Beyond the Ariel

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: More Thoughts ...

MJL21193 said:
or a non-polarized capactor has a better sounding direction, or that crossover components are suseptable to vibration (the electrons get dizzy?), or silver being superior to copper as a conductor for the < 2volts audio signal from preamp to power amp, or the whole long laundry list of other BS that's out there.

This should get interesting...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

MJL21193 said:
a non-polarized capactor has a better sounding direction, or that crossover components are suseptable to vibration (the electrons get dizzy?), or silver being superior to copper as a conductor for the < 2volts audio signal from preamp to power amp

A non-polar capacitor's physical construction does make it non-symmetrical...

and that capacitors can be affected by vibration is pretty easy to demonstrate...

And i think it is pretty much agrred that wire can sound different (ie difference exists, it becomes a question of degree)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

MJL21193 said:
If it's such an innovation, why isn't everyone doing it? Could this just be artsy styling? Do the benefits of this cone shape outweigh the detriments?

We do know that this speaker -- designed in the 50s (?) -- is pretty special to this day...

And we do know that at least Fostex is using similar technology.

dave

Wow. I was tired, so went to bed early last night, then this morning two full pages of posts to read.

Hi John.

I agree with you re the Decware. Capturing and re-using energy via a box might help generate an impression of improved frequency response, yet it cannot do anything for the initial dynamics of music reproduction.

Going back to my absorbent carpet roll tests; you could try wrapping a rolled up soft blanket around the perimeter and between your wooden roundovers.
You might try over the rounded wood as well.

Cheers ......... Graham.

johninCR I've been revisiting your original drawing somewhere around page 16 of this thread. The tube or TL is shaped as a series of steps, each step becoming greater in CSA. If I then refer back to a site which GM recommended me to with experiments on a pipe. It showed how an increase in area of a tube became a low pass filter. I don't know if this works if the increase in CSA goes from a given point right to the end. It does seem possible though that making the TL the way you have is like a series of low pass filters and maybe why on a test done by Mr. Olsen on one of his designs there was no higher frequency at the terminus, if his design was in steps. Maybe GM will throw up his hands in horror again and say, " will he never understand.". I am trying.
Maybe Scottmoose could say whether the stepped horns on the spawn of Frugelhorn series pass less higher frequencies than the more evenly tapered horns.
jamikl

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: Re: Re: More Thoughts ...

planet10 said:

A non-polar capacitor's physical construction does make it non-symmetrical...

and that capacitors can be affected by vibration is pretty easy to demonstrate...

And i think it is pretty much agrred that wire can sound different (ie difference exists, it becomes a question of degree)

"...it becomes a question of degree." The difference, if there at all, is not audible - it exist only in the mind of the misled individual.

As complicated as speaker construction and room acoustics are, the human brain is infinitely more-so, especially if trained to listen for something that can't be heard, but must be there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: Re: Re: More Thoughts ...

planet10 said:

We do know that this speaker -- designed in the 50s (?) -- is pretty special to this day...

And we do know that at least Fostex is using similar technology.

Mr. Olsen mentions early on in this thread that he likes the dynamics of a horn, but cannot live with the colouration it introduces. Could it not be said the "special" qualities of this cone design are nothing more than colouration?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Armed with all of the information gleened from this forum and others regarding all of the potential causes/sources for inferior audio, the beginner may as well give up before he begins. And while he's at it, give up listening to music also, because it's impossible to make it sound good, what with all of the caps installed(potentially!!??) backwards or his interconnects are just plain old copper(not even oxygen free), or perhaps refraction off the sharp edges of his cabinet are burning a hole in his forehead, or the material he used to build it is absorbing all of the best sounds. The list goes on.

Tannoy on OB

Hi All,

I just discovered this thread. I found it quite interesting that Lynn mentioned near the beginning of the thread the possible project of mounting Tannoy coaxial drivers on OB's.

I did that four years ago. See,
http://www.tnt-audio.com/shows/maf03_e.html

It is amazing how fast time has flown by. It is also gratifying to see that what was viewed as a weird idea then is catching a lot of interests today.

Cheers,

Kurt

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
Armed with all of the information gleened from this forum and others regarding all of the potential causes/sources for inferior audio, the beginner may as well give up before he begins. And while he's at it, give up listening to music also, because it's impossible to make it sound good, what with all of the caps installed(potentially!!??) backwards or his interconnects are just plain old copper(not even oxygen free), or perhaps refraction off the sharp edges of his cabinet are burning a hole in his forehead, or the material he used to build it is absorbing all of the best sounds. The list goes on.

