Bestest Debut album

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rock only debuts

1. My Generation - The Who
2. Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix
3. My Aim is True - Elvis Costello
4. Led Zeppelin 1
5. Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

Any of the top 3 could have been no.1, depends on my mood. Zep 1 suffers from it's non originality compared with the top 3. In other words, I had heard this sort of sound before Zep 1's release, unlike the top 3, even if it was mainly through hearing relevant strands of live stuff from the likes of The Who, Jeff Beck, Yardbirds etc. It seemed to be new and original to most people at the time though so wouldn't argue with it being others' no.1 choice.

sbrads

Eh? While Zep 1 is not in the highest echelons for its originality, but what about execution at hitherto unheard of levels.

What tracks pre 1968 have anywhere near the combination of intense singing, masterful guitar, and dynamic drumming of LZ 1’s 'versions' of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, You Shook Me, Dazed And Confused, or any other tracks for that matter??

Well, I said live, I saw a lot of bands in London/Kent from 67 -72, but for instance You Shook Me by the Jeff Beck Group was released before LZ1, and it's a flawed recording with unneeded strange keyboards, but listen to the guitar playing which is better than Page's and is what Page based his version on surely. LZ1 was the first recording of this type of music that 'all came together' and was and still is great to listen to, but I just value originality more highly than levels of execution. Now LZ2 DID possess the required level of originality to perhaps be my no.1 but it wasn't a debut album.

Ah I thought you meant live *albums (of which there few up to then).

I’ve heard You Shook Me by the Jeff Beck Group, and it mostly didn’t do much for me. I might listen again to the guitar work.

> I saw a lot of bands in London/Kent from 67 –72

Oh lucky man

Time to crank up my time machine
:cool:

rick57 said:
Scottmoose

Interesting genre ideas. Some of them:

1) Tubular Bells an indescribable genre ~ how about progressive rock?

3) Patti Smith Horses (Female Rock?? Not punk agreed. Art hard/ rock?
5) PJ Harvey -To Bring You My Love (Female Concept album -No, I'm not cheating, this is her as a solo artist, not as a band using her name.)
Ooh, there’s that sexism again – do we have “male rock”?

6) The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Progressive Rock) or Myth Rock?

Good points well made. My choices and placements were arbitary, and I didn't want to try cluttering things up by mentioning still more! Just a bit of fun, and some of my favourites really.
Patti in art rock? Sounds good to me. I didn't mention male rock, because that's what I classified Led Zep as in my mind. Bells as prog rock? Possibily -I've never defined it as that myself -but I suppose that's as reasonable a classification as any, probably better than most. Rick to me is prog -the myth style albums like The Mysths and Legends of King Arthur had their tongue very firmly in their cheek, and the majority of his output isn't like that, which is why I put it there; arbitary again though! Still, like them or not, ultimatley, all the albums everyone has mentioned are good and worth hearing. We all love music and it speaks to us in different ways! Good fun though, isn't it!

Best
Scott

What would make for a great debut album? I have a few questions and hopefully a few answers as well.
Considering a good album, you have to ask yourself a few things!
What are the parameters that makes a good album, for starters??
As for best debuts, as this thread is about, I have a few thoughts.
Here goes: Many great debut albums, relied on some specific things, going on in the particular time they where launched. Personally I do believe that a great Debut album depends on that very fact. Many albums mentioned in this thread, had their sthrenght, just because of that! An album, able to catch and express the "currents" going through our society, at some particular time, is almost bound to have succes, isn't it? To name a few, Sheryl Crowe's debut did hit big time, because of that! Great album as it is, I dont think it would have made the big scene, without this kind of "finger on the pulse" feeling you had at that time, listening to the album! The same goes for a lot of other artists. So a great debut, as I see it, depends on capturing the feel and spirit, going through society at that particular time!!
Nevermind with Nirvana, is another case of point!! I could ofcourse name many more, but do you think I am right on this????

Steen:cool:

timind said:
Alanis Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill" works on all the levels explained in the previous post. I love this album and so does my 17-year-old daughter. She listens to it all the time.
How about Jewels "Pieces of You?"

Jagged Little Pill is also not a first album. "Alanis" as she was simply known at the time had a ditsy dance-pop album before J.L.P.

Max

Montrose-Montrose

Van Halen- Van Halen.

Recipe for enjoyment (per person): 1/2 oz of field grown, not too strong, thank you very much..followed by 1.5 cases of decent beer to grease the rest of your party day/evening/morning..... ahh..those youthful days. I'd never do anything like that. :angel:

Both mindblowers, at the time. Totally original, when it was first heard by someone.. it completely stopped them in their tracks.

You turned toward the music..and followed it as it got louder, all the while thinking 'WTF is that?'.

I'm not the kind of person who plays these albums anymore, I've turned onto a cranky old man whenever somone tries to play these albums.

But I do listen to Rage Against The Machine, on vinyl!! and man, that music needs to be played LOUD!!

"**** YOU, I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!"..etc..etc.. gotta love it. (Killing in the name of...)

Peter Gabriel free sample DVD from B&W

Interesting. Very Interesting. I just got a free promo DVD from B&W & they feature Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" live. But of course you're listening to it with your own speakers so I'm not really sure of the point. But it's free.

Sorry, I'm new here - this is a comment to Rick57 post #21

& to all a good freebie just for visiting B&W's website & filling out the form. ;)

uuhmm.."I Robot" is 'The Alan Parsons Group's first release. Still my favorite.

I forgot my band new "Quiex II" 200gram copies of that and Supertramp's 'Breakfast In America' albums in Montreal, at the audio show. Lucky for me, someone I know has them. And will hopefully send them to me......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.