Best TK2050 assembled board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Im looking for a Tk2050 assembled board for 8ohm speakers other than the Sure electronics kits.

Ive had a look at the Hifimediy page but their 8 ohm T1 kit uses a "sta510a" chip and the T4 which uses "sta517b". Does this have similar sound signature to the TK2050?

Im currently using the Dayton DT100a which is nice but looking for a step up in quality and bass performance.

Thanks

Remember to use a good power supply. That will probably help in bass performance too.
I have not tried TK2050, but some other class d types. Cheap SMPS power supplies are very good value, but they are not as good as a traditional linear supply or a SMPS designed for audioamplifier use.

The standard laptop power supplies are designed for continuos/steady current draws, and not quick bursts as in audio.

I use 300 watt toroid for NXP8950th based amps (connex), and the bassperformance is really good. A Panasonic SA-XR50 (equibit/texas instruments class d) that are rated similar to the NXP8950th amps, is not nearly as good a bass performer as the NXP modules. At moderate to high volume the SA-XR50 will sound harsh and loose control at freq. below 200 Hz (just at guess). Many have tried to replace the power supply on SA-XR50 with very good results.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I think i'll go for the T1 for my 8 ohm speakers. Should be a good project to get my feet wet.

I have not tried TK2050, but some other class d types. Cheap SMPS power supplies are very good value, but they are not as good as a traditional linear supply or a SMPS designed for audioamplifier use.

Newb question here, where can I find a SMPS that is designed for amp use?

Linear supply is just a normal old fashioned power supply.

Like this class d amp
dual1803_2.jpg

So would I just need a Toroid or is there something else required? I like the idea of a power supply in a case, to protect myself from high voltages.

A Meanwell have exposed terminals, so this is also potentially dangerous.

A linear power supply is a transformer, rectivier and capacitors. If the rectifier and capacitors is in the board (this is the case of a lot of class d modules), then you just need the transformer.

You guys are kidding me right ? :mad:

Computer supplies are designed for current bursts even more so than audio amps, audio amps are the constant sources that hardly change in terms of voltage and not current
Computer DC-DC converters draw surges way faster than any Class D amp will do and on top of that if you are designing Class D make it small not use a massive toroid and massive caps. It's JUST OVERKILL.
Why feed linear into a switching device? Do some soul searching you audio idiots

Most people are reporting better results with the SMPS supplies.

When I researched it. This was the most popular, so I bought one. It is very simple to connect up. It can be bought from difimediy also. Either off ebay, or their own site: Meanwell NES 350W 27V

N.B. They are now selling this power supply, which is much more compact. I would probably have gone for one of these if they were available, just because of its size. I don't know how they are favoured in comparison. SMPS300R 28V 230V power supply

I never said that linear is better than SMPS, just that it's better that a bad SMPS like the typical laptop brick or underrated SMPS like in the Panasonic SA-XR50. I also never said that you should overrate the transformer and caps. Please read what I write!

You can have good results with both types. But if you have a class d amp with low PSRR the a good SMPS will most likely be much better that a standard linear supply.

You guys are kidding me right ? :mad:

Computer supplies are designed for current bursts even more so than audio amps, audio amps are the constant sources that hardly change in terms of voltage and not current
Computer DC-DC converters draw surges way faster than any Class D amp will do and on top of that if you are designing Class D make it small not use a massive toroid and massive caps. It's JUST OVERKILL.
Why feed linear into a switching device? Do some soul searching you audio idiots

I'm not an expert/designer and have to "believe" in something :).

If you look at the average SMPS it do not have peak current, that is much higher than average current. Linear supply will have more peak current.

I also just claimed that the standard laptop brick is not suited for hifi. It's power factor will most likely be very low, and it's EMI/RFI will also be very high. Well designed smps for audio use is another matter. I don't think I will be able to tell the difference. Class D in high end audio uses both linear supply and smps.

I have talkes to a company that produces both class d amp and smps. They suggested linear supply for hifi use, and smps for pro audio use. Not because of differences i sound, but because weight didn't matter so much in normal hifi application. So who should I believe:confused:

In the end I can only trust my own ears. Because I know that amplifier and power supply design is not easy, and you can't just say that class d and smps are the right combination, and class AB and linear supply is the only combination.

Reading up a bit more is making me a bit nervous about attempting this project. I dont have the required knowledge and experience to wire up a naked power supply into a chassis, earth it etc.

I am considering using the 24v adaptor that comes with the dayton amp. I realise it wont give me the best possible result but it seems like the safe option for a complete newb.

If you get grounding issues, you can end up frying a class d board (been there done that).

There are a couple of semi pro audio amps, that might interest you. Behringer have Europower EPQ series (not all are class d, but several are) and NU series. These have retail cost around 220$. More that a Dayton, but still very good value. NU series have noise fans, EPQ450 have no fans.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.