Beyond the Ariel

... I usually by pass the series resistor with a cap to tilt the top end up...
I have tried that, it does improved in some cases, but when the system becomes more coherent, that part becomes the problematic point. In one case I had to take it out, and I am still trying to located other devices out there to see if this problem is consistent. In my case, the problem was revealed upon improvement of amplifier performance.

I'm very glad I jumped in the deep end of the pool and went ahead with large-format compression drivers. They sound very different than their small-format brothers, with an easy, effortless midrange that is quite striking and memorable. I imagine Pano will chime in here; there's something about large-format that's special.

Translate the difference into woofer sizes; if a 2.88" compression driver is like a 15" woofer, then a 1.75" compression driver is like a 9" woofer. They sound quite different, and EQ does not really compensate for the difference, since it is a difference in dynamics.

So the top octave isn't there; big deal. There are a number of supertweeters that are quite good these days - and aside from the big RAAL Lazy Ribbon, the non-horn TPL-150 would be at the head of the list, since the efficiency is almost a perfect match for the 15" bass driver.

Last edited:
I'm very glad I jumped in the deep end of the pool and went ahead with large-format compression drivers. They sound very different than their small-format brothers, with an easy, effortless midrange that is quite striking and memorable. I imagine Pano will chime in here; there's something about large-format that's special.

Translate the difference into woofer sizes; if a 2.88" compression driver is like a 15" woofer, then a 1.75" compression driver is like a 9" woofer. They sound quite different, and EQ does not really compensate for the difference, since it is a difference in dynamics.

So the top octave isn't there; big deal. There are a number of supertweeters that are quite good these days - and aside from the big RAAL Lazy Ribbon, the non-horn TPL-150 would be at the head of the list, since the efficiency is almost a perfect match for the 15" bass driver.

Makes me :)

Glad to join!

Turns out my harsh attitude about "the sound of horns" was the sound of small-format, titanium-diaphragm compression drivers mated to horns with a diffraction pinch in the throat. There are some things no amount of magic digital EQ can fix.

I was also referring to your comment regarding clean effortless dynamics over outright frequency response. I have other unpopular experiences as well.
When your fingers (not pick) are directly driving the speakers you tend to notice quite a few things.

Last edited:
Glad to join!

Turns out my harsh attitude about "the sound of horns" was the sound of small-format, titanium-diaphragm compression drivers mated to horns with a diffraction pinch in the throat. There are some things no amount of magic digital EQ can fix.

Particularly if you run them high up. Nothing wrong with small format titanium CDs, so long as you filter them well and don't run the phragms into breakup (much). Most people don't want to use a supertweeter with a 1" throat CD, but I think it's a good idea, rather than trying to push the CD beyond its happy place.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Regarding the supertweeter, isn't it incredibly hard and nearly impossible to get a flat response that high up when the difference in acoustic centers is so large? I'm running something similar with a large tractrix horn and a large format CD, but crossing to something at 5k or 7k will surely ruin the response.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If you already have a nice Compression Driver and Horn, I honestly reckon your money is best served doubling up on those GPA woofers rather than spending a large sum of money on super tweeters

Rather than doubling up, the next step is a front horn for the 15 inchers. I've heard that on John's system (inlowsound.com), the dynamics are crazy. It's the same experience as going from 90db/W to 100db/W. With the front horn, you're at 110db/W, and you go, "What have I been listening to so far?"

Yes of course, but in terms of the return for your money (bang for buck) there is more to be had by improving the mid to low range.
I have been doing measurements to understand more about this and I think the answer is due to the fact that 95% of what you hear (including harmonics) in music happens below 15kHz (if not 10kHz), so your not getting a lot in return by chasing the last 5kHz. In addition to that quite a few people cannot hear that much past 15kHz (it could be money down the drain for some people)
My scanspeak setup is now in the garage in favour of speakers that can't manage greater than 15kHz. It all comes down to the ear wants to hear what the ear wants to hear

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
For a good sense of envelopment (or imaging, as they like to call it), I've found that I need more dispersion than the large horn can manage above 3 kHz. About -6db at 45 or 60deg would be ideal.

OTOH, if you have a hard floor and many reflective surfaces, you can probably get away with the narrow dispersion by crossing the horns in front of the listening position.

There is nothing wrong with the extension (>15 kHz) or the quality of the treble from the large format CD. In fact, it sounds more natural than many tweeters that I've heard. The only problem is the narrow dispersion.

There is nothing wrong with the extension (>15 kHz) or the quality of the treble from the large format CD. In fact, it sounds more natural than many tweeters that I've heard. The only problem is the narrow dispersion.

That is a very good point, I wonder if the Beyma tpl 150 would be better in this regard. I suspect so.
In that case wouldn't you just run the Beyma without the horn?