better driver mounting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now this may sound a weird way of doing things so first ask yourself, "do I normally see the front of the speaker, or the rear?".

My suggestion is to make the back of the cabinet removable so that you can insert or remove the drivers from behind the front baffle.

This is what I did on my open baffles but with the above proviso, the principle can be applied to box speakers too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This brings several advantages. You don't need to screw or bolt the driver in place, it can be secured with wedges of Indian rubber or suchlike.

So you don't see the rim of the driver or the fixings.

The front baffle can actually be cut larger than the rim of the driver to absolutely minimise any effect on the rear wave.

Since this is a discussion on mounting drivers...i have a quick question..
i've chosen it this way (see pic) out of sheer necessity..
can any body comment on this..

The clamps, are made of MDF and will be glued to the inner ring in the final version, The inner ring will be press fitted on the pipe.
The fit is very strong. I have to spend huge effort disassembling them than putting it all together. I also plan to provide a gasket around the driver flange for three reasons 1) to preventing airleaks 2)a better fit and 3) isolating and damping any resonances...

Does some one have an experience with this type of mounting..
Please let me know what you think. Drawbacks and how it can be improved..!

see further details here

Thanx
ajju

Attachments

• 100_0151.jpg
    100_0151.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 528
One thing I also do is put a small bead of silicone around the woofer cutout before I install the speaker. Make sure it's the soft (easy to remove) kind that can be pulled away when needed.
I don't know if it helps with mechanical stabilization, but it definitely acts as a gasket to seal any/all air leaks.:xeye:

asauer said:
One thing I also do is put a small bead of silicone around the woofer cutout before I install the speaker. Make sure it's the soft (easy to remove) kind that can be pulled away when needed.
I don't know if it helps with mechanical stabilization, but it definitely acts as a gasket to seal any/all air leaks.:xeye:

If you use silicone to seal speaker cabs, it must be fully cured before closing it up. Acetic acid is released as silicone cures. If it is inside the enclosure it will settle on the metal it finds, your drivers. It's a nasty little acid, as you can tell by the smell. If you put thick amounts it takes much more than the 24hrs they say to fully cure.

Don't find this out the hard way like I did.

WELLNUTS

About WELLNUTS:

Originally posted by mitch808:
Those would not be a good solution for subwoofers. Perhaps for a tweeter, but thats about it. I know they work great for my remote control boat and it's gasoline motor.

Originally posted by GanjaMax:
Is that like a rubber bushing/nut? If the driver was able to vibrate without being very rigidly attached to the cabinet you'd probably hear some awfull noise as the driver repeatedly slaps the box...

Jim Moriyasu, on Audioxpress 02/2002, made a study on Reducing Loudspeaker Enclosure Vibrations, and he tried the Wellnuts too, reporting an improvement in using them.

Regards
Claudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.