Beyond the Ariel

Lynn Olson said:
The Altecs are low-Q, of course, and not an effective choice for the low end of a dipole speaker. You might try a pair or quartet of the Dipole15 (LO), use them as bass augmenters (low-pass filtered just below the baffle peak)

I am newbie-the crosover is a nightmare for me!!! I cant do this by myself... this is my first contact with horns...

As You said- 416 on baffle as a bass is not good idea. I trayed box without back, wings etc. all this is not acceptable for me- boom, boom, bomm

So I would rather try Lo15, Its a pity US$ incrase so much :)

Best
C

Attachments

• jam_3848.jpg
    jam_3848.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 890
CLS said:

WOW! What a thick top plate!

I'm wondering if this will be a production model or just a few are made...

The top plates were actually turned down significantly from the standard Dipole15's. The standard version have a 1.5" thick top plate and a .5" long coil. These have the same coil but the top plate thickness is brought down to only 1-1/8" to match the Xmax to the available suspension. This also increases the flux density in the gap a little more.

These are a driver that we can make anytime. Every driver we make right now is custom built as it is ordered, so the process would be the same as all others.

John

Thanks John, and did you recieve my email, about 2 hours ago?

My interest would be a little different from that of Mr. Olson.

I'd like to have:

1) double-deck magnet (like 'normal' TD15M) to have a higher BL and higher sensitivity.
2) single, short voice coil, 6~8 Ohm nominal impedance (4~6 Ohm of Re)
3) only 2~3mm of Xmax is needed (but please give 4~5mm more for Xsus)
4) only 75~100W power capacity is needed
5) Qes is not particularly concerned, 0.3~0.7 is acceptable
6) fs can be higher, up to 60Hz is acceptable
7) Lambda motor of course, while Apollo upgrade is not needed.

So, you can do that, right?
Any comments and suggestion? :)

CLS said:
I'd like to have:

1) double-deck magnet (like 'normal' TD15M) to have a higher BL and higher sensitivity.
2) single, short voice coil, 6~8 Ohm nominal impedance (4~6 Ohm of Re)
3) only 2~3mm of Xmax is needed (but please give 4~5mm more for Xsus)
4) only 75~100W power capacity is needed
5) Qes is not particularly concerned, 0.3~0.7 is acceptable
6) fs can be higher, up to 60Hz is acceptable
7) Lambda motor of course, while Apollo upgrade is not needed.

Just by curiosity, why you don't want to go with the standard TD15M ?

It answers to point 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, it's just a bit overbuilt for your specs.

You want to reach 100 dB/W/m ? (Since standard TD15M is 98 dB/W/m)

I'd like to have a midrange driver out of this monster 15" frame and cone, actually:devilr: And would like to use it in the range of 100~1.5kHz (more or less... ). While I'm pretty sure the dynamic will be excellent, I won't need the huge SPL ability in home use.

So, I don't need 30-some Hz of fs, the 6mm Xmax, and the 500W capacity of the original TD15M.

Higher sensitivity will also be much appreciated, of course:D

Oh, did I mention underhang motor?

I know, but I think up to around 1kHz should be OK for a good 15"er. TD15M is good for 4k on axis, so I guess 1.5~2k should be no problem.

I like big midrange.

I used big midrange horn for years (Oris150). Now I dump them because of limited living space, how sad. To maintain the sense of big and effortless, I'm after big cone area now...

I like the lower to middle midrange from Altec 515 and TAD 1601 very much. I think TD15M should be at least equally good, probably better.

agent.5 said:

Just a factoid for people that want to buy pre-made curve panels, or large radius corners.

http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.Asp?WoodType=MDFJ&CATID=10&Section=MDFJQTRRND&wDesc=MDF Prefit (J)%20Quarter%20Rounds

Click on millworks components
then select curved plywood catalog

They're 20 minutes from me :)

And yet I haven't dropped in. Something about their hours being only during my workday..... I'll drop in over the holidays though, and may wind up building some sexy enclosures using their awesome catalog parts.

CLS said:
I'd like to have a midrange driver out of this monster 15" frame and cone, actually:devilr: And would like to use it in the range of 100~1.5kHz (more or less... ). While I'm pretty sure the dynamic will be excellent, I won't need the huge SPL ability in home use.

So, I don't need 30-some Hz of fs, the 6mm Xmax, and the 500W capacity of the original TD15M.

Higher sensitivity will also be much appreciated, of course:D

Oh, did I mention underhang motor?

Well the actual TD15M can be used as a midrange already. Due to the curvilinear cone, I think beaming starts at 2 kHz. It stays flat on-axis up to 4 kHz.

I'm sure that John could lower the capabilities to suit your needs, but why do you want that ? Since the price will not be cheaper, why not take that driver already ?

Unless you want higher sensivity, that's the only point I could see... I wonder how much a shorter/lighter coil could improve sensivity...

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2008
mige0 said:

... up to the point where this same motor could be used for the new 6.5" possibly?

Michael

6.5" driver uses a 1.5" VC, the rest of the TD line use 2" VC

I also agree that the only change between the M and what you proposed is making it underhung. If its parts that can be taken off the shelf we will accommodate most anything, but if a special VC has to be ordered be prepared to pay that extra cost.

Hello CLS,

It looks like the standard TD15M will meet most all of those goals. It is not an underhung design but you do have plenty of Xmax. The main benefit to the underhung is the flat BL curve, although if you only need 2-3mm, the BL curve will still be extremely flat in that range.

One possibility is the standard TD motor with the Dipole15 coil. This is a dual 8ohm configuration though. In parallel the coils would be DCR of about 3.1ohm though so a little low. This is a .5" long coil and in the .75" tall gap gives a little over 3mm overhang and about 4-5mm when BL reaches .707 the rest value. Mass with that coil is not too much different, maybe 2grams or so lighter than the TDM coil. Expect efficiency to be pretty close to the TD15M, but you may gain about 1dB. Suspension travel is good to about 12mm so there is plenty of physical Xsus.

As Nick mentioned, if it's off the shelf parts, we can do this at the standard TD series pricing. If a coil needs to be ordered, then there would have to be a charge for that in small quantities. We can sample the coils needed as long as quantity is fairly low. There would be a $150 fee for designing and sourcing the coil.

John

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2008
mige0 said:
What are the trade off's - in general - between over hung and underhung in terms of sensitivity ?

Underhung wastes gap flux since the coil is not using all of it at any given time. So for the same magnet size you usually end up with less sensitivity all else being equal even after the lighter mass of the VC is accounted for.

Underhung has a sharper flux drop off once the coil starts to leave the gap.

Underhung require longer VC formers which can have a few problems with structural stability and RMS modulation (if conductive).

Underhung are physically smaller coils so they power compress faster all else being equal.

Underhung is good when either you need lower sensitivity from a given magnet size and/or lower inductance to increase the bandwidth.