeter be better...

...than a 1" compression driver (CD) on a tiny horn?

I mean, the CD, even with a Be diaphragm like the TAD, would still be in break-up mode in the middle of the last octave (10-20kHz).

A GOOD horn tweeter, instead, such as e.g. the top-of-the-line Fostex ring radiators (T900A, T500A-II) or the TAD ET-703 mini-compression driver, or a high-end ribbon, would just be cruising along in the range it was actually designed to cover best.

Marco

The 2" Radians sound plastic now after trying better stuff. Must be the mylar surround. It make them sound toyish. Still smooth and they win over many other drivers. I tested yesterday again if a Beyma TPL would give anything extra. I am in doubt! Make me think 1" CD are superfluous. Must test that again. With drivers like the Community M200 I had to have a tweeter.

...than a 1" compression driver (CD) on a tiny horn?

I mean, the CD, even with a Be diaphragm like the TAD, would still be in break-up mode in the middle of the last octave (10-20kHz).

A GOOD horn tweeter, instead, such as e.g. the top-of-the-line Fostex ring radiators (T900A, T500A-II) or the TAD ET-703 mini-compression driver, or a high-end ribbon, would just be cruising along in the range it was actually designed to cover best.

Marco

Not neccessarily a problem in real life... depending on the amount of info actually present in this range, also when xovered at a fairly high 2,5 - 3k a TAD-TD-2001 (as an example) will have a mutch simpler task than usual... And a TD-2001 sound a lot gutsier than the smaller "above 7k" tweeters mentioned when used this way, in a small JMLC-1400.

Been there, done that etc. etc.

Attachments

• treble shootout.jpg
    treble shootout.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 675
An XO seem to take away information where it is at. After my minidsp experiments last week, I think an XO at 2.5kHz will be too noticable. I prefer it higher up, and live with the consequences, with beaming and such. Right now I use a very short, fast opening horn with the 2" Radian 750-8, which BTW has plenty of guts with a little EQ. I am not sure at all that this will work with the GOTO S150 clone, that I am building. It would be convenient to have one less channel to worry about, or maybe use it for an extra bass channel.

Last edited:
Not neccessarily a problem in real life... depending on the amount of info actually present in this range, also when xovered at a fairly high 2,5 - 3k a TAD-TD-2001 (as an example) will have a mutch simpler task than usual... And a TD-2001 sound a lot gutsier than the smaller "above 7k" tweeters mentioned when used this way, in a small JMLC-1400.

Been there, done that etc. etc.

Is that a JA4281B in the picture, back right? If so what are your impressions?

marco_gea,
I'm in agreement that a TAD ET-703 is a great driver but at the same time the price has gotten crazy. I bought a pair at one time from TAD for less than $500.00 so the profit margin is astronomical now. This is my target device with the beryllium dome tweeter I am working on building.

At the same time it is a fallacy to think that even a 1" dome tweeter is not in breakup mode in the upper octave. Read any of the Marin Colloms books on High Performance Loudspeakers and you will come away with other ideas of what is happening to the shape of a dome while trying to produce any frequencies that are less than the diameter of the dome.

Kindhornman said:
At the same time it is a fallacy to think that even a 1" dome tweeter is not in breakup mode in the upper octave. Read any of the Marin Colloms books on High Performance Loudspeakers and you will come away with other ideas of what is happening to the shape of a dome while trying to produce any frequencies that are less than the diameter of the dome.

Yes, that's why I didn't mention dome tweeters at all. Ring radiators and some ribbon tweeters are not in break-up mode though.
I personally use the Fostex T925A and it sounds (and measures) quite smooth to me.

Marco