I'm not believer in at least of 90% of Fi-Fi mumbo jumbo; also-I heard dozens of raved audio products ,many of them I have chance (unfortunate) to repair...and I'm pretty dissapointed with all that FiFi mist.....

but-your point is?
without intention to argue - and this one is first and last post regarding this from me to you- it's sometimes hard to defy laws of physics........even what ears can or can't hear

I'm blessed........I spend my time listening to music ,and just toying with audio toys......caps,wires,spks including

Re: Tannoy on OB

KCHANG said:
Hi All,

I just discovered this thread. I found it quite interesting that Lynn mentioned near the beginning of the thread the possible project of mounting Tannoy coaxial drivers on OB's.

I did that four years ago. See,
http://www.tnt-audio.com/shows/maf03_e.html

It is amazing how fast time has flown by. It is also gratifying to see that what was viewed as a weird idea then is catching a lot of interests today.

Cheers,

Kurt

Mr Olson might have been referring to these, please correct me if I'm wrong. The Tannoy 90 series Dual concentric drivers.
Apologies about the bad scan, it is a crop from a Brochure. The whole thing is about 6MB if anyone is interested.

and a picture of some speakers from the same brochure.
A few years ago Syntec International In Australia was able to supply me a replacement tweeter for one of my 90 series speakers (not dual concentric).

These dual concentric drivers may still be available as a spare part.

Edited:
I re-read the earlier messages, these are 8 inch, certainly not the 15 inch paper cone as mentioned.
Hopefully this is still of interest to someone.

johninCR said:
I'm just waiting for the next big technology breakthrough by someone like a Nikola Tesla, but with the ability to share that the internet now affords. Whether it's something in the areas of Tesla's work or simply breaking water into hydrogen and oxygen, I don't know. We're due for a big leap forward, since things have been stagnant for over half a century.

Breaking water into hydrogen and oxygen is trivial. No breakthrough is needed, unless you wish to defy the basic laws of the universe - then, good luck. The problem with molecular hydrogen as a form of energy, is just that; it's a form of energy, nothing more. There is no source of hydrogen that comes without the input of energy, and never will be - at least on this little planet. Energy is released when water is formed from hydrogen and oxygen. Conservation of mass/energy requires that the same amount of energy be supplied to reform oxygen and hydrogen from water.

Now, if you have a clever way to fuse hydrogen into helium, then that's another story and decidedly non-trivial.

Sheldon

Sheldon said:

Breaking water into hydrogen and oxygen is trivial. No breakthrough is needed, unless you wish to defy the basic laws of the universe - then, good luck. The problem with molecular hydrogen as a form of energy, is just that; it's a form of energy, nothing more. There is no source of hydrogen that comes without the input of energy, and never will be - at least on this little planet. Energy is released when water is formed from hydrogen and oxygen. Conservation of mass/energy requires that the same amount of energy be supplied to reform oxygen and hydrogen from water.

Now, if you have a clever way to fuse hydrogen into helium, then that's another story and decidedly non-trivial.

Sheldon

Sheldon,

Since it's so trivial, how about breaking water into hydrogen and oxygen at say 50% efficiency (without being too greedy) using the energy of sunlight? That wouldn't break any laws of the universe, yet it would revolutionize the world as we know it, and would be a relatively easy switch from carbon based systems.

johninCR said:

Sheldon,

Since it's so trivial, how about breaking water into hydrogen and oxygen at say 50% efficiency (without being too greedy) using the energy of sunlight? That wouldn't break any laws of the universe, yet it would revolutionize the world as we know it, and would be a relatively easy switch from carbon based systems.

OK, but the problem is not hydrogen generation, which can be done efficiently via hydrolysis. http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/pdfs/review04/hpd_p11_ingersoll.pdf The problem is harnessing sunlight. At present, photovoltaic cells are around 15% efficient. Getting to 50% is quite possible at some point in the not too distant future. It will be part of the enegy equation, no doubt.

Sheldon

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sheldon said:
OK, but the problem is not hydrogen generation, which can be done efficiently via hydrolysis. http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/pdfs/review04/hpd_p11_ingersoll.pdf The problem is harnessing sunlight. At present, photovoltaic cells are around 15% efficient. Getting to 50% is quite possible at some point in the not too distant future. It will be part of the enegy equation, no doubt.

The tech will continue to improve, but the real break thru will be when they figure out how to harness photosynthesis to directly split water.

dave