Best XLR chassis jack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SRMcGee said:

I'm not trying to incite anyone here, but I can't tell if the dismissal of sonic differences between XLR jacks is being made on the basis of real listening experience or an insincere, casual bravado. Some people love to cavalierly reject all things "high end" and others buy into the most expensive offerings in the market just because they can. I'm trying to be pragmatic here. Has anyone actually spent any time comparing XLR jacks?

Regards,
Scott

Brett said:
Scott, I would be STUNNED if you could tell the difference between the XLRs from Neutrik.

I have had quite a number of different Neutrik XLR's over the years. To tell you the truth, I usually just buy what's available, as long as it's Neutrik. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are many other brands that makes fine plugs, but I have encountered incompatibility problems in the past, when mating different brands of XLR's. Hence the choice to stick to Neutrik.

I have so far been unable to tell any difference between any of them. Now I have settled for the nickel plated body, silver plated pins version. Why? Well because they're dirt cheap, never caused any problems and are virtually indestructable.

Magura :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I suspect Neutrik's prices come down to two factors, cost of manufacture, (cast metal being more expensive than plastic for instance), and quantity. A popular variant may well be cheaper than one that costs less to make on a one-off basis, but isn't used in so many products. I suspect the latter is more important.

As for the rest, I completely agree with Magura and Brett, and I point you back to my post#2 in this thread.

Neutrik for me but if you must have smaller connectors and don't care about compatibility or indeed price the Lemo connectors should be the no1 choice. I would recommend the B series they are the most common even RS stock them.
I have used Lemo for many years and the only connector that comes close is perhaps Fischer.

I have compared the physical characteristics of Vampire and Neutrik XLR's, and I believe the Vampires are better. I examined the pins of both brands with a magnifying glass, and the Neutriks have small ridges on them compared to the Vampires smooth polishing. The soldering terminals are also a bit heftier on the Vampire. I have not bothered to compare the sound of the two because like is too short. Based on the construction, however, I offer that Vampire is the better of the two brands.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.