Best Subwoofer enclosure - Starting point

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I am fully aware that this is a very open-ended question with a lot of variables at play, like room size, speaker, the current system, what it will be used for, etc. etc. But regardless here is the question

My end goal is deep clean bass and would be used predominantly for movies, but I'm curious as to what subwoofer enclosure types everyone suggests for a home audio subwoofer. I plan on designing and building my own, but I'm not 100% sure where my starting point should be. Currently, I'm leaning towards a T-Line or even perhaps a 6th order bandpass (depending on the speaker) but I'm not sure.

Suggestions for a good starting point would be great and I can then adjust the design to accommodate my personal variables, but as I mentioned. I'm not even sure where to start.

Thanks!

GM

Joined 2003
Yeah, need to know the particulars of the HT [dimensional layout, etc.] along with performance requirements, but in general if you don't have the proper shape for H x W slap echo decay, etc., then ideally a high power mains sub system combined with several smaller ones for the surrounds, general 3D room modes distribution, so some [in] wall mounted too.

GM

edit: Some sub location research: https://www.harman.com/sites/default/files/multsubs_0.pdf

Last edited:
If it's for movies and there are multiple seats then I'd start looking to multiple sub setups rather than one large sub.

Oh no... you multiple LARGE subs... LOL.

For HT I think sealed or ported will be the most common suggestions, small driver bandpass isn't a good idea ever IMO.. I am yet to hear one that isn't a 1 note wonder and even with a large driver the output tends to lag noticably.

Very nice, though surprised it could adequately ventilate the amp.

GM

It probably does not heat much given that it is a homely environment.
The author is a person that I knew before he made that project, and he is not an initiate, so I imagine that already that is contemplated.
It may be that the place in the center of the furniture is open from behind, or the amplifier will have a fan in the style of Inuke (you can see in the photo a relic that I built many years ago, it still works perfectly, the fan that I used is very low noise, it's AC, 220 volts and I made it switchable.)
So maybe Inuke carries one of those DC dumps from computers ...
I'm sorry OT ......

Attachments

• Ventilador 220 volts conmutable.jpg
    Ventilador 220 volts conmutable.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Well, can't see what amp it is, just its size and assume it has one or more fans on the rear, but the narrow gap sides, top are so narrow compared to what it takes to keep my HT receiver cool just running in stereo that I'm surprised, though confident he provided as much as recommended, so wonder what type amp design it is.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.