• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Betsy K options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GM

Joined 2003
Driver specs dictate optimal cab size for a given tuning, so any reduction reduces its low end response. Reduce it too much and and you wind up with a boom-box if you don't allow the back pressure to dissipate, which of course allows the bass response to bleed away also.

Sealed will have no bass to speak of except possibly via true corner loading, but few folks like the sound of a 'FR' driver stuck down at the floor in the corner, so up at the ceiling is the usual choice.

The Betsy's specs are better suited for sealed alignments, but to get an extended bass response requires an even bigger cab than vented, but does go lower, so combined with a bit of room gain it's a better choice overall since it can do organ symphonies, movie soundtracks at least at modest SPLs without needing EQ to protect it.

GM

Based on measured T/S params from my pair of BetsyK, 54 liters net, F3/F10 76 / 43 Hz. Won't take much power (<5 w) before over excursion.

They really don't want to be sealed. You vary size over a wide range and not change the response very much.

Note that these results are modeled. Haven't been built (and won't be).

They actually look prety good in 76 liters net, tuned to 44.5 (F3/F10 = 44/34) . There will be some quarter wave effects that haven't been accounted in these simulations.

I've been looking at cabinet options for my Betsy K drivers and can't seem to get my head around 4-8 cubic foot MLTL's! I think I would like to try sealed boxes for these and wondered if anyone could share similar experiences with this option.

Larry

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.