Best use for 2 JBL 2226j 15”

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’ve read too many of jshadz speaker build threads, I decided it was time to upgrade a couple tools in the hopes that I can clean up some rough spots. Waiting for amazon to deliver, in the meantime
I came across a pair of JBL 4731a pa cabs for less than $200. I couldn’t resist and was shocked when I got them home. They sound really good, can anyone comment on how the Denovo dna360+Seos combo compare to the JBL 2447j+2381waveguide? This is my first experience with a pro sound cab, I was surprised in a very good way.

The JBL will overperform on spl but the top end will be pretty bad compared to the smaller and smoother 360, particularly with the diffraction horn. 2206h are great drivers. Very smooth and easy to work with, they’re 12” versions of 2226 and play a little higher and smoother. The 2447 is a great driver for a midrange horn or high spl, not so much for refinement and extension.

You’re on a fun path my friend.

I’ve been putting off reconing for a couple of reasons. First, is it worth the considerable extra expense to have it done with genuine JBL parts at a service center? Second, since this is a conversion from a 2225 - 2234, I won’t have anything to reference when I’m setting the coil on some kits. Obviously the MacKenzie kit comes with that portion already done. This would be my first recone job, from my research it seems like MacKenzie, Simply Speakers, and The Speaker Exchange might all be good options? Should I have any concerns about the MacKenzie kit? I’m probably overthinking all this, I usually do on any first attempt, thanks for the ongoing help....

I came across a pair of JBL 4731a pa cabs for less than $200. I couldn’t resist and was shocked when I got them home. They sound really good, can anyone comment on how the Denovo dna360+Seos combo compare to the JBL 2447j+2381waveguide? This is my first experience with a pro sound cab, I was surprised in a very good way.

The JBL will overperform on spl but the top end will be pretty bad compared to the smaller and smoother 360, particularly with the diffraction horn. [..] The 2447 is a great driver for a midrange horn or high spl, not so much for refinement and extension.

You’re on a fun path my friend.

For $200, I wouldn't have been able to resist either. I recently made a similar purchase, picking up whole cabinets for less than the price of the compression drivers :)

What Badman said is true, the 360 will go much higher, and the main benefit of the bigger unit is overkill SPL capability (more than you'll ever need for home use).
...but what you said is also true - the bigger drivers can still sound "really good".
This doc shows the 2446H driver + 2381 horn combo as pretty smooth to ~9kHz, with no large spikes. If yours has a similar raw response, and the crossover is well done, I'm not surprised that it sounds good.
https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/tn_v1n31.pdf

If you wanted to try this driver on a non-diffraction horn, the SEOS horns won't work (without hacks - they are all 1" throat), but the Pyle-Pro-PH916 looks like a decent alternative. It is no longer available at Parts Express, but there are some on ebay for $30 each. This blog has on axis and polars of the horn (with a Faital driver).
trying Pyle PH916 constant directivity waveguide: first impressions | MiniRIG

Found a couple 2225h drivers, bad news is I think they need a recone. [...] The good news is if I recone I can convert them to 2234/2235 and use each paired w a 2226 for low end and keep the 2226 in the 80-1000 range. Anything wrong with trying to implement this?

You already have 18" subs, you already have the good 15" drivers in the title, you already have 4731a cabs - containing four more good 12" drivers. Those are good JBL woofer options.

a) given that you already have some good drivers, why not just use them? I'd have thought you have plenty to do & learn already, without adding a recone job to the list.

b) given that you have a couple of good (original JBL) drivers already, why are you considering doing an off brand recone to save money?
- the recone is only worth doing if you are confident that the result will be better than the woofers you already have.​
- doing nothing will be even cheaper than a bargain recone​

Basically, I think these damaged drivers are a needless distraction. If I was in your position, I'd put them aside, and maybe tinker with them later, when the main project is done.

Also - are there HF drivers in the JBL 4868a cab? I couldn't find any info for that number* If so, you may already have almost everything you need (so there may be no point in picking up the DNA360).

*maybe you meant 4686A or 4648A (could you check the model number or add some pix)? I got some cheap JBL boxes recently, and I think it was cos the seller read the model number upside down, and thus created a listing that defied easy Googling :D

You were right, 4648a w two 2226j woofers. I’ve been using it to help fill in the bottom end on a pair of Altec 605a’s and now the JBL cabs and I love how they sound for music. The 18s are part of the home theater upstairs, they have solid output into the teens, I feel like they are better as a home theater sub than they would be for music . I love how the 2 15s sound now. When I got the other drivers that need reconed, it just seemed like a good opportunity to do some more exploring, I had no idea at the time that they would need work, or that a JBL repair could run into the $500 range....

Your suggestions make a lot of sense, But I’m hesitant to break up any speakers that sound as good as all of these do which leaves the 2225s as odd man out to be put together with the Seos/Denovo combo. From what I’ve read the 2234 brings a few things to the table that the 2226 might be a little lacking in. Sadly, I’ve not heard any so I have to rely on others accounts of what to expect. I’m hoping the Seos outperform the JBL cd/horn and then I’d feel good about parting out the P.A. cabs to fund some other projects.

Your suggestions make a lot of sense, But I’m hesitant to break up any speakers that sound as good as all of these do

Me too - I've hung onto gear for years when I should have either found a use for it, or sold it. Maybe due to this?
Endowment Effect

...but consider:

If your JBL 4731a cabs are in mint condition, you could re-sell them for > $1000. Profit! That'd easily pay for all the parts of a 15" project: rebuilds of your damaged 2225h woofers, the SEOS 15 horns, and everything else.

If the cabs are not mint, or have been modified, they won't have as much resale value. In this case, there are a couple of reasons to modify them, or break them up for parts:

- the grille and big 'lip' around the front of the box is valid in a PA speaker, to protect the drivers from damage during gigs and transport. For home use, you may not need this protection, so these are just a source of diffraction.

- as already covered, the HF section could be improved upon.

You were right, 4648a w two 2226j woofers.

This was designed for cinemas (static, not gigging use), hence no grille etc. The simplicity makes this a nice-looking cabinet, in my opinion... so I see some validity in keeping this box intact.

However, for mono use in a music system, you'd be using it just as a sub, right (rather than as the midbass it was designed to be)?

This doesn't seem like an ideal use of the 2226j drivers. One possibility could be to remove them, use them for your project, and load the 4648a box with dedicated LF drivers.

If you made only reversible mods (e.g. tuning it by partially stuffing the ports), you you could always change your mind later, and put the JBL woofers back in.

JBL pa cabs are not mint unfortunately, they are most likely no more valuable than what I can part them out for. They are much more valuable to me as projects. After this project I’ll probably build more house friendly enclosures for a pair of 12” 2 ways and sell off the leftovers.

Everything I have read agrees with you that the 2226 are NOT subwoofers, but they sure do sound good backing up these other speakers! This also makes me very curious about how the 2234 would sound.

I hope my router upgrades get delivered soon, the waiting is killing me. I really want to get a test cab up and start measuring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.