Best way to handle 25hz & down 2 Tempests

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to be fully OB down to 28hz, and the sealed subs in the dipole alignment below that. If the super low tuned BP's weren't so darned big, I probably would have used them in the dipole arrangement. I wouldn't try it with BR though because front radiation plus output subject to group delay would probably funk everything up.

You asked, can I hear a difference?..... absolutely, but at those frequencies I think the difference is mostly room interaction, not an audible difference b/w enclosure types.

Thanks John,

The reason I asked is that I thought below the rooms lowest mode (when the length is equal to 1/2 wavelength) the room operated in 'pressure' mode. In my room at least there are no room modes below 30Hz. Therefore I couldn't see any benefits for dipole operation wrt room modes that low.

Have you any links to info on the benefits of operating a dipole that low / dipoles arranged how you have ?

Cheers,

Rob.

I was going to address exactly that in my last post but got lazy. The sonic advantage of dipoles is not just at the modal frequencies of the room. That is typically all that's discussed because removing 2/3's of the modes is a big benefit and most think that room modes is the only problem with monopole bass.

IMHO the advantage is all across the bass range because you've eliminated most of the reflections period. The result is that dipole dispersion gives you a much higher percentage of directly radiated sound. Less reflections in the background sound means cleaner bass.

The big benefit for me is the much lower transmission of sound out of the room. I listen to a lot of music and watch movies late at night, so not disturbing others is a primary concern. Dipole bass is the only way I can get away with realistic SPL's at 2 or 3 in the morning. The dipole null is so strong that the effect moving into the on axis region of my seating area and desk is almost like putting on headphones.

No links. I've discussed this approach on a couple of forums and it seems to be something only a few have tried, but the others aren't sharing results because they want to make HT money off of it. The testing I've done indicates that the behavior in the low bass is more true to the dipole theory shared by Linkwitz than the behavior of typical FR dipole speakers. I believe this is due to the much longer wavelengths and huge "D", so small variations in the travel distance of the "rear wave" due to the route taken are insignificant.

I'm really waiting until I have everything fully set up to do measurements and present everything in a forum post all at once.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.