Beyond the Ariel

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2008
Re: Yowza

ScottG said:
Also consider the counter-wound coil that 18sound has (i.e. "active impedance")!:) (..I believe its a pretty old tech. so no patent prob.s.) 2*32 and 2*16 ohm coils (for 16 and 8 ohm operation).

PM me some details on the design please. Since our stuff is so modular we can make multiple options for whatever people want (just as long as their wallet can keep up) Would this need 4 terminals on the driver?

nullspace said:
Please, PLEASE make the coils so that they can be run off a 12Vdc battery. SLA batteries are far superior to a HP lab DC on my Fertin 20EX field coils.

Thats probably a good idea, I haven't thought too much about it yet to be honest. The magnet charger I built for Lambda I was able to get it to run on lower voltage and the field coil motor design we will do will be very efficient. 12V might be a good middle of the road voltage to target. Anyone with power supply design experience I would love some input on what is easily available on the market (and we should probably do that in a different thread) We will most likely not be offering power supplies for them.

chrismercurio said:
Please make the WE 755 copy first.....

6 pots on the stove for new designs, each of them have waiting issues that are out of my hands so between them all I can stay busy. That one is waiting on the cone manufacturer and sourcing of a basket since that cone is so shallow.

badman said:
Hey nick, wanna sell me some AE stock? ;)

I need some myself.................

Re: Re: Yowza

Hi Nick,

Perhaps there is room for two camps on your field coil speaker design. You could have a low voltage model for those that want to use regulated DC supplies or sealed lead-acid batteries. However, I think the vacuum tube amp enthusiast would like to see a high voltage model. Maybe something like the JBL D130E woofer.

Link to D130E woofer: http://audioheritage.org/html/readers-photos/d130e.htm

I can really see a lot of tube heads salivating over building high voltage power supplies with low DCR industrial control transformers, mercury vapor rectifiers, nickel core filter chokes, and paper in oil capacitors. Wow! I’m making myself salivate, gotta stop!

In all seriousness, I think you could get a lot of takers with a high voltage model. To me it has always been more efficient to use high voltage and low current. Hopefully you will give it due consideration.

Rgs, JLH

nickmckinney said:

PM me some details on the design please. Since our stuff is so modular we can make multiple options for whatever people want (just as long as their wallet can keep up) Would this need 4 terminals on the driver?

Thats probably a good idea, I haven't thought too much about it yet to be honest. The magnet charger I built for Lambda I was able to get it to run on lower voltage and the field coil motor design we will do will be very efficient. 12V might be a good middle of the road voltage to target. Anyone with power supply design experience I would love some input on what is easily available on the market (and we should probably do that in a different thread) We will most likely not be offering power supplies for them.

6 pots on the stove for new designs, each of them have waiting issues that are out of my hands so between them all I can stay busy. That one is waiting on the cone manufacturer and sourcing of a basket since that cone is so shallow.

I need some myself.................

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2008
Re: Re: Re: Yowza

chrismercurio said:
I may have a lead for you on shallow baskets. PM me at

chris_mercurio at hotmail.com

Sending one now, I have some leads but there are so many to sort through its an all day job.

JLH said:
Hi Nick,

Perhaps there is room for two camps on your field coil speaker design. You could have a low voltage model for those that want to use regulated DC supplies or sealed lead-acid batteries. However, I think the vacuum tube amp enthusiast would like to see a high voltage model. Maybe something like the JBL D130E woofer.

Link to D130E woofer: http://audioheritage.org/html/readers-photos/d130e.htm

I can really see a lot of tube heads salivating over building high voltage power supplies with low DCR industrial control transformers, mercury vapor rectifiers, nickel core filter chokes, and paper in oil capacitors. Wow! I’m making myself salivate, gotta stop!

In all seriousness, I think you could get a lot of takers with a high voltage model. To me it has always been more efficient to use high voltage and low current. Hopefully you will give it due consideration.

Actually that could be done without too much trouble, my original though was to have the same company that winds our voice coils to wind this coil as well since with the square wire you get maximum efficiency. If you were careful you could change the coil in the field by removing the rear plate and pole assembly, it will be a bolt together design.

Despite Alnico and field coil temptations, I'm still in love with NdFeB and underhung motors for wide BW midranges, and hope a 10" midrange that can cover the full 80-1,500Hz human voice at 94-96db SPL is a challenge AES will take on.

For field coils, a PC power supply that supports advanced graphics cards would be a low cost option. Fanless PC supplies go up to about 15A @ 12V. A PC supply with fan goes up to 1000W with 35A @12V.

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA6224501

$39 PC power supply...heatpipe + heatsink cooling... no fans
two 12V power regulators... up to 15A each
1A to 15A @ 12V DC - Output Current

GENERAL INFORMATION
Manufacturer MGE Company
Manufacturer Part Number PSMG-500
Product Name Magnum 500 500W ATX Ver 2.0 AC Power Supply
Product Type ATX 12V

POWER DESCRIPTION
Input Voltage 100V AC to 230V AC
Output Voltage 3.3V DC ±5%
5V DC ±5%
12V DC ±5%
12V DC ±5%
-12V DC ±10%
5V DC ±5% Standby
Current 80A @ 115 V AC to 230 V AC - Surge - Input Current
10A @ 115V AC - Input Current
5A @ 230V AC - Input Current
0.5A to 25A @ 3.3V DC - Output Current
1A to 30A @ 5V DC - Output Current
0A to 0.5A @ -12V DC - Output Current
0A to 2A @ 5V DC - StandbyOutput Current
Output Power 500 W

===============================

COMPLEX CONIC HORNS ON THE RENKUS-HEINZ SITE

Renkus-Heinz 1" Complex Conic Horns
CCH1000/44 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1000Hz,40x40,REV A
CCH1000/64 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1000Hz,60x40,REV A
CCH1000/94 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1000Hz,90x40,REV A
CCH1200-12 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1200Hz,120x60,1"
CCH1200-15 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1200Hz,150x60,1"
CCH1200-9 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1200Hz,90x60,1"
CCH1500-6 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1500Hz,60x40,1"
CCH1500-9 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1500Hz,90x40,1"

Renkus-Heinz 2" Complex Conic Horns
CCH500-66 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,1500Hz,60x60,2"
CCH500-94 HORN,CMPLX CONIC,500Hz,90x40,2"
CCH500/44 HORN,COMPLX CONIC,500Hz,40x40,2"
CCH500/64 HORN,COMPLX CONIC,500Hz,60x40,2"

The 500Hz horns appear to use coaxial compression drivers to cover the full 500-18K Hz
Co-entrant drivers are also discussed for the 500Hz horns.
============================================

Attachments

• magnum500.jpg
    magnum500.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 693
Re: Re: Re: Yowza

I am not familiar with field coil design. Are you saying that the field coil in the speaker is essentially the output transformer?

I read your linked JBL article. It said that the D130 has a 1600 ohm field coil. So, I am just wondering if we can design a SET amplifier (maybe parafeed to block DC) and use the field coil as an output transformer with a 1600 ohm loadline.

I think this may be an attractive option for those that want to have separate amp for each woofer. Similar design is RAAL, which has a 175:1 transformer for its ribbon. So one can just hook a triode to RAAL and get around a 3000 ohm loadline.