Beyond the Ariel

657 pages now, and still no prototype? Wow, that must be the true meaning of the word boring. :)

Was Texas done away with in the new forum?

Really, this has been one of the more interesting threads in the past few years and yes it isn't a build thread.

Thank you to Lynn, johnk, Dr Geddes, mige, Panomaniac, BudP, and all the others I am forgetting in my moment of gratitude for sharing their knowledge and experiences with us.

Regards,

Chris

Seems that the natives have become restless ... In the meantime here is some fascinating fun to be had: Schoeps Microphone Showroom

A big thanks to Alan Shaw of Harbeth for the link.

Cilla

great link, thank you very much.

I was surprised at the subtlety of the differences between some the micing systems on the ensemble. I wish they had included Blumlein, since Schoeps makes such a nice figure of eight mic.

Glad to see Schoeps is on the ball with their website development. they make some of my favorite mics and it's good to see them prosper with an old fashioned business model.

Lastly, a bit of mischief from Mr Gallo: http://www.drowninginbrown.com/dib_sp.htm

I have a mono system in the living room. ....Sounds be-u-ti-full all over the house.

I love those 3-D glasses :)

Had to develop on passive XO's recently - not my cup of tee usually - and ran out of parts, hence I "voiced" the speaker in MONO.
Really was impressed on the beauty and richness of sound – including basic room information – available form a single speaker.
I simply have forgotten that MONO is a serious option too – no lack in emotional involvement into music as I should have remembered form days gone.

On the other hand – I would not like to give up on all the fancy effects modern STEREO has to offer – I'm loving it.

So, switching back to STEREO with the finally "voiced" speakers was "not that bad at all"
:)

Michael

Last edited:
Had to develop on passive XO's recently - not my cup of tee usually - and ran out of parts, hence I "voiced" the speaker in MONO.
Really was impressed on the beauty and richness of sound – including basic room information – available form a single speaker.
I simply have forgotten that MONO is a serious option too – no lack in emotional involvement into music as I should have remembered form days gone.

On the other hand – I would not like to give up on all the fancy effects modern STEREO has to offer – I'm loving it.

So, switching back to STEREO with the finally "voiced" speakers was "not that bad at all"
:)

Michael

I have been told that doing listening tests in mono is much easier and I tend to agree! It takes out one element, which is the stereo reconstruction illusion that our brain has to process.

Mono testing has been shown to lead to different results than stereo. I should never do a listening test in stereo, but mono is just so much easier.

Nearly every psychoacoustic study is based on single source setups. There's virtually now data for stereo and none for multichannel. But in the end that's all that matters in sound reproduction. It's a shame.

Best, Markus

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In the meantime here is some fascinating fun to be had: Schoeps Microphone Showroom

Thanks for that Pdan. Great fun. Listened to them all. Interesting to hear how different some are - and how similar others are.

On my system I tended to like the medium distance miking no matter what. Thought I would like the the ORTF on the ensemble best, but actually preferred the 90 deg.

A friend of mine had a couple of pair of Schoeps tube mics that actually came from the O.R.T.F. Lovely mics, separate power supplies. Used them a number of times in the ORTF holders and loved them. Need an almost hour to warm up before they sounded right.

I had some of the transistor Schoeps, but they got stolen along with my old tube Neumann. =(

A bit "back" topic...

Hello,
My reservation about arrays is the difficulty with time arrivals when slightly off-axis.

Did you mean this behaviour?
20091228_RD75_re_eq_60dB_-100cm_+100cm_0_-10dB_sonogram_contoured_t.jpg

Link for full measurements
(Measured on a B&G RD75 parallel to the speaker plane in a 0,5m distance in 10mm vertical steps.)

I cannot "hear" that stated arrival deviations, maybe due to the Haas-effect. In my opinion a good line array may be pinpointed as exactly as a horn driver, without disturbing vertical smearing. Of course do exist remarkable holes in the amplitude response anywhere in the soundfield.

Regards, Timo