Best Speakers for $3000.00 pair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are kits like the Seas Odin or ScanSpeak Revelator available from Madisound with a cabinet. I would love to hear the Orion, but by the time one builds all the crossovers and buys the 8 or so amps, it is way past 3K even as a DIY.

For the venerable Orion 3.3.1 not by much...my total construction costs in 2009 for the speakers including ASP, cabinets (DIY solid walnut sides), drivers, Neutrik connectors & cables was $3035. I picked up a Sonance Sonamp 1250 MKII (12x50W) on eBay for $525. Orion 4 uses higher cost Seas bass drivers that will take the cost closer to $4K. This certainly illustrates the DIY advantage as turnkey Orion 4 from Wood Artistry starts at $14,750!!

Emerald physics Cs2's
Just keep checking audiogone, there are none on there right now but just keep checking every few days.
In my experience, they are the best for eliminating room reflections.
That's what you need in a room without the hassle of room treatments.
Or you can go the opposite direction AKA, linkwitz, and get an omni.
Duvell's Planets, or linkwitz own....Pluto.

If you did not catch my hint, go listen to come 2Ce Vandersteins.

err...hmm...I think you mean Vandersteen. :)

well, a friend got a nice pair of old Cervin Wega
big 3way with 15" woofer
and with the early US built midrange
quite interesting mid driver
might be difficult to find in good condition
but dont buy the later model, only the first one
its big and ugle, but a real hammer
you may call me crazy when I say this
but I think it will be hard beat with just 3000USD
but then, I have no idea what 3000 will buy you in US
in EU, I guess not much more than a pair of small 2ways
that is if we talk good quality speakers

but you will need big amps to driver them properly
or else they sound like crap, surely
but with good amps, wow

Tinitus,

Has someone hacked your account? I have seen your posts in the past and they are usually better formatted than this one.

BTW is b767 still active on his/her thread?

Last edited:
seems so
15" woofers and 6" midrange, thats a no good at all
Im sure a 2way with 6" woofer is much better hifi
:cool:

whatevr, buy what you think sounds good
what others say doesnt matter
unless ofcourse it matches your own opinion :D

have you ever heard a 1000 USD Cornscala? sound much much better than many commercial speakers out there ;)

above 100db of efficiency and of course 15" woofer:

Attachments

• CornScala.jpg
    CornScala.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 170
  • done1.JPG
    done1.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 174
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
sounds like lots of midrange, and little bass
and the claim might be 'clean detailed bass'
which would be true
but midrange would easily tend to 'stick out', and be a bit 'annoying'

might be claimed to be 'revealing' or 'true to the recording'
in such case I might recommend a tone control
actually, it should be biamped with a tone control for each amp :D

sounds like lots of midrange, and little bass
and the claim might be 'clean detailed bass'
which would be true
but midrange would easily tend to be a bit 'annoying'
I like the general format, but I wouldn't use those drivers or horns, though my solution would be more costly than $1k/pr.

The 100dB sensitivity is wishful thinking if intended as a broadband value, but could easily be the efficiency of the MF and HF sections alone, just not when padded down to match the LF driver.

I found the specs on my PC and the value I have for the driver is 95.3dB.

Go to Lyric Hi Fi at 1221 Lexington Ave. They have Magnepans. Listen to the 1.7. If it fits in your space, and you like it, consider buying it.

Unfortunately, no one in NY has picked up Vandersteen since Singer changed over to an appointment only store. Audio Connection in Verona NJ has a good reputation, and they have Vandersteens, and Magnepans. You might consider a trip out there.

I think that if you have the space, Vandersteens are very, very hard to beat at their price points, perhaps even at all. Magnepan has loyal followers, and with good reason. The Vandersteen 2 and the Magnepan 1.7 are often cited as the best speakers you can get in your price range, and they both leave some wiggle room in the price.

Of course, you need a big space for those speakers. If you are doing apartment listening, and you don't have a dedicated listening room, powered monitors might be the way to go. Really great sound can be had in your price range in studio monitors. Look at Focal, Adam, and Dynaudio.

Get out there and listen!

Happy hunting.

the woofer is Eminence CW1526C with about 100db efficiency. will be more sensitive in a horn structure
I got the specs from Crites and it is 95.3dB and it is not in a horn, it's direct radiating ported enclosure you showed, so NO horn loading of the LF driver in a CORNSCALA. Look on Crites site, the build images for the Cornscala show it is a simple ported box.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
you better listen to Brett
besides, its simple basic stuff

well, I guess it might sound fine with flea tube amps, at moderate SPL
which is cool too
as long as you know that its what its about

any 'ordinary' solid state amp will probably flesh your ears to pieces on those speakers

you better listen to Brett
besides, its simple basic stuff

well, I guess it might sound fine with flea tube amps, at moderate SPL
which is cool too
as long as you know that its what its about

any 'ordinary' solid state amp will probably flesh your ears to pieces on those speakers

Uh actually I don't have a Cornscala but I do have Cornwall and La Scala. they sound pretty good with 1-2 watt of power. the sound is not annoying at all and it took a turn for the better when I used tractrix mid range horn :rolleyes: I have had lots of speakers but Horns sound much better to my ears :) more details and a good balance between micro and macro dynamics and of course very low THD and a big range of low-powered amplifiers

Efficiency differs from SPL sensitivity...
Well, duh.
CW1526 will do 104-105db@1w/m in a Klipschorn or La Scala folded horn ;) don't forget "Horns are natural amplifiers so they increase efficiency" :rolleyes:
Who gives a f... what they'll do in a horn? In a Cornscala they're not in a horn, they're a direct radiator
do they have no horn loading, so it is irrelevant.
I have owned Khorn, LaScala (factory and DIY, also djk ported), Heresy and KPT250. By the time I'd engineered all the faults out of the Khorn, there were no Klipsch parts left in system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.