better than MDF?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I was thinking of making injunction molds, but it seems a lot goes into making such cabinets. 3d printers, cad, polymers, and what not.

So was thinking to build the cabinet with MDF. But since it is basically a type of wood, it will be subjected to scratches, damage, water-prone, etc.

So for DIY, what can be the other alternatives.

Else, even if wood is used, what methods can be used to make it atleast to a certain extent, impact and water resistant.
I have heard of Moisture resistant MDF. but i guess it is only good for sprinkles.

I also had this crazy idea, to cover the entire surface of wood with super glue. Will it do something?

Thanks.

Spray on Polymers or Stranded Bamboo...

If you really want to go "Overkill"....!

Polyurethane Spray Coating | Products | PAR Group

Spray on Polymers are a great solution.
They allow you to use a cheap core material (not just MDF) and then apply a super durable and aesthetically pleasing finish.
The downside is the environmental cost....Its a very toxic process, OK for DIY but not commercially viable.
Also cost is pretty high.
The best solution is actually stranded ( not composite block board) Bamboo with a few coats of natural oil.
Its a beautiful finish, almost totally carbon neutral & environmentally sustainable. The Bamboo will survive hostile weather for many years...

Hope this helps
Derek.

What do you plan to do with your speakers...throw them out the back of a moving truck? I use a mix of high quality plywood (13 plys in 3/4" thickness) and hardwoods like maple, walnut, etc. Finished with polyurethane they are as durable as any other piece of furniture in my listening room.

The UF glues that have in many cases been replaced by soy-based or other types of glues in US domestic produced sheet goods certainly had health risks, but the very fine particulate dust of machined is not good for the respiratory system either.

What I find ironic is that over half our production staff of 15 smoke tobacco and to a lesser degree the other stuff, and I think the science is certainly in on the health risks of both first, and perhaps? second hand exposure to the toxic chemicals therein.
In the "modern" industrialized world we have little control over our exposure to hundreds of inhaled, and unless you're on the 100ft from your kitchen counter diet, ingested chemicals and nutritionally depleted processed "food-like" substances. There are more than enough "dis-ease" vectors to which we are exposed that to point to any one as being of significantly more concern than the cumulative effect of them all is probably myopic.

Just some random afternoon mental diarrhea, of course.

Edit: Edgindin- as much as I prefer the ( generic) type of plywood of which you speak vs MDF, nothing organic based lasts forever- in its original form

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.